PSU advice needed for new C2D system

grimmysnr

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
As stated im building a new PC and stealing some parts out of my old one. The one i use for my gaming pleasure is in my signature. I went to the wattage calculator on the Extreme outervision website and entered all the devices i plan to use with the recommended surge compensation and capasitor aging. I also left it at 100% peak utilization. Naturally i realize that in most cases it takes alot to reach peak but as stated more is better. With everything entered i resulted in approximately 600w and that was actually slimming down on some things that is currently in my system now.

I like antec but cant see to find anything more than 550w. However, Im not set on any particular brand iv just had really good luck with them. Im looking at building...

core 2 duo x6800 (yeah prolly OC it)
nforce 590 sli (when released)
2x7900 gtx SLi
2GB DDR2 will work my way to 4GB over time.
7x 80mm case fans
2 74g raptors raid-0
sb audigy 2
2 cd roms
and room for little extras like a couple usb devices, front bay from my sound card, and a possible upgrade to water cooling.

If i were to add everything that i use now it puts me about 850w according to that calculator.

So do i really need that much? Such as a 1000w PSU? Any recommendations on some PSU's?

What are most of you going to be putting in your system if you are in the similar situation? What do you run now?

Price is really not an option at the moment since i would like to explore options. But this new system is going to be quite an investment already and stopping short at the power supply would be foolish.

Thank you for your time.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
What about a Seasonic S12 600W Silent ATX2.0? I've read so many good reviews about them, especialy about stability and quiet running. I'm assuming ATX2.0 is compatable with Core 2 Duo motherboards though? Nothing so far suggests otherwise.

Otherwise the OCZ GameXStream 700W like Pengwin said, you will have power to spare, I can't see you needing 850W.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I really doubt that you are going to need that much power but....

You can see my system in my sig plus I have 8 case fans, 3 drives (ones a 150gb raptor), one optical drive and a 12v pump (this pulls 24w) plus 3 cold cathode lights and I have a 750w psu.

My silverstone should be able to handle anything you throw at it, OCZ has a similar model as well.

If you are planning to water cool in the future then I would suggest 700w or more as my system took my 600w Enermax to it's knees.

Remember that if you OC your power requirements jump up so keep that in mind.

I also think that when you get this high in power requirements that modular psu's should not be considered, you are just creating one more resistance (and possible breakage) point where the wires connect to the psu. Considering how much these higher end psu's cost, you should take the safe route. Besides with your system you will use almost all the power connections anyway.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I'd have to agree with Waylander.

The SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V 750W is an excellent PSU that has a quad 12v rail at 18amps per for excellent stability. For the equiptment you are planning on adding I wouldn't go much lower than 18 amps per rail (especially if you decide to OC the videocards). It's incredibly stable and exceeds your power demands. I have quite a large energy demand on my system (631 watts as per the PSU cal) and the Silverstone handles it with ease. Plus, it gives me some breathing room for future upgrading.