System burn-in?

OC_Nut

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I've recently had a rash of irritating failures on my latest project (Bad RAM, which turned out to be a bad motherboard which ate RAM, then processor instability at a low overclock rate).

I'm looking for a solid and complete burn-in procedure that's going to shake most of these problems out from the start. Is there a simple application (even a commercial application) to help with this? (Preferably something I can boot from a CD to rule out OS/HD problems?)

-Chris

BushLin

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
In case you've not tried it before there's a little tool called Prime95 which wasn't originally intended for the overclocking community (it's a mathematical apps) but has a fantastic torture test which will thrash your CPU/RAM/Chipset at 100% until the slightest error occurs at which point it'll stop, I class any machine which can run this test for 24hrs a very stable PC.

Grab it here
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Bycote

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
In case you're looking for something with a little more to offer than Prime95, there's the [/img]Ultimate Boot CD (which has Prime95, plus much more!)

I got it yesterday afternoon and have been thrashing my computer ever since, and it's now sitting there burning its brain in Prime95 as it has for the last fifteen hours! :^)

(I hope this isn't a late post, since it's only four days after the last.)