How to change domain name?

Hi - We've aquired another company and I've been asked if the following is
possible/feasible. Our current 2k AD domain name is very long with an example
of joesfruitemporium.com with the old NT domain as 'apples'. When most people
login they use the old NTdomain of apples\username to authenticate.
Management wants to change 'apples' to 'oranges' so people will authenticate
as oranges\username. The 2k Active Directory domain name of
joesfruitemporium.com part is fine and doesn't need to be changed, just the
old NT domain from 'apples' to 'oranges'. Thanks in advance. -Glen
5 answers Last reply
More about change domain name

    Only if you can go up to Windows Server 2003 Forest Functional Mode.
    Otherwise you'd need to create a new domain with the name you want
    (different than the existing in both NETBIOS name and DNS name) and migrate
    to it with something like ADMT (Active Directory Migration Tool).

    Mike Shepperd
    MCSE NT4, 2000, 2003
    NewFuture Consulting
    Seattle, Washington

    "Glen" <Glen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi - We've aquired another company and I've been asked if the following is
    > possible/feasible. Our current 2k AD domain name is very long with an
    > example
    > of joesfruitemporium.com with the old NT domain as 'apples'. When most
    > people
    > login they use the old NTdomain of apples\username to authenticate.
    > Management wants to change 'apples' to 'oranges' so people will
    > authenticate
    > as oranges\username. The 2k Active Directory domain name of
    > joesfruitemporium.com part is fine and doesn't need to be changed, just
    > the
    > old NT domain from 'apples' to 'oranges'. Thanks in advance. -Glen

    It is not that easy to change the domain name in NT4.0. You can perform a
    parallel migration and migrate all the users and resources from the NT
    Domain to W2K or W2K3 domain.

    HTH

    --
    Santhosh Sivarajan
    MCSE(W2K3/W2K/NT4),MCSA(W2K3/W2K/MSG),CCNA,Network+

    "Glen" <Glen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi - We've aquired another company and I've been asked if the following is
    > possible/feasible. Our current 2k AD domain name is very long with an
    > example
    > of joesfruitemporium.com with the old NT domain as 'apples'. When most
    > people
    > login they use the old NTdomain of apples\username to authenticate.
    > Management wants to change 'apples' to 'oranges' so people will
    > authenticate
    > as oranges\username. The 2k Active Directory domain name of
    > joesfruitemporium.com part is fine and doesn't need to be changed, just
    > the
    > old NT domain from 'apples' to 'oranges'. Thanks in advance. -Glen

    Hi- These are not 2 different domains, 'apples' is just the pre-2k (NT)
    domain name for joesfruitemporium.com. We had a NT domain and upgraded it to
    2K. Now we want to change the old NT domain name of 'apples' to 'oranges'.
    Does that make a difference or would we still need to do a paralell
    migration? Thanks!

    "" wrote:
    > Hi- These are not 2 different domains, 'apples' is just the
    > pre-2k (NT)
    > domain name for joesfruitemporium.com. We had a NT domain and
    > upgraded it to
    > 2K. Now we want to change the old NT domain name of 'apples'
    > to 'oranges'.
    > Does that make a difference or would we still need to do a
    > paralell
    > migration? Thanks!
    >
    > "Santhosh Sivarajan" wrote:
    >
    > > It is not that easy to change the domain name in NT4.0. You
    > can perform a
    > > parallel migration and migrate all the users and resources
    > from the NT
    > > Domain to W2K or W2K3 domain.
    > >

    > > HTH
    > >
    > > --
    > > Santhosh Sivarajan
    > > MCSE(W2K3/W2K/NT4),MCSA(W2K3/W2K/MSG),CCNA,Network+
    > > Houston, TX
    > >

    > > "Glen" <Glen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi - We've aquired another company and I've been asked if
    > the following is
    > > > possible/feasible. Our current 2k AD domain name is very
    > long with an
    > > > example
    > > > of joesfruitemporium.com with the old NT domain as 'apples'. When most
    > > > people
    > > > login they use the old NTdomain of applesusername to
    > authenticate.
    > > > Management wants to change 'apples' to 'oranges' so people
    > will
    > > > authenticate
    > > > as orangesusername. The 2k Active Directory domain name
    > of
    > > > joesfruitemporium.com part is fine and doesn't need to be changed, just
    > > > the
    > > > old NT domain from 'apples' to 'oranges'. Thanks in
    > advance. -Glen

    So you have a W2K AD domain/forest with:
    DNS name: someverylongdomainname.com
    Netbios name (pre-w2k): short

    you want to change the netbios name..

    solution: as it is... not possible!

    as said before to rename a domain you must have w2k3 ad with forest
    functional level of w2k3 AND even then you should think twice before
    doing it. It impacts your whole AD forest!

    I wonder why your netbios name differs from the dns name?

    Cheers,

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-change-domain-ftopict553846.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1758228

    Hi Jorge, Thanks to all for the replies. The netbios name was there before my
    time. The reason they don't match is there have been a lot of acquisitions
    and there is now a parent company that is the 2k domain name. They basically
    want to change the netbios name from a previous company name to the parent
    company name... Thanks!

Domain Name Active Directory Windows