Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe or SE?

neoneucalyptus

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I have heard vague mentions of the Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe/SE across the net but I am looking for more info or anyone that has details about this board. From what I have seen it supports Conroe and uses the nVidia nForce5 590 SLI X16 chipset. I don't think it is available yet, and I don't know when it will be. There is a photo of the board I am talking about here. It's on the right.

I guess the SE version is just the same thing as deluxe but with nForce 5? And there are the SE and Deluxe versions and they are both different but only one is new and only one supports core 2 duo AND nforce 5.

aargh... this would be much less confusing if asus just stopped adding on "deluxe" and "se" and just gave different motherboards different model #s.

ANIA_fanboy

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I haven't heard of the SE but the Deluxe is available now for about 200 US.

New Egg has it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=P5N32-SLI+Deluxe&Submit=ENE&Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=

The best thing about it, in my opinion is the dual x16 slots for SLI.

If this works for Conroe, like I'm reading, then this is my board!

Keep in mind, however, that the new defacto Conroe standard is 800 for the memory. This board supports 667.

Will this be a bottleneck?

Will a bios flash change this :?

neoneucalyptus

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Theoretically, the 667 mhz ram would be a bottleneck, but realistically... prob. not so much as long as you keep your timings tight. I don't really know I haven't actually tried it. It probably would not OC as well as the P5WDH w/ 800Mhz but that is a CrossFire/Intel 975X board and is a newer model designed for Conroe, so it's hard to compare the two.

I'm just kind of waiting for Asus to redo the P5N32 to make it more solidly Conroe-ready (w/ nForce5!) as opposed to probably Conroe-capable like it is now

neoneucalyptus

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
That Anandtech article is part of what is making this confusing. It keeps mentioning that there is going to be a nForce5 board, but their specs list it as nForce4. The Anandtech photo is also slightly different than the one that I linked and the one for sale on newegg (which must be selling well b/c its already out of stock).

Most noticably, the Anandtech photo is the only one of the three that has SATA ports parallel to the memory slots while the other two have them oriented parallel to the expansion slots. Why?? Is that the older model or something? Is that how you can tell apart the nForce4 and nForce5? It opens up a range of questions, including whether or not I am making too much of this...

Yet the boards in all of the photos are ambiguously physically labeled "P5N32-SLI"... hence my confusion.

IdiotNewb

Distinguished
May 25, 2006