Dl'ing mods

Last response: in Video Games
July 29, 2004 6:06:30 AM

Dear Sirahs, Elves, Dwarves, Bretons, Orcs, Dakota,Souix, Giants, Artful
Dodgers, And Orioles Cookies..........
I have tried to dl mods many times. I have had no success installing
them. I think the reason is due to Winzip being a 30 day utility and the
time expired long ago. Is there a way to buy it w/o going online with a
credit card? I have three or four nice lookin' mods, but they never
install!! It galls my gibes enormously! Some similair unzip and install
app? Tonights messages were especially piquing, in that I visited some
beautiful websites, but felt putout 'cause I can't have them all. Would be
infra-red and Doppler cool if I could get a few mods and play a new game
with them all in place. Man! Shitfire!!!!
Is it my expired utility? Is there a better way? I am unable to buy
Winzip in any computer type store. I am unwilling to buy it online. I am,
temporarily of course, suffering a computer crisis.
I am on vacation. I can ask any stoopid question I want. ;>)

More about : ing mods

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 8:00:48 AM

"Dennis Curtis" <curtisd1@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<GYYNc.286$i_.265@nwrddc04.gnilink.net>...
> Dear Sirahs, Elves, Dwarves, Bretons, Orcs, Dakota,Souix, Giants, Artful
> Dodgers, And Orioles Cookies..........
> I have tried to dl mods many times. I have had no success installing
> them. I think the reason is due to Winzip being a 30 day utility and the
> time expired long ago. Is there a way to buy it w/o going online with a
> credit card? I have three or four nice lookin' mods, but they never
> install!! It galls my gibes enormously! Some similair unzip and install
> app? Tonights messages were especially piquing, in that I visited some
> beautiful websites, but felt putout 'cause I can't have them all. Would be
> infra-red and Doppler cool if I could get a few mods and play a new game
> with them all in place. Man! Shitfire!!!!
> Is it my expired utility? Is there a better way? I am unable to buy
> Winzip in any computer type store. I am unwilling to buy it online. I am,
> temporarily of course, suffering a computer crisis.
> I am on vacation. I can ask any stoopid question I want. ;>)

Check to see if you can unzip any files anywhere. If so, it is
most likely not your utility. The version of winzip I have lets you
use an evaluation version to UNzip files indefinitely.

Sometimes the mods do not automatically unpack into the correct
directories. You can see what directories they are unpacking into by
examining one of the columns in winzip. You may have to expand the
column to read enough to be helpful. Mods that are just an esp should
be going into your morrwind datafiles folder (eg C:/MW/datafiles).
More complex mods with meshes, sounds, etc should be putting those
files into the appropriate subfolder of data files.

Try a simple mod first, that just has an esp file. Put it into
your datafiles folder and see if it shows up as an option (box that is
checkable) under data files at the first boot screen. RealSignPosts
or BookRotate would be suitable, as they do very little to the game
play.
July 29, 2004 1:14:29 PM

Even an expired version should still unzip successfully, Do you get any
errors from Winzip or Morrowind when your try to install these mods? If your
running WinXP it supports Zip's as folders natively. An alternative is to
get WinRAR that not only supports Zip's, but it's own RAR format too.

Have fun vacationing!!!!

Alex

"Dennis Curtis" <curtisd1@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Dear Sirahs, Elves, Dwarves, Bretons, Orcs, Dakota,Souix, Giants, Artful
> Dodgers, And Orioles Cookies..........
> I have tried to dl mods many times. I have had no success installing
> them. I think the reason is due to Winzip being a 30 day utility and the
> time expired long ago. Is there a way to buy it w/o going online with a
> credit card? I have three or four nice lookin' mods, but they never
> install!! It galls my gibes enormously! Some similair unzip and install
> app? Tonights messages were especially piquing, in that I visited some
> beautiful websites, but felt putout 'cause I can't have them all. Would be
> infra-red and Doppler cool if I could get a few mods and play a new game
> with them all in place. Man! Shitfire!!!!
> Is it my expired utility? Is there a better way? I am unable to buy
> Winzip in any computer type store. I am unwilling to buy it online. I am,
> temporarily of course, suffering a computer crisis.
> I am on vacation. I can ask any stoopid question I want. ;>)

July 29, 2004 3:54:56 PM

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:06:30 GMT, Dennis Curtis <curtisd1@verizon.net>

> I have tried to dl mods many times. I have had no success installing
> them. I think the reason is due to Winzip being a 30 day utility and the
> time expired long ago.

Definitely not. Winzip keeps bugging you, but it continues to work.

Did you *activate* the mods before launching Morrowind? Simply copying the
files into your Morrowind directory isn't enough.
Please give an example what exactly you were doing to install a mod.
Perhaps we might figure out your problem that way.

Bjoern
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 5:19:01 PM

wrote:

>Dear Sirahs, Elves, Dwarves, Bretons, Orcs, Dakota,Souix, Giants, Artful
>Dodgers, And Orioles Cookies..........
> I have tried to dl mods many times. I have had no success installing
>them. I think the reason is due to Winzip being a 30 day utility and the
>time expired long ago. Is there a way to buy it w/o going online with a
>credit card?

If your problem is that they're in .zip files, try using 7zip. It's a
totally free alternative that supports zip files and quite a few other
formats as well. Get it from http://www.7-zip.org/

--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

are you unzipping the mods into the righ directory and then invoking them
via the game interface?

!