Sign in with
Your question

Upgrate suggestion Needed!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 20, 2006 1:48:03 AM

I want to upgrate my Geforce 4 MX(64MB) Video card in order to enjoy HDTVs.
But I am not a hardware expert , I really need some suggestions.
Here is my computer compoments:
P41.8ghz(Willamatte),kingmax256.Asus P4PE(only support AGP4x).
July 20, 2006 2:11:32 AM

get a gig of ram.

do it.
July 20, 2006 2:13:43 AM

Quote:
I want to upgrate my Geforce 4 MX(64MB) Video card in order to enjoy HDTVs.
But I am not a hardware expert , I really need some suggestions.
Here is my computer compoments:
P41.8ghz(Willamatte),kingmax256.Asus P4PE(only support AGP4x).

well, if you want to replace both your video card, AND get an HDTV Tuner, I'm not quite certain. To my knowledge, only one video card line actually incorporates full-fledged TV tuner capabilities... The ATi "All-In-Wonder." However, I don't know if it's an HDTV tuner, or just a standard-def DTV tuner.

The best AGP AIWs that I know of wold be the X800XT, though that's a little pricy, at just under $300US. For a cheaper solution, there's the "All-In-Wonder 2006" which has an X1300, a weak card, but somewhat sufficient for some gaming.

Or, do you mean you simply want a card that can output to an HDTV? that's a much easier issue; the VIVO port found on most high-end and mid-range video cards can support an adapter out to component, and some HDTVs support DVI-I jacks as well. What card you'd want would depend on what uses for 3D rendering you have; even cheap cards, with the right ports, would support that form of output.
Related resources
July 21, 2006 1:58:33 PM

Thanks Nottheking.
Maybe i don't say my requests quite clearly.I want to upgrate my computer in order to enjoy HDTV ,because the current compoments can't play HDTV(720p or 1080i) although with a cpu usage of 100%.
And i'm really don't know whether the AGP4x(or CUP) can supply enough bandwidth for current video cards(like x800 as you have mentioned)
hope for your reply.
July 21, 2006 2:33:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks Nottheking.
Maybe i don't say my requests quite clearly.I want to upgrate my computer in order to enjoy HDTV ,because the current compoments can't play HDTV(720p or 1080i) although with a cpu usage of 100%.
And i'm really don't know whether the AGP4x(or CUP) can supply enough bandwidth for current video cards(like x800 as you have mentioned)
hope for your reply.

id ditch the lot. pick up a cheap 939 or AM2 and get a cheap grapics card. (a 6--- or a 7---- will do and get a DVico FusionHDTV tuner. www.dico.com about £130.
the tuner has 2 seperate tuners biult on one board. so you can watch one channel whilst recording the other one. and it recived HDTV signals which will suit ur HDTV. (magic isnt it...)

also if ur recording TV a 250 gig HD with 1gig of ram is recomended.

by just bying a new card your not going to make your life easier. the new card will swallow ram whilst recording at the very least. and HDTV graphics cards are mostly PCIexpess anyhow. the system is kinda past it. good time to buy cheap kit.
July 21, 2006 3:22:07 PM

Quote:
I want to upgrate...
July 21, 2006 5:54:57 PM

your forgetting that the new ram.

i belive it runs faster...
July 21, 2006 6:01:21 PM

Did someone say lamb?

July 21, 2006 6:09:03 PM

I believe what OP really needs is a video card with DXVA support, because most HDTV cards/software require that to work at a decent speed.

OP, If you are not playing games, just get a Geforce 6200 w/256mb Ram. They are cheap as chips and fine if you don't need gaming. You don't need 16000pipes and 1200 vertexshaders for HDTV.

Plus, do yourself a favour and get some more ram, for pete's sake! 8O
!