Migrating DHCP from Unix to AD

The title says most of it...

We use fixed allocations based on Mac addresses. The Unix
DHCP server uses a nice simple text file, with entries like
this:

>host balblair {
> hardware ethernet 00:a0:c9:b5:a0:41;
> fixed-address 172.16.64.12;
>}

I want to transfer all of these to reservations on the AD DHCP
server, but I don't want to type them all in. Is there a way to
do this?

(also, why does Windows use "-" for separating bytes of a Mac
address, whereas everyone else uses ":")?

jim
--
Jim Hatfield

"" wrote:
> The title says most of it...
>
> We use fixed allocations based on Mac addresses. The Unix
> DHCP server uses a nice simple text file, with entries like
> this:
>
> >host balblair {
> > hardware ethernet 00:a0:c9:b5:a0:41;
> > fixed-address 172.16.64.12;
> >}
>
> I want to transfer all of these to reservations on the AD DHCP
> server, but I don't want to type them all in. Is there a way
> do this?
>
> (also, why does Windows use "-" for separating bytes of a Mac
> address, whereas everyone else uses ":")?
>
> jim
> --
> Jim Hatfield

"do some magic with the text file" and try using NETSH DHCP commands

See:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/09e89260-0759-4d6a-8fca-cf98b34cb1cd.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/netsh_dhcp.mspx

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Migrating-DHCP-Unix-AD-ftopict553828.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1757864

On 6 Jul 2005 20:38:43 -0400, Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto
<UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

>"do some magic with the text file" and try using NETSH DHCP commands
>
>See:
>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/09e89260-0759-4d6a-8fca-cf98b34cb1cd.mspx
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/netsh_dhcp.mspx

Thanks. The documentation for netsh is a bit opaque, to say the least,
but that was enough to get the job done.

Jim
--
Jim Hatfield