Use the Additional DC when PDC is down

Hi,

I hav setup the Primary DC. Also i make the additional DC also.

I make the Aditinonal DC as Global Catelog Sever.

In PDC DHCP scoe i put the Addition DC IP as DNS sever.

My Additionl DC Primary DNS has set up to the PDC.

Now if my PDC down and does my users can login the domain using my
Additional DC. But i can see there are no Profle or Home Folder in my
Additional DC what i can see in PDC.

do i have copy those manually to the Additional DC. Also when i look a
the Additional DC Active Directory Users and Computres i can see the
all the objects what i can see in the PDC. But i can not the user
profile path and home folder paths. So how can my uses get there
profiles etc?

Please help me?

Rgds

--
niloshimaPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
10 answers Last reply

    It sounds like you are storing user data (Profiles and home folders on one
    of your dc's) if this server is unavailable then there is no way users can
    gain access to the data. If you copy the data over to the other dc the
    users pointers for the data would still point to the other dc. Also the
    data wouldn't be kept up to date unless you started replicating it, this
    would add more complexity. When data resides on a machine it is assumed the
    machine will be available. The best thing would probably build your
    machines so they have a higher reliability.

    "niloshima" <niloshima.1rqwtc@> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I hav setup the Primary DC. Also i make the additional DC also.
    >
    > I make the Aditinonal DC as Global Catelog Sever.
    >
    > In PDC DHCP scoe i put the Addition DC IP as DNS sever.
    >
    > My Additionl DC Primary DNS has set up to the PDC.
    >
    > Now if my PDC down and does my users can login the domain using my
    > Additional DC. But i can see there are no Profle or Home Folder in my
    > Additional DC what i can see in PDC.
    >
    > do i have copy those manually to the Additional DC. Also when i look a
    > the Additional DC Active Directory Users and Computres i can see the
    > all the objects what i can see in the PDC. But i can not the user
    > profile path and home folder paths. So how can my uses get there
    > profiles etc?
    >
    > Please help me?
    >
    > Rgds
    >

    > --
    > niloshimaPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    hi,

    I do not want to keep another server to keep the profiles and home
    folder data.

    What i want to basically do is if PDC got down form other DC it need to
    load the profiles and need to connected to the home folders etc.

    Can not we automate this replicatre thing beetween servers.

    Atlest is tehre any way when we setting users in PDC, to set if PDC
    down look at the profile home etc form other DC in the network.

    i mean the user properties profile tab?

    Even then it is ok to manually copy the the data to other DC.

    rgds
    Prasad

    --
    niloshimaPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    Well you can write a script to evaluate which server you have authenticated
    to (%logonserver%) map a drive from that knowledge and point profile and
    home folder to it. You can use a to tool such as dfs to replicate it.

    This is a very bad idea and think you would be getting in over your head.
    I'm not going to start to explain it all

    If the use need is high availability you should be saving it on a separate
    server (Clustered).

    "niloshima" <niloshima.1rr3rb@> wrote in message

    > hi,
    >
    > I do not want to keep another server to keep the profiles and home
    > folder data.
    >
    > What i want to basically do is if PDC got down form other DC it need to
    > load the profiles and need to connected to the home folders etc.
    >
    > Can not we automate this replicatre thing beetween servers.
    >
    > Atlest is tehre any way when we setting users in PDC, to set if PDC
    > down look at the profile home etc form other DC in the network.
    >
    > i mean the user properties profile tab?
    >
    > Even then it is ok to manually copy the the data to other DC.
    >
    > rgds
    > Prasad
    >

    > --
    > niloshimaPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    Hi

    First of all when posting could you check your spelling and if the
    sentence makes sense as it is hard to comprehend what you are saying

    Apologies if English is not your language

    In essence you are asking the same question as in my post - "roaming
    profile redundancy"

    I also have 2 dcs in my home lan with a profile share on one and want
    that available should the dc go down, the second cd works to
    authenticate but obviously cant access the share in the profile
    attribute of the users object

    It appears that this is possible with DFS ,I also wondered if we can
    move the profile folder to the sysvol so it replicates to both dcs but
    I am sure there are a million reasons why this is a bad idea, so it
    looks like DFS is the only solution .

    Other than setting up a dedicated file server which as this is a home
    lan i dont have a spare machine to do

    if you find out any simple way let me know otherwise i am gonna have to
    bite to the bullet and set up dfs it just looks a bit daunting

    pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    I have known users who have used the sysvol as a replication point, but as
    you mentioned I wouldn't recommend it and that is the reason I didn't in my

    "pscyime" <pscyime.1rrgeb@> wrote in message

    > Hi
    >
    > First of all when posting could you check your spelling and if the
    > sentence makes sense as it is hard to comprehend what you are saying
    >
    > Apologies if English is not your language
    >
    > In essence you are asking the same question as in my post - "roaming
    > profile redundancy"
    >
    > I also have 2 dcs in my home lan with a profile share on one and want
    > that available should the dc go down, the second cd works to
    > authenticate but obviously cant access the share in the profile
    > attribute of the users object
    >
    > It appears that this is possible with DFS ,I also wondered if we can
    > move the profile folder to the sysvol so it replicates to both dcs but
    > I am sure there are a million reasons why this is a bad idea, so it
    > looks like DFS is the only solution .
    >
    > Other than setting up a dedicated file server which as this is a home
    > lan i dont have a spare machine to do
    >
    > if you find out any simple way let me know otherwise i am gonna have to
    > bite to the bullet and set up dfs it just looks a bit daunting

    > pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    Please can any one let me know how to write small login script I can
    decide which DC to connect load the user profile and map the home
    folder. I mean in the login script can set use DC1 OR DC2 to connect to
    load the user profile or map the home folder, when one DC is down?

    Rgds
    Niloshima

    --
    niloshimaPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    You can Google on it or start by looking at Microsoft's script center.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/default.mspx

    "niloshima" <niloshima.1rzoyz@> wrote in message

    > Please can any one let me know how to write small login script I can
    > decide which DC to connect load the user profile and map the home
    > folder. I mean in the login script can set use DC1 OR DC2 to connect to
    > load the user profile or map the home folder, when one DC is down?
    >
    > Rgds
    > Niloshima
    >

    > --
    > niloshimaPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    hi Paul Bergson ,

    I was searcing web for sctipt like that. I did not get that still.

    Please help me

    Rdgs
    Niloshima

    --
    niloshimaPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    "niloshima" <niloshima.1s5mtb@> wrote in message

    > hi Paul Bergson ,
    >
    > I was searcing web for sctipt like that. I did not get that still.
    >
    > Please help me
    >
    > Rdgs
    > Niloshima
    >

    > --
    > niloshimaPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    http://www.rlmueller.net/freecode2.htm

    "niloshima" <niloshima.1s5mtb@> wrote in message

    > hi Paul Bergson ,
    >
    > I was searcing web for sctipt like that. I did not get that still.
    >
    > Please help me
    >
    > Rdgs
    > Niloshima
    >

    > --