Standard IDE Harddrive for Magicolor 3300 - possible?

Hi,
thought about installing a harddrive in my Magicolor 3300 but it seems
Konica Minolta uses some kind of unconventional plug (50 pin). But
since they talk about "IDE Harddrives" in the manual I hope someone can
help me out with the wiring diagram? And by the way, I need a service
manual too if possible.

Kind regards
Marc Wolters

Thanks for the answer but how can I connect the HDD? The connector on
the printers mainboard has 50 pins, normally IDE connectors have "only"
40 pins or 44 pins for 2,5" drives.

Kind regards
Marc Wolters

Mark,

The harddrive used is a standard 2,5" (laptop) harddrive.

Regards
Jeff

Marc Wolters <roundel@gmx.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the answer but how can I connect the HDD? The connector on
> the printers mainboard has 50 pins, normally IDE connectors have "only"
> 40 pins or 44 pins for 2,5" drives.

The extra pins could be for jumpers. Still... 50 pins suggests SCSI.

Thats it - I didn't mention the jumpers. So this means Pin 1 - 40 =
IDE, Pin 41 - 44 = Power, Pin 45 - 50 = Jumpers, right?

ME

In message <1116009006.925038.147470@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, Marc
Wolters <roundel@gmx.net> writes
>Thanks for the answer but how can I connect the HDD? The connector on
>the printers mainboard has 50 pins, normally IDE connectors have "only"
>40 pins or 44 pins for 2,5" drives.

Try talking to a hard drive seller with a brain and they might work it
out for you. I once bought a hitachi 2.5" drive for an ibm laptop and
it didn't work - eventually I was put through to a european head of
something for hitachi who instructed me to snap four pins off (rather
scary to do to a new drive but it worked!)

--
Timothy

Indeed the buss part of a 2,5"drive is 44 pins, but if you include the
master/slave jumpers you'll get 50 pins.
Thats the reason for the 50 pins connector.

regards
jeff

"Warren Block" <wblock@wonkity.com> schreef in bericht
> Marc Wolters <roundel@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Thanks for the answer but how can I connect the HDD? The connector on
>> the printers mainboard has 50 pins, normally IDE connectors have "only"
>> 40 pins or 44 pins for 2,5" drives.
>
> The extra pins could be for jumpers. Still... 50 pins suggests SCSI.
>
> --
> Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

Yes, that's it.
I don't know how you plan to attach the drive to the controller since
Konica/Minolta (and former Qms) products use a proprietary bracket to secure
the drive to the controllerboard.
using doublesided tape to stick it directly on the controller might not bee
such a good idea since the chips you'll be covering won't be able to keep
cool.
I'd ask around to see if anyone's got a scrapped qms printer and doesn't
have use for this bracket.

> Thats it - I didn't mention the jumpers. So this means Pin 1 - 40 =
> IDE, Pin 41 - 44 = Power, Pin 45 - 50 = Jumpers, right?

Well, duct tape is always a good idea but I choosed to modify an old
plastic floppy frame for this job. Not state of the art but does it.
Maybe I add a little fan under this construction in the next days but
getting the drive itself to work is more important now. When the
printer boots it says "Disk & Flash Sys Loader 1.01" and hangs - the
printer itself works fine and the HDD, too but both togehter won't it
seems...Which HDD is used by KM for their HDD Upgrade Packs?

And by the way, do you know the service password for this printer?

This means they charge more than 400 EUR for a HDD Upgrade Kit with a
HDD > 2,2 GB - pretty godd deal...for KM;)

Well, I tried to let it run for a longer time now and it seems to work
- I get "System Error: Disk not present" now before it hangs but I
think this is because of the too large drive(s) - currently the
smallest drive I have here has 8,?? GB. I'll try get one below 2,2 GB
in the next days to get this thing finally running. Thanks for your
help.

btw: I wanted to install a fan because the drive has 7200 rpm and
becomes a little hot on the bottom...maybe not necessary - just to be
on the safe side. But I don't think I find a drive below 2,2 GB with
more than 5400 rpm so there should be really no need for an extra fan.

If you have a space of approx. 1cm (or half Inch) then there's no need to
place an extra fan.
As for hanging with "Disk & Flash Sys Loader 1.01", usualy it takes about 5
minutes for the printer to initialise the hard disk after you first
installed it.
The HDD used by KM is usualy a Hitachi drive (Toshiba is also used but less
common) with a max supported size of 2,2GB.
The service password should be 3300mqi , but I advise you not to use it
since there is nothing in there but a maintenance counter to reset.