cant complete winxp install.

fusedE

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
i just got the pentium D 805 with patriot 2gb memory(667), new 400GB hdd, new power supply.

here is my issue, when i try to install xp pro from bootup...
when that blue screen cames up asking to press F8(for the agreement) takes along time for it to come up. then when windows is installed... during load, it asks me whether i like my resolution as it is, i click OK, then it immediately locks trying to finish the rest of setup.

So i dont have any options than to restart, when i do restart im prompted as Administrator and i have to login and immediately while i try to login it just locks and the same process over and over and over even after yet another new install.

Does anyone know what is going on here? new mobo, new cpu, new power supply, new memory, new hdds, new vidcard.

Asus P5ND2-SLI
Patriot 2GB
Antec 500w
XFX UDD3 xxx 7600GT 256MB
2 400GB sata drives. Im trying to install on one and use the other as just storage.

brand new hardware and i cant finish installing windows... help!

fE

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
i just got the pentium D 805 with patriot 2gb memory(667), new 400GB hdd, new power supply.

here is my issue, when i try to install xp pro from bootup...
when that blue screen cames up asking to press F8(for the agreement) takes along time for it to come up. then when windows is installed... during load, it asks me whether i like my resolution as it is, i click OK, then it immediately locks trying to finish the rest of setup.

So i dont have any options than to restart, when i do restart im prompted as Administrator and i have to login and immediately while i try to login it just locks and the same process over and over and over even after yet another new install.

Does anyone know what is going on here? new mobo, new cpu, new power supply, new memory, new hdds, new vidcard.

Asus P5ND2-SLI
Patriot 2GB
Antec 500w
XFX UDD3 xxx 7600GT 256MB
2 400GB sata drives. Im trying to install on one and use the other as just storage.

brand new hardware and i cant finish installing windows... help!

fE

Going to go for bad RAM. Run memtest86 on it. http://www.memtest86.com

fusedE

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
alright thanks... found out it was mobo drivers needed to be installed...did it in safe mode.

got another question. with my setup, i can only hit around 3.2ghz before the system locks up. Sometimes i get lucky and hit 3.3-3.4ghz without locking out.

is that the max my cpu and mobo can take? should i do something else to see whether i can raise it up? im using the Zalman CNPS9500 heatsink, d805, patriot 2gb.

thanks in advance

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
alright thanks... found out it was mobo drivers needed to be installed...did it in safe mode.

got another question. with my setup, i can only hit around 3.2ghz before the system locks up. Sometimes i get lucky and hit 3.3-3.4ghz without locking out.

is that the max my cpu and mobo can take? should i do something else to see whether i can raise it up? im using the Zalman CNPS9500 heatsink, d805, patriot 2gb.

thanks in advance

This is way overclocking the 805 is such an utterly pointless thing to do. Each chip is different. Your lockups might be from the PSU at only 500W not being enough or the RAM. Asus boards are not exactly known for crazy overclocking either.