Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Opty144/Athlon64 3700/3800 0r 3800 x2. Similar $/ best BANG!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 20, 2006 12:08:14 AM

Looking at price list in Australia for the best CPU I can afford, currently the 4 CPU's ive mentioned all fit within my budget but which of them will do my money greater justice.

I do a moderate amount of gaming, general internet use, mp3 and music software plus other usual stuff. Also interested in HDTV somtime after.

I intend to do some minor overclocking but nothing intense.

the system when its built will consist of:
ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE MOBO
1GB OCZ PLATNIUM RAM or similar
7600 or 7900GT GPU
430w power supply

Any thoughts would be greatly apreiciated.

Regards, Ismism
July 20, 2006 12:19:06 AM

I do apoligise as i should of put a question mark rather than an exclamation point at the end of (BANG!)

The Athlon 64 3700 and 3800 a roughly the same price im intersted if the larger L2 cache on the 3700 will be better off for my needs.

The Opty144 and Athlon 64 3800 x 2 cost about the same but $80 more than the Athlon 64 3700/3800.

I plan to use Windows XP PRO SP2 as my OS. as i think PRO 64 doesnt seem to be all that compatible with my needs.

Regards, Ismism
July 20, 2006 1:06:43 AM

Well, for best single threaded speed ( games) the Opty will kick butt(OC). For the best overall experience the X2 3800+ is the way to go. You can easily turn up the HTT speed to 220MHz with the RETAIL heat sink from AMD.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 20, 2006 1:16:02 AM

I think dual core (3800 x2 in your case) is the way to go.....it will last further down the track!!!!

Since this is a completely new system..........does a Conroe based machine fall within your budget??......the E6300s - they should be close to the price of a 3800 x 2.

Being in Australia, will you be getting your parts from MSY??
July 20, 2006 1:26:09 AM

Quote:
Well, for best single threaded speed ( games) the Opty will kick butt(OC). For the best overall experience the X2 3800+ is the way to go. You can easily turn up the HTT speed to 220MHz with the RETAIL heat sink from AMD.


Ditto!
July 20, 2006 1:32:02 AM

Quote:
Looking at price list in Australia for the best CPU I can afford, currently the 4 CPU's ive mentioned all fit within my budget but which of them will do my money greater justice.

I do a moderate amount of gaming, general internet use, mp3 and music software plus other usual stuff. Also interested in HDTV somtime after.

I intend to do some minor overclocking but nothing intense.

the system when its built will consist of:
ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE MOBO
1GB OCZ PLATNIUM RAM or similar
7600 or 7900GT GPU
430w power supply

Any thoughts would be greatly apreiciated.

Regards, Ismism


You don't say what 430watt psu you have...you may or may not need a new one to run any X2 cpu and not have problems.

I have found that the Optrons run at a little lower voltage ( and cooler ) when you OC them and they also have the full 1 MB cashe.

The 144 is 1.8Ghz stock and will do 2.8 on stock volts...some will clock even higher (3+ Ghz) but then you need to start adding a bit of extra voltage.
July 20, 2006 1:32:35 AM

I see if that is the case then i think i'll go for the overall performance of the x2 3800+

the prices of CPU's lately seem do be dropping in value every time i check price listings does any1 know when the new intel chipset will be realesed in Australia and what likely savings might be had for the CPU's in question?

would it be worth waiting for?

Im not that demanding as far as uber eye candy and large res gamming is concerned but from what ive read (Oblivion) is a crippler and being a game title and genre im interested in played on a 19" lcd monitor with max res 1600x 1200 would i be better off saving up a little more and get some better performance from a better CPU or will the X2 3800+ be able to "cut the mustard" so to speak.

Im not all that interested in FPS type games if that makes any differnce.

Anymore valid opinions would be greatly valued.

Thanks, Ismism.
July 20, 2006 1:37:54 AM

I'd go with the opty; on another note I see you have the mobo with the SLI x16 chipset, there hasn't been any preformance boost by that, go with the SLI Delix (50USD cheaper)
July 20, 2006 1:46:44 AM

At least wait for July 24 when the 3800 X2 will drop to US$ 149. You should see similar cuts in OZ.
July 20, 2006 2:01:22 AM

I use shopbot.com as a refrence to my pricing.

I already have the MOBO which i got for a bargain on ebay 2months old and under waranty for a saving of $90 AU

The intel option would rearange my entire outlook and budget and the chip would cost $50 more than the x2 3800+

Bassicly the choice of the Athlon 64 single core seems to have been shelved and would i be right in saying that the extra $50 or so spent for the dual core or opty would be a sound investment.

I'll have a look a MSY.

building a first pc isnt easy when u have plans all laid out and then somthing new changes all that u reaserched in the first place. Im NOT a FANBOY of either company, Im just trying to get whats best for my overall needs with what i can afford.

My current sytem is a 6yr old PIII Win ME 128bit RAM Lappy which has served me well but is getting old and grumpy. If what i can build will maybe more than triple my current system performance i'll be more than wraped in my new system.

the system im building is entirely from scratch, case with stock PSU, keyboard mouse, Monitor and so on.
$2000 Was my max budget and with my current plan falling $200 less then my max.

Thanks for all the feedback so far,

Cheers, Ismism
July 20, 2006 2:43:13 AM

Quote:
I see if that is the case then i think i'll go for the overall performance of the x2 3800+

the prices of CPU's lately seem do be dropping in value every time i check price listings does any1 know when the new intel chipset will be realesed in Australia and what likely savings might be had for the CPU's in question?

would it be worth waiting for?

Im not that demanding as far as uber eye candy and large res gamming is concerned but from what ive read (Oblivion) is a crippler and being a game title and genre im interested in played on a 19" lcd monitor with max res 1600x 1200 would i be better off saving up a little more and get some better performance from a better CPU or will the X2 3800+ be able to "cut the mustard" so to speak.

Im not all that interested in FPS type games if that makes any differnce.

Anymore valid opinions would be greatly valued.

Thanks, Ismism.


It's hard to say what Intel's primary market for Core 2 will be. So many people will want it that it may take a few months to trickle down under. Once the price cuts happen next week, a 4200+ maybe possible.
July 20, 2006 4:45:28 AM

Well i checked and printed out a copy of the MSY.com price list and I dont think the prices are that great to be honest.

I can get far better value from ebay and stores listed on shopbot.com with delivery to my door included in total price.
(I am in no way afiliated with any company or website link)

Im sticking with my AMD plan and get a unit up and running which will serve me hopfully for a few good years.

any savings i make within my $2000 budget will go towards my GPU.

I really apreiciate everones input, big thanks.

:)  Ismism
July 20, 2006 4:50:44 AM

Quote:
Well, for best single threaded speed ( games) the Opty will kick butt(OC). For the best overall experience the X2 3800+ is the way to go. You can easily turn up the HTT speed to 220MHz with the RETAIL heat sink from AMD.
I second this.
July 20, 2006 7:31:50 AM

the Intel benchies do show what performance the new core 2 duo has and i am impressed.

but i just dont want to blow my bugdet i planned on $1500 and now im up to $2000. and for me personally every $100 i spend really hurts the hip pocket.

in a few years time when i upgrade at least i'll have the barebones to focus more on perfomance hardware. as of right now im just trying to build an allrounder and i dont want to make things difficult for myself.
this will be my first build and a learning experiance. When im more confident and waranties have warn off my hardware i'll take the overclocking aproach.

If the price drops do occur, as stated. I will hopfully get a good deal and when its all built and booted i will smile as a sense of self satisfaction overwhelms me knowing that i built it.
!