Mandatory Auto Update

I have the update site set as my IE homepage. I turned off Auto Update
because it was using a nice sized chunk of my phys. memory (and I can't
afford to increase it now). Things went fine until the last few days, now
when I launch IE, updates will not process until I set Auto Update to on. I
normally checked for updates 3 or 4 times daily.
Is this behaviour a new MS policy, and if so, why give the option to turn
the feature off. Or, is it a glitch/incorrect setting in my box?

Turn it on back, and schedule how you would like your updates downloaded and
installed. Trust me, its worth it.

Andre

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:59:02 -0700, hachoo_wilzer wrote:

> I have the update site set as my IE homepage. I turned off Auto Update
> because it was using a nice sized chunk of my phys. memory (and I can't
> afford to increase it now). Things went fine until the last few days, now
> when I launch IE, updates will not process until I set Auto Update to on. I
> normally checked for updates 3 or 4 times daily.
> Is this behaviour a new MS policy, and if so, why give the option to turn
> the feature off. Or, is it a glitch/incorrect setting in my box?

I run with AutoUpdates off and have no problem running manual checks at the
Update site. I do not try to setup the page so that launching it also
starts the scan for updates. Instead I click the desired link (Automatic or
Custom) to initiate the scan.

There is a newsgroup for Windows Update. Follow the troubleshooting links
and it will lead you to them.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Called 'microsoft.public.windowsupdate', funnily enough.