Last response: in Systems
July 20, 2006 4:12:19 AM

ABIT NF8 Series Mobo
AMD 64 3700+ (sk754)
2 gigs pc3200 (1gigx2)
bfg 6800gt oc (agp)
sb audigy gamer
xp home sp2 with all patches

recently, i've been getting random freezes with no errors in any of the log reports. I had IE7 Beta 3 installed, removed that, no freezing yet, but that was only an hour ago. I ran WD Diag tools on both of my hard drives, found no errors, ran scan disk on all partitions, no errors. Im gonna run memtest in a bit here, but since that'll take awhile, ill let a few cycles run over night. Any other ideas?

More about : random freezing

July 20, 2006 4:26:15 AM

What is your PSU? Could be dying on you right now! :twisted:

Actually, it isn't the HDD because you've run the tests and it isn't clicking.

What kind of RAM is it exactly? How long have you had it?

Did it crash while you were running IE 7 Beta? Or did you have crashes while you were not running IE 7 Beta?
July 20, 2006 4:30:11 AM

And are there any particular aplications that it tends to crash more on then others?
Related resources
July 20, 2006 4:32:53 AM

SuperTalent 1gig sticks, and haven't had them long. My PSU is an AGI DualRail 400W, have had it longer, but not really too long. The freezes are strange because, i can hit Ctrl Alt Delete and it will come up after a minute, and if i single click the power button to get Shutdown.. the hourglass loads and you can see a process or 2 dissappear from the Processes list. As far as IE7 running, i did have it running a few of the times it happened, but now that i think about it, im not sure if it was every time... It has happened about 4-5 times now.
July 20, 2006 6:32:43 AM

man your pus is too small for your config tht's hy it's feezin without errors
July 20, 2006 7:03:20 AM

Quote:
ABIT NF8 Series Mobo
AMD 64 3700+ (sk754)
2 gigs pc3200 (1gigx2)
bfg 6800gt oc (agp)
sb audigy gamer
xp home sp2 with all patches

recently, i've been getting random freezes with no errors in any of the log reports. I had IE7 Beta 3 installed, removed that, no freezing yet, but that was only an hour ago. I ran WD Diag tools on both of my hard drives, found no errors, ran scan disk on all partitions, no errors. Im gonna run memtest in a bit here, but since that'll take awhile, ill let a few cycles run over night. Any other ideas?

Has your 6800GT ever gave you problems, specifically running hot? I had a 6800Gt that ran hot from the day I installed it. Seven months later my system started locking up, random crashes. It was the card failing. Put in a new video card and the system ran fine, no crashes.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 20, 2006 12:25:41 PM

Quote:
leave the task manager up with the proc performance screen showing when it freezes. if the proc goes to 100% or close to it then it is guaranteed to be an interupt problem

erm wtf

do a reinstall and then see how things are from there
July 20, 2006 6:16:44 PM

havent had a problem since i uninstalled IE7 Beta 3 yet.. that was almost 24hrs ago.. im gonna run memtest now. and with my 6800gt, i haven't had any heating issues whatsoever... I'll post my update after memtest.
July 20, 2006 6:34:34 PM

It sounds like rogue processes/interrupts to me.

Ie - system cruft, mal-ware, or possibly blown driect-X/sound/video drivers. Basically the system grinds to a halt because something's causing a massive pileup/conflict somewhere.

Unfortunately, only a full OS reinstall will fix it if it's a seriously namgled system, though I've used System Mechanic with good results, after running antivirus and anti-mal-ware programs, of course.

The classic signs are the computer slowing or stalling down to P1 speeds for more than five seconds or so. Thankfully, Windows will show you every process that's running. The last time I had this happen, it was GoogleTalk. It had installed some rogue virtual drive on my system and it just ground to a halt for several seconds at a time. Thankfully, UN-installing the app made it go away.
July 21, 2006 3:11:27 AM

I reinstalled a fresh copy of windows, no problems all day. Any way of making sure that doesn't happen again?
July 21, 2006 6:18:18 AM

Other than a good firewall and anti-mal-ware, nope. Such is Windows - it generates cruft over time, and every 6-12 months needs a complete reinstall. Unless you run it in a virtual stock condition, that is.

System Mechanic is a good program to buy, though. It really does clean up the junk in the OS pretty well.

P.S. Don't EVER run file-sharing programs of any kind, with the exception of bittorrent. They all contain mal-ware and will cripple your OS in short order.
July 21, 2006 9:41:15 AM

get your self a copy of norton ghost,,then ,,when stuff goes south ,just ghost the sucker,probs all gonnee,life saver...:) 
!