"K8L: A Clarification!"

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Oldblue from XtremeSystems has some interesting facts about K8L.

Deerhound

Perkam has said that Deerhound will be a rev. G quad core. I believe this rumor originated from this roadmap, drawn by Hiroshige Goto of PC Watch. I'm fairly certain this is wrong. Goto's roadmap was published as part of a May 3rd article in which Goto said he believed the following:

1) Deerhound will be a quad-core server cpu with 2MB shared L3 released in mid 2007
2) Deerhound is rev. G
3) Rev. G looks like this.

On May 22nd, Goto expanded on his original speculation, including this mis-labeled image. Rumors based on these articles spread throughout the month of May, and continue to confuse people today.

On May 31st, Hiroshige Goto got the official story from Dirk Meyer from AMD. This is a great read for anyone interested in the topic. Dirk re-labeled the picture from Goto's May 22nd post. He also made it clear that rev. G is basically just a 65nm shrink of rev. F. Dirk also said that the "Hound" cores are the next generation cores with substantial extensions. Notice that Dirk labeled the core on the bottom "Hound". Compare it to Phil Hester's June 1st analyst day slides (Slide 13), and it is clear that the "Hound" Cores are K8L.

In Goto's May 31st article he also created this chart, clearly labeling Deerhound as a "Hound" core. At this point Goto no longer believed that Deerhound is rev. G, but rumors based on his original claim continue to spread.

Everything I have been able to find about Deerhound says it will be a quad-core with shared cache and come out in mid-2007. I have been unable to find anything from AMD to suggest that there will ever be any quad-core rev. G or any rev. G cpus with shared cache. Rev G. is essentially just 65 nm rev. F, with probably some minor tweaks.

Read the whole story here:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107308

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Oldblue from XtremeSystems has some interesting facts about K8L.

Deerhound

Perkam has said that Deerhound will be a rev. G quad core. I believe this rumor originated from this roadmap, drawn by Hiroshige Goto of PC Watch. I'm fairly certain this is wrong. Goto's roadmap was published as part of a May 3rd article in which Goto said he believed the following:

1) Deerhound will be a quad-core server cpu with 2MB shared L3 released in mid 2007
2) Deerhound is rev. G
3) Rev. G looks like this.

On May 22nd, Goto expanded on his original speculation, including this mis-labeled image. Rumors based on these articles spread throughout the month of May, and continue to confuse people today.

On May 31st, Hiroshige Goto got the official story from Dirk Meyer from AMD. This is a great read for anyone interested in the topic. Dirk re-labeled the picture from Goto's May 22nd post. He also made it clear that rev. G is basically just a 65nm shrink of rev. F. Dirk also said that the "Hound" cores are the next generation cores with substantial extensions. Notice that Dirk labeled the core on the bottom "Hound". Compare it to Phil Hester's June 1st analyst day slides (Slide 13), and it is clear that the "Hound" Cores are K8L.

In Goto's May 31st article he also created this chart, clearly labeling Deerhound as a "Hound" core. At this point Goto no longer believed that Deerhound is rev. G, but rumors based on his original claim continue to spread.

Everything I have been able to find about Deerhound says it will be a quad-core with shared cache and come out in mid-2007. I have been unable to find anything from AMD to suggest that there will ever be any quad-core rev. G or any rev. G cpus with shared cache. Rev G. is essentially just 65 nm rev. F, with probably some minor tweaks.

Read the whole story here:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107308

Maybe people will believe someone from XtremeSystems. He is saying exactly what I have been saying based on all the roadmaps quoted.

K8L Q207
K8L Dual Q207
BullDozer Q207

As for the 65nm ramp, AMD likely has the following priorities:

1) The new mobile core. I believe this is very important for AMD, and it's a 65nm-only core.
2) K8L cores. These are also 65nm-only.
3) High volume, low-clock, high-yield, "price war" parts. AMD needs to keep costs low to compete with Intel's P4 dump in the volume desktop market.

High-end AM2 parts should be among the last to leave the 90nm process. Of course, by that time, people should be putting 65nm K8L AM3 CPUs in AM2 sockets.

Sounds like what I said.

ghent123

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2004
Quote from oldblue
"I've been lurking for a while now, paying close attention to all the K8L talk. For what it's worth, here are some of my thoughts, based on AMD-provided information as much as possible. Much of this has already been mentioned, but I think it helps to tie it all together."

This is just his thoughts. But in all honesty, I do hope to see a 1st rev sample sometime around Sept to Dec this year. I'm very intrested to see what AMD can bring out with the K8L. Wish they would bring out more info about what they plan to do. If they can bring it out soon enough then it just gives us the end users more choices in the CPU market.

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Is it just me or have you really been saying that XS is crap everytime someone there posted how badly Conroe rapes A(nnihilated)MD?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Is it just me or have you really been saying that XS is crap everytime someone there posted how badly Conroe rapes A(nnihilated)MD?

I have never said anything bad about xtremesystems. Do you make this stuff as you go along? I always want to see what ANY CPU/GPU combo will do at 1280 as that's my preferred gaming res, but other than that....

Quote from oldblue
"I've been lurking for a while now, paying close attention to all the K8L talk. For what it's worth, here are some of my thoughts, based on AMD-provided information as much as possible. Much of this has already been mentioned, but I think it helps to tie it all together."

This is just his thoughts. But in all honesty, I do hope to see a 1st rev sample sometime around Sept to Dec this year. I'm very intrested to see what AMD can bring out with the K8L. Wish they would bring out more info about what they plan to do. If they can bring it out soon enough then it just gives us the end users more choices in the CPU market.

Yep. These statements are not facts. They are merely conjectures.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Maybe people will believe someone from XtremeSystems. He is saying exactly what I have been saying based on all the roadmaps quoted.

K8L Q207
K8L Dual Q207
BullDozer Q207
So this is solid then, that is we can take this one to the bank.

Did you read teh artcile? Do you knwo who Dirk Meyer is? This Goto guy SUPPOSEDLY got this info from Dirk Meyer.

For those who don't know, he is the Sr Chip Designer for AMD and responsible for Alpha 21164 and K8.

I think it's safe to say that Phil Hester from the roadmap "ad" and Dirk Meyer AND Hector Ruiz are not going to lie about their own products.

They all say K8L in Q207. Sampling should happen around the time production starts up on Brisbane.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I think it's safe to say that Phil Hester from the roadmap "ad" and Dirk Meyer AND Hector Ruiz are not going to lie about their own products.

Lie? Probably not. Embellish? Most likely. It's called advertising. The point is to make it sound good, even if it may not live up to the hype.

Sure, K8L could be great. But could be doesn't mean it will be. I'm waiting to see how just-before-production samples perform before passing judgement.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Lie? Probably not. Embellish? Most likely. It's called advertising. The point is to make it sound good, even if it may not live up to the hype.

Sure, K8L could be great. But could be doesn't mean it will be. I'm waiting to see how just-before-production samples perform before passing judgement.

That doesn't work with a public company. Wall St will not be happy. They have to forthright or they will pay the price. We all know AMD is like the CIA. You don't know until they want you to. tehy wil produce samples at their leisure not yours. It should only concern you if it doesn't come out when they say. I will be harder on them than you.

Totally off topic I just got access to an Opteron 875 system to dev with. Talk about fast.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

K8L Q207
K8L Dual Q207
BullDozer Q207
So this is solid then, that is we can take this one to the bank.

Did you read teh artcile? Do you knwo who Dirk Meyer is? This Goto guy SUPPOSEDLY got this info from Dirk Meyer.

For those who don't know, he is the Sr Chip Designer for AMD and responsible for Alpha 21164 and K8.

They all say K8L in Q207. Sampling should happen around the time production starts up on Brisbane. Read this...I think it smacks of what AMD is trying to do here.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00999/

"If I were AMD, and I really don't have anything to counter this, I'd know what I'd do: I'd announce some 65nm socket 939 processors like . . . now, and then make some."

"The best way for AMD to counter that (and maybe more importantly, boost their morale) is to announce that 65nm socket 939s CPUs will be made. AMD certainly did that a few times during the Jerry Sanders era (i.e. the K6-3), they could do it again."

BM is like a kid who's waiting for christmas....And he really does believe that Santa is coming. :?

Quote from oldblue

Yep. These statements are not facts. They are merely conjectures.

I'm actually surprised people voted on my simple statement. Seeing that I recieved 3 stars out of 5 votes means I probably got two or three 1 star votes.

Those people probably do not know the definition of "Fact" and "Conjecture". Therefore, to improve their vocabulary I will provide the following:

Webster's Dictionary - The definition of the word "FACT" -

- the quality of being actual : ACTUALITY <a question of fact hinges on evidence>

- a : something that has actual existence <space exploration is now a fact> b : an actual occurrence <prove the fact of damage>

- a piece of information presented as having objective reality
- in fact : in truth

Webster's Dictionary - The definition of the word "CONJECTURE" -

- a : inference from defective or presumptive evidence b : a conclusion deduced by surmise or guesswork c : a proposition (as in mathematics) before it has been proved or disproved

The two or three of you "1 star voters" have now been enlightened.

Try not to fall down and hurt your head. You may loose the valuable information that I have just provided.