netdom and multiple ou's

CB

I'm running into a problem adding a workstation account to a Windows 2003
domain using netdom.exe from the Windows 2000 Reskit. Here is what I'm
using:
netdom /d:my.domain.com %ComputerName%
/OU:OU=Level1,OU=Level2,OU=Level3,OU=Computers,DC=my,DC=domain,DC=com
/Ud:admin /Up:password /Verbose
This fails everytime, but if I drop the OU stuff the computer account will
be added to the default computer container without failure. The full path
to the structure is Level1.Level2.Level3.my.domain.com Any ideas?

Thanks.

Chuck

Try with the netdom from the windows 2003 reskit.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/e/c/8ec3a7d8-05b4-440a-a71e-ca3ee25fe057/rktools.exe

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 14:34:23 -0400, "CB" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I'm running into a problem adding a workstation account to a Windows 2003
>domain using netdom.exe from the Windows 2000 Reskit. Here is what I'm
>using:
>netdom /d:my.domain.com %ComputerName%
>/OU:OU=Level1,OU=Level2,OU=Level3,OU=Computers,DC=my,DC=domain,DC=com
>/Ud:admin /Up:password /Verbose
>This fails everytime, but if I drop the OU stuff the computer account will
>be added to the default computer container without failure. The full path
>to the structure is Level1.Level2.Level3.my.domain.com Any ideas?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Chuck

Try using netdom from the W2k3 Support Tools

Also, see tip 7617 » How can I get the NET commands to add users, groups, and computers to an Organization Unit that I define?
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

CB

Thanks for your response. But it doesn't seem to matter if I use the newest
version or an older version. The problem I'm faced with is I have to
migrate 4000 computers from various NT Domains and Workgroups to a
consolidated 2003 domain. We end up with a top level of my.domain.com, then
have everyone broken out by groups, then by location, then by physical site.
So I end up with computer accounts being placed in
Computers.Level3.Level2.Level1.my.domain.com. The other issue I have is
that I need to support both 2000 Pro and XP, so using a vbscript will only
work for the XP machines. I have cheked the password for the account I know
it's right, but I'm still getting the following error:
"Unable to update the password. The value provided as the current password
is incorrect."

Any other ideas?

"Paul Bergson" <pbergson@allete_nospam.com> wrote in message
> Try with the netdom from the windows 2003 reskit.
>

> http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/e/c/8ec3a7d8-05b4-440a-a71e-ca3ee25fe057/rktools.exe
>
> --
>

> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> rights.
>

> "CB" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I'm running into a problem adding a workstation account to a Windows 2003
>> domain using netdom.exe from the Windows 2000 Reskit. Here is what I'm
>> using:
>> netdom /d:my.domain.com %ComputerName%
>> /OU:OU=Level1,OU=Level2,OU=Level3,OU=Computers,DC=my,DC=domain,DC=com
>> /Ud:admin /Up:password /Verbose
>> This fails everytime, but if I drop the OU stuff the computer account
>> will be added to the default computer container without failure. The
>> full path to the structure is Level1.Level2.Level3.my.domain.com Any
>> ideas?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Chuck

Have you looked at ADMT?

This was made specifically for what you want to do.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/activedirectory/admt.asp

The link above is for 2000 but the latest addition goes from 2000 to 2000,
2000 to 2003 or 2003 to 2003. Check it out I think you will find it will
serve your needs.

"" wrote:
> I'm running into a problem adding a workstation account to a
> Windows 2003
> domain using netdom.exe from the Windows 2000 Reskit. Here is
> what I'm
> using:
> netdom /d:my.domain.com %ComputerName%
> /OU:OU=Level1,OU=Level2,OU=Level3,OU=Computers,DC=my,DC=domain
> ,DC=com
>
> /Ud:admin /Up:password /Verbose
> This fails everytime, but if I drop the OU stuff the computer
> account will
> be added to the default computer container without failure.
> The full path
> to the structure is Level1.Level2.Level3.my.domain.com Any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chuck

have you tried the windows 2003 version of netdom?

cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-netdom-multiple-ou-ftopict554325.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1760019