GC promotion

Hello,

I had a DC fail and I'm promoting anther DC to become a GC. My issues is
that i have subdomain that it can't contact (we dont have direct VPN because
there is no need) and it wont finalize the GC promotion. Is thier any way
around this. Its causing me to reboot my exchange server because the users
can't contact a local GC server?

You need to setup the VPN link, or find some other way to get reliable
connectivity between the parent domain and the child. They should have that
on a regular basis anyways as a best practice, otherwise you'll see
replication errors for the configuration and schema containers and have out
of date data on the GC's.

Mike Shepperd

"" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had a DC fail and I'm promoting anther DC to become a GC. My
> issues is
> that i have subdomain that it can't contact (we dont have
> direct VPN because
> there is no need) and it wont finalize the GC promotion. Is
> thier any way
> around this. Its causing me to reboot my exchange server
> because the users
> can't contact a local GC server?

To me this is a strange situation..
You have a DC of a subdomain in a branch office and you have a DC of a
parent domain that has been configured as a GC and NEEDS to replicate
info from the subdomain. Remember that DCs in different domains still
need to replicate the schema and configuration partition with each
other.

So my question is why you say there is no need for a connection
between the parent domain and the subdomain?

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-GC-promotion-ftopict553617.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1757403