ATI or Nvidia (high end battle) ?

ElWolF

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Hi everyone

im about to configuer my new pc

and im little bit confused which HIGH END video card do i choose?

ATI or Nvidia?

although im an ATI fan , but if the latest Nvidias are way better , its ok .

i dont care about the price as long its less than $1000 :p

please help

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
If you're about to configure your new PC and are willing to spend up to US $1,000 on the graphics card alone, then you will surely already know that the new cards from ATI and Nvidia are only 2-3 months away and you'd be better off waiting for the moment if you're looking to spend that sort of money.

You also didn't say what you'll be using the PC for, and any of the other specs.

mad_fitzy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
If you want it now id say get a 7950gx2. But I agree with ElWolF, if you have a grand to play with you would be able to get a top end dx10 card.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
I say go for a card like 7900GT or X1800XT, which are about $250. Both cards are great. And in like 6-9 months, get a top-line DX10 card.

Both 7900GT and X1800XT are very good cards, should run all games at max settings.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
I say go for a card like 7900GT or X1800XT, which are about $250. Both cards are great. And in like 6-9 months, get a top-line DX10 card.

I would second that. If you have a grand to spend on a video card get something decent now for around $300. This will make you a happy gamer for 6+ months. Then, when the new generation cards come out there will likely be the first batch, the second batch, etc. Do not get the very first new gen card that comes out. Wait for the second or third batch... It is pretty certain that the remaining $700 will get you a top of the line DX10 card.

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
You can get both the X1800XT and 7900GT for good prices on NewEgg now. The 7900GT is a little cheaper, like $5, but the X1800XT out performs it, barely, and has better image quality. Either one would be a good choice and will be able to run any game on max.

Yep, I'd agree with that, and even add the occasionally cheap X1900XT to make it a threesome of possibilities.

I prefer the X1900XT to X1800XT (I know, there's a bit of 'well duh' in that statement), but I like the flexability of the shader engines, and the better dynamic branch handling, so even if the X1900XT were clocked so that they performed more closely I'd still perfer it as a forward looking option.

But even for the short term, IMO the X1900XT would have better resale value than the X1800XT if you're going to flip the card. Of course, a counter argument is that the X1800XT is a good deal cheaper than the other two, so additional savings, and resale doesn't need to be as high because you're starting much lower anyways, and who knows which will feel depreciation more.

Anywhoo, needless to say I agree with your two, and then just add the third for personal preference.

Long way to say DITTO+. :mrgreen:

necroshine67

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
The ATI cards do have better picture, but if you get anything from evga, such as 7900gt, 7900gtx 7950, or below, if the new higher end dx10 cards come out you can use the step up program. so short term if you go that route nvidia might be better because, you get 90 days to use the card, if a better card comes out, you can exchange it for the newer better card.
say you pay 230 for an evga 7900gt, and the evga 8xxx dx10 card comesout within 90 days, they'll give you the 230 you spent on the 7900gt towards the new card.. plus evga has great support and life time warrenty..

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Well, I think, like everyone else here, that your best course of action will be one that, in the end, spends the bulk of your money on a nice, shiny set of DirectX 10 cards. I'm not quite sure when they'll be hitting shelves, but likely well before Vista will actually hit the scene; hence, their DX 10 features will be dormant until you upgrade Windows.

As for right now, I see two good options: the first, suggested by prozac26 and GGA, would be to go for a good, fairly high-end card; the Radeon X1800XT and X1900XT seem to cover this spot the best.

Another, possibly better, would be necroshine67's suggestion. eVGA certainly DOES offer a "Step-up" program; if you provide them with reciept of purchase of one of their video cards, within 6 months of purchase, (it might be 3, as I don't remember the exact amount) they'll give you full credit for the price you paid, which can then be applied to any new eVGA card.

Hence, you could go for a 7900GT (or even a 7950GX2, if you feel compelled) and then later, once the new cards launch, trade up your card for a new one. (or two)

The disadvantage of this is if the cards don't launch before the "trade-up" duration expires, you're left to sell off your old card the old-fassioned way, over eBay or what have you.

(it might be 3, as I don't remember the exact amount) they'll give you full credit for the price you paid, which can then be applied to any new eVGA card.

Yep it's 3 months. The only reason I haven't entered that mode yet, is now that they are looking for a mid fall release we are on the cusp of eVGA's step-up program. And actually it's 90 days not 3 months, so unless February is one of those months you have just under 3 months :| ;
http://www.evga.com/stepup/default.asp?switch=3

The disadvantage of this is if the cards don't launch before the "trade-up" duration expires, you're left to sell off your old card the old-fassioned way, over eBay or what have you.

Yep and I think that will be the case. Although buy in August, and you're likely closer to the target date being barely within the step-up program.

* Oh yeah PS, if you do go eVGA, be sure you get a NEW model number GF7900GT, as the previous eVGA ones had serious issues (eVGA even made a formal announcement about it and announced the replacements were starting to ship);
http://www.evga.com/articles/317.asp

frankenwookie

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I am going agree with pretty much everyone here and say go for the X1800XT for now and upgrade at the first of the year. I will keep my X1800XT till then I will give it to my best friend that can't afford all the latest and greatest stuff. I would like the X1900XT, but since they dropped the price of the 18 it was just too good to pass up.