The Symantec people have advised me that sometimes there
is an incompatibility between those two software
packages, causing Drive Image to halt part way through.
Their suggested solution involves going to Administrative
Tools and clearing out some of the 1700 "events" that I
found listed there. Of course, I have no knowledge of
what those events are or were, or why they are there.
Clearing them out apparently involves deleting things
in the Registry, and *that* always makes me nervous.
Any advice?
--
William B. Lurie

William B. Lurie wrote:
> The Symantec people have advised me that sometimes there
> is an incompatibility between those two software
> packages, causing Drive Image to halt part way through.
> Their suggested solution involves going to Administrative
> Tools and clearing out some of the 1700 "events" that I
> found listed there. Of course, I have no knowledge of
> what those events are or were, or why they are there.
> Clearing them out apparently involves deleting things
> in the Registry, and *that* always makes me nervous.
> Any advice?

Events are stored in separate log files, not the registry. Clearing an
event log is safe. You can save the log data first if you like before
clearing the log.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Tom Porterfield wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>
>> The Symantec people have advised me that sometimes there
>> is an incompatibility between those two software
>> packages, causing Drive Image to halt part way through.
>> Their suggested solution involves going to Administrative
>> Tools and clearing out some of the 1700 "events" that I
>> found listed there. Of course, I have no knowledge of
>> what those events are or were, or why they are there.
>> Clearing them out apparently involves deleting things
>> in the Registry, and *that* always makes me nervous.
>> Any advice?
>

> Events are stored in separate log files, not the registry. Clearing an
> event log is safe. You can save the log data first if you like before
> clearing the log.
That's a help, Tom. But I went there and didn't see how
to access or delete the event logs.
WBL

--
William B. Lurie

William B. Lurie wrote:
> That's a help, Tom. But I went there and didn't see how
> to access or delete the event logs.

In event viewer right click on the log you want to clear. On the
context menu that appears select Clear all Events. This is also
avaiable on the main Action menu when one of the logs is selected. You
will first be prompted to save the log before clearing the events.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

William B. Lurie wrote:
> Tom Porterfield wrote:
>
>> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>
>>> The Symantec people have advised me that sometimes there
>>> is an incompatibility between those two software
>>> packages, causing Drive Image to halt part way through.
>>> Their suggested solution involves going to Administrative
>>> Tools and clearing out some of the 1700 "events" that I
>>> found listed there. Of course, I have no knowledge of
>>> what those events are or were, or why they are there.
>>> Clearing them out apparently involves deleting things
>>> in the Registry, and *that* always makes me nervous.
>>> Any advice?
>>

>> Events are stored in separate log files, not the registry. Clearing
>> an event log is safe. You can save the log data first if you like
>> before clearing the log.
>
> That's a help, Tom. But I went there and didn't see how
> to access or delete the event logs.
> WBL

To be specific, would some kind soul write for me a
procedure for finding and clearing out Event Logs? Thank you.

--
William B. Lurie

Here's the procedure, you nitwit: Read Tom's response to
your earlier post.

TRENDING THREADS