How to go about single Cisco IP phone on SOHO network

Last response: in Networking
Share
August 24, 2005 8:20:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco (More info?)

Hello all - new to VOIP so bear with ;-)

Problem - costs involved communicating back home when away

Solution - VOIP

Here's the big question, current hardware is:

Toshiba laptop with Toshiba IP phone software
Cisco SOHO 97 ADSL router (fixed WAN IP address)

Can I connect a Cisco IP phone to the router back home and place VOIP
calls from the laptop (via cybercafe etc).

Do I need any other hardware?

Do I need a VOIP service provider, or can I call straight into the
fixed IP address?

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 12:47:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco (More info?)

Hi Chris,

You may wish to investigate the Vonage SoftPhone:

http://www.vonage.com/features.php?feature=softphone

However, please keep in mind that Vonage "customer support" has gone
totally down the tubes.

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
http://www.bradreese.com/index.htm#EXPERTS
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA/Canada Toll Free: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294
August 25, 2005 3:56:23 AM

<chris@pubshoe.com> wrote in message
> Hello all - new to VOIP so bear with ;-)
>
> Problem - costs involved communicating back home when away
>
> Solution - VOIP
>
> Here's the big question, current hardware is:
>
> Toshiba laptop with Toshiba IP phone software
> Cisco SOHO 97 ADSL router (fixed WAN IP address)
>
> Can I connect a Cisco IP phone to the router back home and place VOIP
> calls from the laptop (via cybercafe etc).
>
> Do I need any other hardware?
>
> Do I need a VOIP service provider, or can I call straight into the
> fixed IP address?

Make it easy.

Get VMWare and a copy of CallManager.

Install both.

Put IP communicator on your laptop.

Point it to a public IP for your CM.

Put a 7960 on your LAN

Call home like a crazy person.

(you will need to punch a couple of holes through your firewall TCP 1720,
2000, and UDP 16535 to 32768)

Jonathan
August 25, 2005 8:43:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco (More info?)

Why would anyone want to use vonage? (yeah yeah I know there are people who
just want a working phone)
You have to pay extra for their softphone anyway.
Not to mention the total lack of flexibility with them.

!