How to go about single Cisco IP phone on SOHO network

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco (More info?)

Hello all - new to VOIP so bear with ;-)

Problem - costs involved communicating back home when away

Solution - VOIP

Here's the big question, current hardware is:

Toshiba laptop with Toshiba IP phone software
Cisco SOHO 97 ADSL router (fixed WAN IP address)

Can I connect a Cisco IP phone to the router back home and place VOIP
calls from the laptop (via cybercafe etc).

Do I need any other hardware?

Do I need a VOIP service provider, or can I call straight into the
fixed IP address?

Thanks in advance!

Chris
3 answers Last reply
More about single cisco phone soho network
  1. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco (More info?)

    Hi Chris,

    You may wish to investigate the Vonage SoftPhone:

    http://www.vonage.com/features.php?feature=softphone

    However, please keep in mind that Vonage "customer support" has gone
    totally down the tubes.

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    http://www.bradreese.com/index.htm#EXPERTS
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA/Canada Toll Free: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294
  2. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco (More info?)

    <chris@pubshoe.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all - new to VOIP so bear with ;-)
    >
    > Problem - costs involved communicating back home when away
    >
    > Solution - VOIP
    >
    > Here's the big question, current hardware is:
    >
    > Toshiba laptop with Toshiba IP phone software
    > Cisco SOHO 97 ADSL router (fixed WAN IP address)
    >
    > Can I connect a Cisco IP phone to the router back home and place VOIP
    > calls from the laptop (via cybercafe etc).
    >
    > Do I need any other hardware?
    >
    > Do I need a VOIP service provider, or can I call straight into the
    > fixed IP address?

    Make it easy.

    Get VMWare and a copy of CallManager.

    Install both.

    Put IP communicator on your laptop.

    Point it to a public IP for your CM.

    Put a 7960 on your LAN

    Call home like a crazy person.

    (you will need to punch a couple of holes through your firewall TCP 1720,
    2000, and UDP 16535 to 32768)

    Jonathan
  3. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco (More info?)

    Why would anyone want to use vonage? (yeah yeah I know there are people who
    just want a working phone)
    You have to pay extra for their softphone anyway.
    Not to mention the total lack of flexibility with them.

    "www.BradReese.Com" <Reese@BradReese.Com> wrote in message
    > Hi Chris,
    >
    > You may wish to investigate the Vonage SoftPhone:
    >
    > http://www.vonage.com/features.php?feature=softphone
    >
    > However, please keep in mind that Vonage "customer support" has gone
    > totally down the tubes.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Brad Reese
    > BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts
    > http://www.bradreese.com/index.htm#EXPERTS
    > 1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    > Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    > USA/Canada Toll Free: 877-549-2680