OSX schema extensions problem when upgrading AD 2000 to AD..

I am testing the upgrade from AD 2000 to AD 2003 in a replica of our domain.
A couple years ago, our (ex) Mac tech had us make some schema modifications
to support OSX. They werent implemented properly and are now causing issues
when extending the AD 2000 schema to support AD 2003. The specific problem is
outlined in MS KB Article ID 887426. I am having trouble following the
procedures outlined in the article. When I run the ldifde script that is
supposed to rename the errant Apple UniquID, I get a "bad value" error
related to the following line;
dn: CN=unixID,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=X
Has anyone seen this error? Is there a typo in the article?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
--
Jeff Hague
MCSE

So which ldif command specifically fails? Is it failing when it
performs the Modify or the modrdn?

chris

Go into ADSIEDIT and ensure that
CN=unixID,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=X exists (obviously you
replaced DC=X with your domain....)

chris

It fails when I run this:

ldifde -i -f rename.txt -v -c DC=X dc=rmc,dc=edu dn:
CN=unixID,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=X changetype: Modify replace:
lDAPDisplayName lDAPDisplayName: x500uniqueIdentifier - dn:
CN=unixID,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=X changetype: modrdn newrdn:
cn=x500uniqueIdentifier deleteoldrdn: 1 dn: changetype: Modify add:
schemaUpdateNow schemaUpdateNow: 1

It fails on the modify and never gets to the modrdn.
Am I changing the appropriate things in the script - dc-rmc, dc=edu, etc...?

I did find the step before this seems to have a typo - it says to run;

At the command prompt, type ldifde -i -f rename.txt -v -c DC=X
dc=forest,dc=root , and then press ENTER.

When I run that as written, it looks to import a file named rename.txt, but
I dont have such a file. I suspect that they meant to leave the -i switch off
to create a file name rename.txt and then that becomes the input to the
script I am having trouble with. Is this a wrong assumption? Where does the
rename.txt file come from if so?

Jeff

"Chris Malone" wrote:

> So which ldif command specifically fails? Is it failing when it
> performs the Modify or the modrdn?
>
> chris

Actually, I didnt get rid of the DC=X part, just the dc=forest,dc=root part.
Several of the other scripts I have been playing (fixing the Exch2000 Schema
issue for instance) use DC=X as written so I left that there. Ooooops, Ill
give it a shot - thanks!

"Chris Malone" wrote:

> Go into ADSIEDIT and ensure that
> CN=unixID,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=X exists (obviously you
> replaced DC=X with your domain....)
>
> chris

CN=unixID,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=rmc,DC=edu does not exist, but
CN=macid,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=rmc,DC=edu does. Changing the script
still results in an error although now it says
Invalid Parameter: Bad argument 'Modify'

????