Adding Case Fans to Regular Cases

IAM27

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Is it possible to add case fans to a case that isn't pre-made for them? What if I just cut out holes with my dremel tool?

IAM27

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
No, I mean right now the side of my computer is just a solid piece of aluminum. I want to chop through it with a dremel and stick a fan in the hole. Will this work? Or are they supposed to be mounted only to certain spots? If so and I have a standard aluminum case with no fan hole, the only fan is on the GPU and PSU, how could I add more fans?

I know nothing about cooling, so any help would be appreciated.

edit. I do have enough intelligence to know that if I do try this I should remove the MB to prevent filings from getting on it. I already dremeled an add-on PCI slot into the back of case to fit the fan for a x1900xtx.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
No, I mean right now the side of my computer is just a solid piece of aluminum. I want to chop through it with a dremel and stick a fan in the hole. Will this work? Or are they supposed to be mounted only to certain spots? If so and I have a standard aluminum case with no fan hole, the only fan is on the GPU and PSU, how could I add more fans?

I know nothing about cooling, so any help would be appreciated.

edit. I do have enough intelligence to know that if I do try this I should remove the MB to prevent filings from getting on it. I already dremeled an add-on PCI slot into the back of case to fit the fan for a x1900xtx.
Yes this can be done. If you drill a hole, make sure it's the size of the inside diameter of the fan, and also drill 2 or 4 holes that line up with the fan screw holes. Either remove the MB, or fully cover any exposed components with a cloth/blanket or fashion a cover out of cardboard. So, if you are putting the hole on the case side cover, trace the outline of the fan to be used with a pencil..including screw holes. When you go to cut out the holes, put masking tape around the hole so as not to scratch the paint. Wear safety glasses,i'm sure you realize that Dremels spin very fast. GL :)

nategarst

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
If you plan on using an 80 mm fan. A 3 inch hole saw will work great. Make sure you remove components or the side panel altogether though.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
You can use a CD as a template for a 120mm hole. Cover the section of the case you'll be cutting with masking tape, position the CD where you want to cut the fan hole, and trace around it with a pencil.

Next, cut the hole using a dremel or holesaw, or a hacksaw will work too.

It won't be perfect, but you're going to file the sides anyway to keep it from cutting into unimportant things like skin. Test fit the fan, and if it doesn't fit, file the edges until it does. The CD template will get you pretty close.

120mm fans have the best db/cfm ratio of the most common fan sizes, so use those wherever you can. Not only will they blow more air over a larger area, but they'll make less noise, too.

Get a wire fan grill to protect yourself and others from the fan blades.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
All good advise so far... but I don't like the look of the steel wire covers and decided on the mesh below.

http://www.frozencpu.com/ffa-19.html

It will also cover up any imperfections in the "roundness" of your hole.

I would suggest that you put the hole right over your cpu cooler, most cpu hsf's pull air down into the heat sink then out over the motherboard, this way you are supplying cool outside air directly to the cpu hsf.

You might also consider a top blow hole, usually go with a 92mm fan here to fit, it can remove any hot air that rises then has no where to go.

dimwhited

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
you should look up how ATX cases are ment to cool. for example, if your case is rear exhaust, then there would be no point putting an intake fan right next to the psu.... just be sure your educated before you start to drill

IAM27

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I have a BTX case. The one that came with my Dell E510. Not much remains of the origonal machine anymore though. Just the MOBO and CPU. It has intake holes in the front of the case, and an exhaust fan on the PSU. It also has a grill pattern on the back of the case for extra ventilation.

Would it be a good idea to install a fan on that grill panel to suck more air through the machine? Or would some on the side be better? Or both?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
My set up is like this...

2 x 120mm fans at the front as intake

1 x 120mm fan on the side as intake (over my ram)

1 x 120mm fan at the back beside the cpu as exhaust

1 x 92mm fan at the top behind my hdd cage as exhaust

1 x 92mm fan at the very top of the case as exhaust

Add whatever fan will fit in the grill pattern at the back of the case, if you only have one fan on a case it should be an exhaust not an intake.

The point to adding an intake fan on top of the cpu is to provide cool air that hasn't been warmed up passing the hard drives at the front directly to the cpu.

IAM27

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Thanks for the help. That helps alot. The only thing different is that my CPU is right next to my front intake, so it always gets fresh air... I guess thats good. I'll put some fans in the front intake so that it breezes faster in there and add two more on the back panel, along with one intake on the side.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
If you are getting fresh air to the cpu then don't worry about the side intake, it might just disrupt air flow...

The only reason I added a side fan was because by taking out the cpu fan (water cooled) I had no way to cool the rest of the motherboard.

Really consider that top exhaust though.

IAM27

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Ok. So just add two (intake)fans to the front and two(exhaust) the back and 1 on top... and it should be a wind tunnel :p

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Is it possible to add case fans to a case that isn't pre-made for them? What if I just cut out holes with my dremel tool?

Cut away the rear fan guard on the case....this will give most cases up to an extra 70% exit air flow.

If the bottom of the case is not setting directly on the floor make vent holes in it and/or vent the unused front CD bay covers.

IAM27

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Well after taking a closer look I decided a top vent won't do me much good. I have nearly no airflow up there, and its nearly all blocked off by the extra wires from my PSU... so I'm just going to add the extra one to the front and two on the back.

Heres a drawing I did so you can see what I'm planning to do.

The only thing I'm not sure about is if I should add an intake over the GFX card on the side of the case, since its a x1900xtx and they get pretty hot.
Because all the air it gets has already passed over the CPU's heatsink and eveyrthing. (Right now I'm not OCing it, because I'm worried about the heat, but I plan to)

Do you guys think thats a good idea or should I just try to get the air to flow straight through the case as fast as possible to increase circulation? The only other thing to note is that the room I keep my computer in is kept very cool and its right near the AC, so it gets pretty cool air.

Untitled-1.gif

dimwhited

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
the first thing on your to-do list should be to tidy up those cables... those cause a HUGE disruption in airflow. Ductape and sire ties can work wonders!! Also, use flat pata cables instead of rounded ones. flat pata's can be taped to the bottom of the case and wont disrupt airflow at all.

cooling is kina like the recent intel vs amd battle

intel tried to make things faster (adding more fans)

amd made things more efficient (clean up cables)

amd processors were way better

and if you want to get a conroe (leafblower) and put it in your case then go ahead.....
:lol:

IAM27

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Actually if I don't need a side intake I shouldn't have to do any dremeling for the fans. I already dremel'd the back of my case and it worked out okay though.

And the wires are tied up, but theres only about 2-3 inches of clearance between the PSU and the back of the optical drives. Theres just no place to put them in there.

Herr_Fritz

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
A blowhole at the top of your case will go a long way towards ridding warm air, however some cases cannot be modded in such a fashion (I have such a beast). Adding a rear exhaust near your CPU and PSU is prolly your best solution. As far as an intake fan...put it in the bottom front, to cool your HDDs. 120mm fans are the way to go if you have the room. Any fan will do though if you look at the specs for CFM and dB level, and they are up to par with what you want.

As far as modding goes, I have a PIII that I worked on to cool down with a side intake. 2nd set of pics.

Your case (whatever it is) should have some mounting points. If not, mod them yourself. Can you get us some more info on your case so we could help you a bit more with your choices?

Fritz

IAM27

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Theres no need to buy a new case if I can just mod this one. I'm building another computer in about 3 months, and will be spending all my money on the parts for that so I'm trying to be skimpy here. Also I enjoy using my dremel. Besides, from the look of things it seems like it'd be better for circulation to avoid adding holes on the side.

The case I have is the one that came with my Dell E510. As I said before not much is left of that machine, but its still got the case. If I can find any info on just the case I will post it.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
the first thing on your to-do list should be to tidy up those cables... those cause a HUGE disruption in airflow. Ductape and sire ties can work wonders!! Also, use flat pata cables instead of rounded ones. flat pata's can be taped to the bottom of the case and wont disrupt airflow at all.

cooling is kina like the recent intel vs amd battle

intel tried to make things faster (adding more fans)

amd made things more efficient (clean up cables)

amd processors were way better

and if you want to get a conroe (leafblower) and put it in your case then go ahead.....
:lol:
Good suggestions with the exception of the duct tape. I have found that when i used duct tape(as usually happens with all tape over time) the edges eventually loosen and curl, causing all the dust,lint and hair to collect on the tape...making a mess. Wire ties work good though.