Lost ntds.dit have no backup on the server

I have lost the ntds.dit file on thedc that hold the PDC, RID,
Infrastructure and the other master roles, i have 2 other Dc, that keeping
the network running for now..

How do i recover the dc withouth the .dit file, i have the log files left.
if that helps..

Can i get the ntds.dit file from another dc and start up the dc??
Or Recrate the .dit file and boot the server and it recovers from the other
dc?? how about the pdc then??

or shall i Take over the roles to the other DCs and reinstall the dc on the
server?? How about the RID / Infrastructure roles then?
Or should i reconsider to migrate to a new domain and start over?.

Me In desperate need of help..

/Jonas Haggren

"" wrote:
> I have lost the ntds.dit file on thedc that hold the PDC, RID,
>
> Infrastructure and the other master roles, i have 2 other Dc,
> that keeping
> the network running for now..
>
> How do i recover the dc withouth the .dit file, i have the log
> files left.
> if that helps..
>
> Can i get the ntds.dit file from another dc and start up the
> dc??
> Or Recrate the .dit file and boot the server and it recovers
> from the other
> dc?? how about the pdc then??
>
> or shall i Take over the roles to the other DCs and reinstall
> the dc on the
> server?? How about the RID / Infrastructure roles then?
> Or should i reconsider to migrate to a new domain and start
> over?.
>
> Me In desperate need of help..
>
> /Jonas Haggren

if you lost the NTDS.DIT for a DC then you have lost that DC. Do you
have a VALID backup for that DC? If yes, you can restore it to save
the DC.

What you need to do is to:
* Seize the FSMO roles to another live DC
(http://www.petri.co.il/seizing_fsmo_roles.htm)
* Increase the ridavailable pool.. just to be sure you don’t introduce
duplicate sids (see somewhere in the doc
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=3EDA5A79-C99B-4DF9-823C-933FEBA08CFE)
* Do a metadata cleanup on another DC for the dead DC
(http://www.petri.co.il/seizing_fsmo_roles.htm)
* let the changes replicate
* install the server/dc from the start
* transfer the FSMO roles back if needed

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Lost-ntds.dit-backup-server-ftopict554615.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1761415