RPC error running DCPromo

Hi,

I’m trying to install a new DC in a remote site connected by a 64kpbs
line. Ping tests are OK but when I run DCPromo on the server in the
remote site, it reports "RPC Server is not available" and aborts the
dcpromo.

The RPC services are running on the DC at the head office site and
I’ve checked the ports. Wonder what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help.

CY

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-RPC-error-running-DCPromo-ftopict553754.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1757511

"goingincircles" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install a new DC in a remote site connected by a
> 64kpbs line. Ping tests are OK but when I run DCPromo on the
> server in the remote site, it reports "RPC Server is not
> available" and aborts the dcpromo.
>
> The RPC services are running on the DC at the head office site
> and I've checked the ports. Wonder what could be wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.
>
> CY

even if you get the DCPROMO process running, the time it needs to
complete the promotion depends on the amount of AD data that needs to
be replicated.

if you use Windows 2003 DCs it is best to use the "install from
media" feature.
If using windows 2000 DCs ship a the new computer to the hub location,
promote it to DC and assign it to its new site and ship it back to the
branch office

Concerining the RPC errors...mostly this has to do with DNS not being
available or the new server has no DNS servers configured

Cheers,

Could be name resolution...

Could be network issues...

I'd get a network trace with Ethereal or Network Monitor from both sides and
look at the conversation to see where it breaks down.

Mike Shepperd
MCSE NT4, 2000, 2003
NewFuture Consulting
Seattle, Washington