Canon Replaced my Printhead Free!

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 14, 2005 9:54:39 PM

FWIW, I bought the iP4000 on 5 January, 2005. Yesterday, the BCI-6 black
cartridge stopped printing. No, I didn't run it dry . . . there was about 3-4 ml
of ink in the ink tank of this 3-times-refilled cart.

Running the nozzle check showed everything looking very good except the BCI-6BK.
There was NOTHING (german accent) coming through.

I called Canon and they promised to send a new printhead out the same day.
Because I have a shoot tomorrow and need to proof it quickly, I chose to go to a
local authorized repair station when I waited about 25 minutes and walked out
with a perfectly-functioning printer with a new printhead installed at no cost
to me.

Since there have been a lot of shots taken at Canon for one reason or another. I
wanted to relate a "happy ending" tale.

I am, indeed a "Happy Camper."
DaveinFLL
=====================
It's not the heat, it's the humidity
=====================
(Think the humidity's bad?
You should watch us vote!)
=====================
May 14, 2005 11:23:14 PM

David Mehall wrote:

>FWIW, I bought the iP4000 on 5 January, 2005.
>Running the nozzle check showed everything looking very good except the BCI-6BK.
>
>I called Canon and they promised to send a new printhead out the same day.

As they should, since your printer is less than 5 months old.

>Since there have been a lot of shots taken at Canon for one reason or another. I
>wanted to relate a "happy ending" tale.

While it's nice to see they took care of the problem quickly, it doesn't
resolve the issue that the Canon semi-permanent printheads are failing
far too early.

This is not "happy" news for Canon users.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 2:14:30 AM

"David Mehall" <pixmaker@comcast.net> wrote in message
> FWIW, I bought the iP4000 on 5 January, 2005. Yesterday, the BCI-6 black
> cartridge stopped printing. No, I didn't run it dry . . . there was about
> 3-4 ml
> of ink in the ink tank of this 3-times-refilled cart.
>
> Running the nozzle check showed everything looking very good except the
> BCI-6BK.
> There was NOTHING (german accent) coming through.
>
> I called Canon and they promised to send a new printhead out the same day.
> Because I have a shoot tomorrow and need to proof it quickly, I chose to
> go to a
> local authorized repair station when I waited about 25 minutes and walked
> out
> with a perfectly-functioning printer with a new printhead installed at no
> cost
> to me.
>
> Since there have been a lot of shots taken at Canon for one reason or
> another. I
> wanted to relate a "happy ending" tale.

Lucky for you it was still under warrantee, otherwise it would be an expense
near to buying a new printer.
Related resources
May 15, 2005 2:30:47 AM

I guess I don't understand what you would find so extraordinary about them
fixing a printer less than 5 months old for free, it comes with a 1 year
warranty. I had lexmark send me a new refurbished printer when the new
refurbished printer I purchased failed during the warranty period. Isn't
that what they are supposed to do?

[...]

May 15, 2005 2:47:10 AM

Sounds like Canon is a good company that stands behind their stuff.

DUH wrote:

>I guess I don't understand what you would find so extraordinary about them
>fixing a printer less than 5 months old for free, it comes with a 1 year
>warranty. I had lexmark send me a new refurbished printer when the new
>refurbished printer I purchased failed during the warranty period. Isn't
>that what they are supposed to do?
>

>"David Mehall" <pixmaker@comcast.net> wrote in message
>FWIW, I bought the iP4000 on 5 January, 2005. Yesterday, the BCI-6 black
>cartridge stopped printing. No, I didn't run it dry . . . there was about
>3-4 ml
>of ink in the ink tank of this 3-times-refilled cart.
>
>Running the nozzle check showed everything looking very good except the
>BCI-6BK.
>There was NOTHING (german accent) coming through.
>
>I called Canon and they promised to send a new printhead out the same day.
>Because I have a shoot tomorrow and need to proof it quickly, I chose to go
>to a
>local authorized repair station when I waited about 25 minutes and walked
>out
>with a perfectly-functioning printer with a new printhead installed at no
>cost
>to me.
>
>Since there have been a lot of shots taken at Canon for one reason or
>another. I
>wanted to relate a "happy ending" tale.
>
>I am, indeed a "Happy Camper."
>DaveinFLL
>=====================
>It's not the heat, it's the humidity
>=====================
> (Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)
>=====================

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:19:02 AM

"Siggy" <thesignatory@thisblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ivor Floppy wrote:
>

>> Lucky for you it was still under warrantee, otherwise it would be an
>> expense near to buying a new printer.
>
> Near? I'm not so sure. Check these prices out.
> http://www.inkcessories.com/details.asp?CID=7&MID=3&PMI...

UK Prices

ip4000 printer - £89.99 (http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=686196)

ip4000 printhead - £65.75
(http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/acatalog/Canon_QY6_0049....)

And the printhead only lasts 5 months.....
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:20:47 AM

Siggy wrote:

>Ivor Floppy wrote:
>

>>Lucky for you it was still under warrantee, otherwise it would be an
>>expense near to buying a new printer.
>>

>Near? I'm not so sure. Check these prices out.
>http://www.inkcessories.com/details.asp?CID=7&MID=3&PMI...

Look at it this way. You buy the printhead. Then you buy a set of
carts. Over $100. A new IP4000 on sale about the same price. And you
get a new 1yr warranty.

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:38:50 AM

Ivor Floppy wrote:

>"Siggy" <thesignatory@thisblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>

>>Ivor Floppy wrote:
>>

>>>Lucky for you it was still under warrantee, otherwise it would be an
>>>expense near to buying a new printer.
>>>

>>Near? I'm not so sure. Check these prices out.
>>http://www.inkcessories.com/details.asp?CID=7&MID=3&PMI...
>>

>UK Prices
>
>ip4000 printer - £89.99 (http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=686196)
>
>ip4000 printhead - £65.75
>(http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/acatalog/Canon_QY6_0049....)
>
>And the printhead only lasts 5 months.....

Total Bullshit. Mine is almost 9 months old and no problems.

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:38:51 AM

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Ivor Floppy wrote:
>
>>"Siggy" <thesignatory@thisblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>Near? I'm not so sure. Check these prices out.
>>>http://www.inkcessories.com/details.asp?CID=7&MID=3&PMI...
>>>

>>UK Prices
>>
>>ip4000 printer - £89.99
>>(http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=686196)
>>
>>ip4000 printhead - £65.75
>>(http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/acatalog/Canon_QY6_0049....
title=QY6-
>>0049_%5Bi865%5D)
>>
>>And the printhead only lasts 5 months.....
>>

> Total Bullshit. Mine is almost 9 months old and no problems.

And that's Total Bullshit too. By your own admittance you hardly use the
printer. I've been following your threads. "Hey, look, I've had it nine
months and the print head still works," he chimes. Yeah, whoopdedoo. But
you've only printed 12 test photos and 3 pages of text and brag like you
actually know something and have printer experience. Some of us go
through a set of cartridges every week. Are you on your second set yet?
We're all so impressed that your total lack of intellect hasn't
prevented you from participating in this printer users newsgroup. Do
hang around a bit longer to amuse us. We could do with a daily dose of
laughter.

JHanson
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:56:55 AM

> Ivor Floppy wrote:
>
>>"Siggy" <thesignatory@thisblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>Near? I'm not so sure. Check these prices out.
>>>http://www.inkcessories.com/details.asp?CID=7&MID=3&PMI...
>>>

>>UK Prices
>>
>>ip4000 printer - £89.99 (http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=686196)
>>
>>ip4000 printhead - £65.75
>>(http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/acatalog/Canon_QY6_0049....)
>>
>>And the printhead only lasts 5 months.....
>
> Total Bullshit.

But its not total bullshit that the OP had Canon replace their printhead
after 5 months use without any hassle from Canon is it? Or have I totally
missed the point of the post that seems to be praising Canon? Myself, I
wouldn't be praising Canon if their printheads only lasted such a short
time.

> Mine is almost 9 months old and no problems.

And you yourself have admitted you don't print much - maybe when you do
you'll discover the short life of the printhead - probably when it fails
just after the warrantee expires. I doubt you'll be singing Canons praises
when that happens.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 10:05:44 AM

John A. Hanson wrote:

>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in
>

>>Ivor Floppy wrote:
>>

>>>"Siggy" <thesignatory@thisblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>UK Prices
>>>
>>>ip4000 printer - £89.99
>>>(http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=686196)
>>>
>>>ip4000 printhead - £65.75
>>>(http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/acatalog/Canon_QY6_0049....
>>>

>title=QY6-
>

>>>0049_%5Bi865%5D)
>>>
>>>And the printhead only lasts 5 months.....
>>>

>>Total Bullshit. Mine is almost 9 months old and no problems.
>>

>And that's Total Bullshit too. By your own admittance you hardly use the
>printer. I've been following your threads. "Hey, look, I've had it nine
>months and the print head still works," he chimes. Yeah, whoopdedoo. But
>you've only printed 12 test photos and 3 pages of text and brag like you
>actually know something and have printer experience. Some of us go
>through a set of cartridges every week.

Then after a year the printer's life is over. What do you expect?

>Are you on your second set yet?
>We're all so impressed that your total lack of intellect hasn't
>prevented you from participating in this printer users newsgroup. Do
>hang around a bit longer to amuse us. We could do with a daily dose of
>laughter.

I think that your daily dose should be in the form of a suppository.
But it would be difficult to know which orafice to place it since they
all appear the same.

>JHanson

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 2:31:31 PM

Ivor Floppy wrote:

> UK Prices
>
> ip4000 printer - £89.99
> (http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=686196)
> ip4000 printhead - £65.75
> (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/acatalog/Canon_QY6_0049....)
>
> And the printhead only lasts 5 months.....

I was quoting from another poster who frequents a private group I sub to. He
too lives in the UK and sent away to Inkcessories in USA /precisely/ because
he was quoted those prices you report above. Indeed he gave his thread the
subject: "Rip-off Britain". He was very happy to report that the total cost
of replacing the head came to:
<quote> "Inkcessories.com in Western California $58 incl postage and no tax.
Roughly
just over £30!! From order to letterbox = 6 days" </quote>

As to the disturbing possibility of such short service lives of these heads,
then again I can only repeat what I have heard, as I do not own such a
brand.. Another contributor to the same thread I mention above, stated his
view that the Canon IP5000 is the first Canon printer to have its printhead
rated for the lifetime of the printer. Can anyone else vouch for that?
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 4:58:51 PM

> Ivor Floppy wrote:
>

>> UK Prices
>>
>> ip4000 printer - £89.99
>> (http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=686196)
>> ip4000 printhead - £65.75
>> (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/acatalog/Canon_QY6_0049....)
>>
>> And the printhead only lasts 5 months.....
>
> I was quoting from another poster who frequents a private group I sub to.
> He too lives in the UK and sent away to Inkcessories in USA /precisely/
> because he was quoted those prices you report above. Indeed he gave his
> thread the subject: "Rip-off Britain". He was very happy to report that
> the total cost of replacing the head came to:
> <quote> "Inkcessories.com in Western California $58 incl postage and no
> tax. Roughly
> just over £30!! From order to letterbox = 6 days" </quote>
>
> As to the disturbing possibility of such short service lives of these
> heads, then again I can only repeat what I have heard, as I do not own
> such a brand.. Another contributor to the same thread I mention above,
> stated his view that the Canon IP5000 is the first Canon printer to have
> its printhead rated for the lifetime of the printer. Can anyone else vouch
> for that?

We've had this before - "printhead rated for the lifetime of the printer" is
Canon marketing-speak for "it's too expensive to replace the printhead when
it fails (after the warrantee runs out) so you may as well replace the
printer".

Hence, the printhead lasts the lifetime of the printer.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:04:24 PM

Ivor Floppy wrote:

> We've had this before - "printhead rated for the lifetime of the
> printer" is Canon marketing-speak for "it's too expensive to replace
> the printhead when it fails (after the warrantee runs out) so you may
> as well replace the printer".
>
> Hence, the printhead lasts the lifetime of the printer.

Even that costs only $5 more than the IP4000. So where's the problem even if
the claim is spurious?
At least you don't need the degree in rocket science required for the
Epson's, if you have to deal with a Canon head replacement.
jm2p
May 15, 2005 5:41:00 PM

They are, I've had my S520 for several years and love it and would buy
another Canon when the 520 quits. I just don't understand what is so
remarkable about a printer company fixing a problem with their product for
free during it's warranty period.

news:o dvhe.16930$J12.13033@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...

DUH wrote:

>I guess I don't understand what you would find so extraordinary about them
>fixing a printer less than 5 months old for free, it comes with a 1 year
>warranty. I had lexmark send me a new refurbished printer when the new
>refurbished printer I purchased failed during the warranty period. Isn't
>that what they are supposed to do?
>

>"David Mehall" <pixmaker@comcast.net> wrote in message
>FWIW, I bought the iP4000 on 5 January, 2005. Yesterday, the BCI-6 black
>cartridge stopped printing. No, I didn't run it dry . . . there was about
>3-4 ml
>of ink in the ink tank of this 3-times-refilled cart.
>
>Running the nozzle check showed everything looking very good except the
>BCI-6BK.
>There was NOTHING (german accent) coming through.
>
>I called Canon and they promised to send a new printhead out the same day.
>Because I have a shoot tomorrow and need to proof it quickly, I chose to go
>to a
>local authorized repair station when I waited about 25 minutes and walked
>out
>with a perfectly-functioning printer with a new printhead installed at no
>cost
>to me.
>
>Since there have been a lot of shots taken at Canon for one reason or
>another. I
>wanted to relate a "happy ending" tale.
>
>I am, indeed a "Happy Camper."
>DaveinFLL
>=====================
>It's not the heat, it's the humidity
>=====================
> (Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)
>=====================

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:54:00 PM

DUH wrote:

>They are, I've had my S520 for several years and love it and would buy
>another Canon when the 520 quits. I just don't understand what is so
>remarkable about a printer company fixing a problem with their product for
>free during it's warranty period.

The AfterMarket Club thinks differently from you.

>news:o dvhe.16930$J12.13033@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>Sounds like Canon is a good company that stands behind their stuff.
>
>DUH wrote:
>

>>I guess I don't understand what you would find so extraordinary about them
>>fixing a printer less than 5 months old for free, it comes with a 1 year
>>warranty. I had lexmark send me a new refurbished printer when the new
>>refurbished printer I purchased failed during the warranty period. Isn't
>>that what they are supposed to do?
>>

>>"David Mehall" <pixmaker@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>FWIW, I bought the iP4000 on 5 January, 2005. Yesterday, the BCI-6 black
>>cartridge stopped printing. No, I didn't run it dry . . . there was about
>>3-4 ml
>>of ink in the ink tank of this 3-times-refilled cart.
>>
>>Running the nozzle check showed everything looking very good except the
>>BCI-6BK.
>>There was NOTHING (german accent) coming through.
>>
>>I called Canon and they promised to send a new printhead out the same day.
>>Because I have a shoot tomorrow and need to proof it quickly, I chose to go
>>to a
>>local authorized repair station when I waited about 25 minutes and walked
>>out
>>with a perfectly-functioning printer with a new printhead installed at no
>>cost
>>to me.
>>
>>Since there have been a lot of shots taken at Canon for one reason or
>>another. I
>>wanted to relate a "happy ending" tale.
>>
>>I am, indeed a "Happy Camper."
>>DaveinFLL