Domain Access, Non-Domain Workstation

Have a company that needs to migrate from a Workgroup to a Domain. Don't want
to switch every single computer to using Domain Account Login Names on day
one.

Can a workstation that is not added to a Domain access Shares on a Server in
the Domain by simply mapping and using the Different Username/Password
function?

Unfortunately, I don't have a Domain to test on...
3 answers Last reply
More about domain access domain workstation

    Simply stated, yes (assuming they have a domain account).

    --
    Dean Wells [MVP / Directory Services]
    MSEtechnology

    Hughes wrote:
    > Have a company that needs to migrate from a Workgroup to a Domain.
    > Don't want to switch every single computer to using Domain Account
    > Login Names on day one.
    >
    > Can a workstation that is not added to a Domain access Shares on a
    > Server in the Domain by simply mapping and using the Different
    > Username/Password function?
    >
    > Unfortunately, I don't have a Domain to test on...

    Excellent.

    Can someone provide the exact syntax for the User name: field?

    Will try DomainName\AccountName

    -Ken

    "Dean Wells [MVP]" wrote:

    > Simply stated, yes (assuming they have a domain account).
    >
    > --
    > Dean Wells [MVP / Directory Services]
    > MSEtechnology
    > [[ Please respond to the Newsgroup only regarding posts ]]
    > R e m o v e t h e m a s k t o s e n d e m a i l
    >
    > Hughes wrote:
    > > Have a company that needs to migrate from a Workgroup to a Domain.
    > > Don't want to switch every single computer to using Domain Account
    > > Login Names on day one.
    > >
    > > Can a workstation that is not added to a Domain access Shares on a
    > > Server in the Domain by simply mapping and using the Different
    > > Username/Password function?
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, I don't have a Domain to test on...

    That'll do nicely.

    --

    Hughes wrote:
    > Excellent.
    >
    > Can someone provide the exact syntax for the User name: field?
    >
    > Will try DomainName\AccountName
    >
    > -Ken
    >
    > "Dean Wells [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Simply stated, yes (assuming they have a domain account).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dean Wells [MVP / Directory Services]
    >> MSEtechnology
    >> [[ Please respond to the Newsgroup only regarding posts ]]
    >> R e m o v e t h e m a s k t o s e n d e m a i l
    >>
    >> Hughes wrote:
    >>> Have a company that needs to migrate from a Workgroup to a Domain.
    >>> Don't want to switch every single computer to using Domain Account
    >>> Login Names on day one.
    >>>
    >>> Can a workstation that is not added to a Domain access Shares on a
    >>> Server in the Domain by simply mapping and using the Different
    >>> Username/Password function?
    >>>
    >>> Unfortunately, I don't have a Domain to test on...

Domain Workstations Active Directory Windows