Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Samsung Sues LG Display for Lacking Innovation

Last response: in News comments
November 21, 2012 3:09:21 PM

I didn't know you could sue for the lack of innovation..
Score
November 21, 2012 3:11:59 PM

In that case, the millions of iPhone 5 users should also sue Apple.
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 21, 2012 3:13:45 PM

No wait, the whole smartphone/tablet industry and consumers should sue Apple for the iPhone 5.
Score
November 21, 2012 3:20:32 PM

axilerI didn't know you could sue for the lack of innovation..

Samsung is trying to say that the patents LG has are invalid, because the patents were not innovative. Samsung believes the patents should never have been given, because they brought nothing new that wasinnovative.

It beaks down to this...

I cant patent taking a step where you start with your right foot, becasue its too basic to walking. The patent of taking a first step with your right foot is not innovative.
Score
November 21, 2012 3:28:34 PM

axilerI didn't know you could sue for the lack of innovation..

Samsung is suing to get rid of LG's patents because they lack innovation. You can't patent something that already exists. A patent is supposed to be for a new, unique product.
Score
November 21, 2012 3:32:58 PM

Wow...this could void ALL of iCrapple's patents!!!

When can we start!!!
Score
November 21, 2012 3:39:19 PM

At least they fight over some technology not about a rectangular rounded corner shape like others do.
Score
November 21, 2012 4:02:04 PM

The article is misleading, especially the title. The key point of the suit is that Samsung wants certain LGD's patents invalidated on the basis of lack of innovation, not LGD's total lack of innovation. Please don't be a yellow tabloid, Tom's Hardware.
Score
November 21, 2012 4:03:38 PM

If I do recall, IBM has a patent on a process of filing for a patent.

The entire patent system is a sick joke for the software/hardware business.
Score
November 21, 2012 4:27:22 PM

wanderer11Samsung is suing to get rid of LG's patents because they lack innovation. You can't patent something that already exists. A patent is supposed to be for a new, unique product.

Sorry, you're wrong. There are countless patents for hammers and light bulbs. If you invent a better hammer, you're allowed to patent it, as long as it's different from existing hammers.

Another complaint people try to use to invalidate a patent is saying it's obvious. Obvious to who? All good ideas are obvious AFTER you've seen it. That's why people go "why didn't I think of that?" when they some new idea.
Score
November 21, 2012 4:32:01 PM

davewolfgangWow...this could void ALL of iCrapple's patents!!! When can we start!!!

An article that doesn't even involve Apple yet some loser tries to bring them into the argument anyway. And even using the term "iCrapple" with the properly capitalized C. What are you, 12?
Score
November 21, 2012 4:49:17 PM

Sweet, im going to sue EA and activision and this basis as well!
Score
November 21, 2012 5:08:19 PM

ericburnbySorry, you're wrong. There are countless patents for hammers and light bulbs. If you invent a better hammer, you're allowed to patent it, as long as it's different from existing hammers.Another complaint people try to use to invalidate a patent is saying it's obvious. Obvious to who? All good ideas are obvious AFTER you've seen it. That's why people go "why didn't I think of that?" when they some new idea.

On the flip side, how do you identify innovation for software or hardware? What do you do when companies (such as Rambus) sit on their patents for more than a decade and never attempt to use it other than setting up a minefield for other companies? What do you do if someone patented your design, YEARS after you were the first one to build it, and got sued?
Score
November 21, 2012 5:12:10 PM

ericburnby said:
An article that doesn't even involve Apple yet some loser tries to bring them into the argument anyway. And even using the term "iCrapple" with the properly capitalized C. What are you, 12?

LMAO...what are you, the forum police?

iCrapple (see what I did there...????) has 1,000's of patents for things that DID already exist before they even filed, but yet those patents were approved anyway (we really need to check the approver's house to see how much new stuff he has from them). This would be a way to void those (yes) CLEARLY obvious "ideas", and already in-use tech.

Patents are supposed to be used for something that doesn't already exist so the creator/inventor can reap the reward for invention. Not used for something that's already in use - JUST to prevent others from using it.

It DOES relate to the story.
Score
November 21, 2012 5:22:10 PM

If they could, you know, compete a little faster, that would be awesome. Maybe get this desktop monitor thing going?
Score
November 21, 2012 6:17:32 PM

murzarIn that case, the millions of iPhone 5 users should also sue Apple.

Apple is not even mentioned in this article, and I was just waiting for the first anti-apple message in the comments. Congrats
Score
November 21, 2012 6:42:29 PM

Apparently Samsung is now big enough to start suing competitors. Even though Apple gets the most publicity these types of litigation is very common...sue me and I will find something to sue you in return. Then hope for a truce...lol.
Score
November 21, 2012 6:45:32 PM

ericburnbyAn article that doesn't even involve Apple yet some loser tries to bring them into the argument anyway. And even using the term "iCrapple" with the properly capitalized C. What are you, 12?

iHaters are a trolling bunch. It has become a running joke within TH, no harm done :) 
Score
November 21, 2012 6:56:46 PM

robochumpiHaters are a trolling bunch. It has become a running joke within TH, no harm done

I don't think it's a joke. I think people are really cursing at their computer screens about how much they hate apple. It's sickening.
Score
November 21, 2012 7:01:29 PM

baconeaterI don't think it's a joke. I think people are really cursing at their computer screens about how much they hate apple. It's sickening.

Then its truly sad. Apple is a great American company and they have a right to hate on Apple if they must. Personally I prefer to buy from American company than always from foreign companies since that was a trend during the 80s-90s. Glad to see USA firmly back in the consumer electronics industry!!!
Score
November 21, 2012 8:10:18 PM

it should be decided by the way of the sword. Each company will have a champion, and the champions will fight in the arena. Whoever wins -> owns the loser's patents
Score
November 21, 2012 8:38:26 PM

A Bad DayIf I do recall, IBM has a patent on a process of filing for a patent.The entire patent system is a sick joke for the software/hardware business.

IBM filed for the patent. They haven't actually received it yet.
Score
Anonymous
November 21, 2012 10:56:40 PM

samsungs attorneys must be bored
Score
November 22, 2012 1:32:53 AM

robochumpThen its truly sad. Apple is a great American company and they have a right to hate on Apple if they must. Personally I prefer to buy from American company than always from foreign companies since that was a trend during the 80s-90s. Glad to see USA firmly back in the consumer electronics industry!!!

apple doesnt make anything in the usa, so u fail there
Score
November 22, 2012 1:44:26 AM

I understand what Samsung is saying.

The patent system is going crazy... like you can patent "round corners" of a rectangle ???

whats next?

Patents should be given to SERIOUS Ideas .
Score
November 22, 2012 2:53:09 AM

I filed a patent today for the comment box. I'll see you all in court.
Score
November 22, 2012 4:04:07 AM

Until the orginal Iphone came out you could have sued all the other smart phone makers for lacking innovation. Same could be said of when the Ipad came out. Sure there are plenty of great smartphones/tablets on the market now. This is an LG/Samsung article, Apple should never have been included in the comments but since so many did. I add my little bit.
Score
November 22, 2012 4:34:37 AM

ericburnbyAn article that doesn't even involve Apple yet some loser tries to bring them into the argument anyway. And even using the term "iCrapple" with the properly capitalized C. What are you, 12?

probably not 12 ... but Apple is still crap and should be mentioned in any article that has Samsung all over it
Score
November 22, 2012 4:37:23 AM

why does lg even have the patents when samsung is the ones who created it?
Score
November 22, 2012 4:39:27 AM

robochumpThen its truly sad. Apple is a great American company and they have a right to hate on Apple if they must. Personally I prefer to buy from American company than always from foreign companies since that was a trend during the 80s-90s. Glad to see USA firmly back in the consumer electronics industry!!!

How is it great American company when everything is made in China ? Samsung supplies displays for Apple. So please leave ur patriotism in a shed outside.
Score
November 22, 2012 4:48:36 AM

Really does everyone here complain and troll without reading the whole article?
its clearly mentioned that LG Display got most of its key technology by stealing data from Samsung or buying stolen secrets..
in this case Samsung is right to sue for lack of innovation...
Score
November 22, 2012 4:48:44 AM

Err..iPhone...RAM/CPU/GPU made by Samsung....Assemble at Foxconn in China....why are you so proud buying imitation US product???
Score
November 22, 2012 10:18:29 AM

Old_Fogie_Late_BloomerIf they could, you know, compete a little faster, that would be awesome. Maybe get this desktop monitor thing going?

Complete rubish, LG's screen designs are LCD-based while Samsung's expert of field (in display technology) is Amoled. Is Samsung jealous that LG got to make the nexus 4 instead of them?

Again 2 companies with way too much money in their pockets. They BOTH deserve to get fined as heavy as possible. Alone for waisting time of the judges and courts.
Score
November 22, 2012 10:22:36 AM

I am going right now to sue my ex girlfriend! SHe had no Innovation in bed for 3 years!
Arent we kinda blowing this sueing thing out of proportion? Lack of innovation... hell, how many things have that... how about car companies, or pencils... how about toilet paper or underwear... and even more scary, how CALL OF DUTY.
Score
November 22, 2012 3:27:08 PM

Apple doesn't manufacture anything in the USA.

Samsung does! And they are spending another couple billions to expand it!

PS: Read up on Double Irish Agreement too.
Score
November 23, 2012 5:56:13 PM

By this example alone, the ENTIRE industry should be sued because its NOT innovative AT ALL.
They are using outdated and inefficient materials along with methods of production to produce 60 to 100 years outdated technology (compared to where out scientific knowledge actually is).

The entire industry is creating a revision after revision of SAME technology once every 12 to 24 months... they are NOT producing the BEST of what is technologically possible with highest efficiency in mind using superior synthetic materials that can be made in abundance... because THAT would be 'cost prohibitive' (and lets not forget, it would relatively quickly KILL long term profits).
Lets also not forget planned obsolescence, etc. etc. etc.

Score
!