Offline Domain Controller

I want to keep a spare domain controller off the network as a last-resort
backup. I install the domain contoller from restored files but i don't know
the network credentials because the DC is off the network.

Thanks

You can't keep a dc offline and expect to use it in the event of a disaster
scenario. The dc receives information related to activities on going in
your domain 24 hours a day. Removing this and then expecting to plug and go
won't work.

"" wrote:
> I want to keep a spare domain controller off the network as a
> last-resort
> backup. I install the domain contoller from restored files but
> i don't know
> the network credentials because the DC is off the network.
>
> Thanks

I partially understand what you want...
Is it true you want a solution for if your forest dies? and you want
to be able be back in business as soon as possible?

before implementing a solution you at least need to know:
* what services should be available as first, as second etc.
* How fast should these services return to a ’workable state" (some
functionality might be missing or only 50% or 75% of the users can
work) and how fast must it return to 100%

I don’t understand what you mean with "I install the domain contoller
from restored files but i don’t know the network credentials because
the DC is off the network"

Can you explain more?

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Offline-Domain-Controller-ftopict554117.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1759102

> I partially understand what you want...
> Is it true you want a solution for if your forest dies? and you want
> to be able be back in business as soon as possible?
>
> before implementing a solution you at least need to know:
> * what services should be available as first, as second etc.
> * How fast should these services return to a ’workable state" (some
> functionality might be missing or only 50% or 75% of the users can
> work) and how fast must it return to 100%
>
> I don’t understand what you mean with "I install the domain contoller
> from restored files but i don’t know the network credentials because
> the DC is off the network"
>
> Can you explain more?
>
> Cheers,

Well, I want to install the DC off the network and there isn't comunication
with others DC's. In the promotion of the DC you must indicate the
credentials to install active directory but there isn't comunication with
others DC's and i recived an error. Is there any way to do it?

When a machine isn't connected to the domain it can't get updates. Machine
password changes, user password changes, group membership changes, new
users, new groups, etc... After 90 days the changes get dropped so you have
the potential to slowly corrupt your wan.

You must be connected to your lan and replicate before the dc will be
promoted properly.

>> I partially understand what you want...
>> Is it true you want a solution for if your forest dies? and you want
>> to be able be back in business as soon as possible?
>>
>> before implementing a solution you at least need to know:
>> * what services should be available as first, as second etc.
>> * How fast should these services return to a 'workable state" (some
>> functionality might be missing or only 50% or 75% of the users can
>> work) and how fast must it return to 100%
>>
>> I don't understand what you mean with "I install the domain contoller
>> from restored files but i don't know the network credentials because
>> the DC is off the network"
>>
>> Can you explain more?
>>
>> Cheers,
>
> Well, I want to install the DC off the network and there isn't
> comunication
> with others DC's. In the promotion of the DC you must indicate the
> credentials to install active directory but there isn't comunication with
> others DC's and i recived an error. Is there any way to do it?

Tombstone lifetime is 60 days. My mistake.

"" wrote:
> > I partially understand what you want...
> > Is it true you want a solution for if your forest dies? and
> you want
> > to be able be back in business as soon as possible?
> >
> > before implementing a solution you at least need to know:
> > * what services should be available as first, as second etc.
> > * How fast should these services return to a ’workable
> state" (some
> > functionality might be missing or only 50% or 75% of the
> users can
> > work) and how fast must it return to 100%
> >
> > I don’t understand what you mean with "I install the
> domain contoller
> > from restored files but i don’t know the network
> credentials because
> > the DC is off the network"
> >
> > Can you explain more?
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> Well, I want to install the DC off the network and there isn't
> comunication
> with others DC's. In the promotion of the DC you must indicate
> the
> credentials to install active directory but there isn't
> comunication with
> others DC's and i recived an error. Is there any way to do it?

There is not way you can install an ADDITIONAL DC or a DC for a new
domain in a EXISTING forest while the DC is not connected to the
network. You need network connection.

This only possible when installing a DC for a complete new AD forest
as it is the first DC in the forest to be alive

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1761135