PSu unable to handle new rig?

Blueyonder

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Hey all.

Ok, so yesterday I started to upgrade my rig.
New components are:AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ AM2
Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G
2x 1Gig Corsair RAM DDR2
2x 300G SATA II Maxtor Harddrive (6v300f0)
1x Nvidea Quadro FX 540 PCI-Ex16 card
X-Power PSU 450W
Thermaltake case
The components Im taking from my old rig are
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
Netgear Wireless Network card (Both PCI)
LG DVD Re-Writer
Zip Drive 100M
Floppy Drive
1x IDE 200G Maxtor Harddrive
1x IDE 160G Maxtor Harddrive (with Windows already installed)
So I got everything together, and started putting the new rig together, turned it on and it came on for about 4 seconds (fans all started, HDD started up etc) then just before the monitors come on, or it has a BEEP to say its ok, it turns itself off.

I tried a bit of fiddling around, and made sure the motherboard was screwed in properly (it was)I then made sure no loose connections were touching the side of the case (they weren't). Then after a bit of pressing in both Power and reset buttons, I managed to get it to turn on. (hmmm) Once it was on, it was running fine. Nothing blew up, or burnt out, and it could see and use all my devices.

While it was on, I thought I might as well make sure my OS is ok, and with a bit of plpaying around and upgrading a few components, it worked fine. So I went about setting up a RAID on my two SATA II drives (as I want to use it for video editing) I went through that process fine, windows could see them, Bios could see them, and I made the RAID with no problems, except one. Everytime I needed to reboot the system, it would get to the "Windows is shutting down" screen, and just stay there until I hit the reset button.

So today, I try turning it on, and same problem. After a bit of fiddling with the power and reset button, I can get it on, but obviously I'm not happy with that and so get into the case again to try pulling out a few things.
With a hunch it mightbe a PSU thing I decided to remove the 2 SATA II drives from the PSU (I have a molex to 2 SATA adapter). And boot it up. And it works perfectly first time. Thinking it may be the cable, I managed to get hold of a molex to SATA adapter, and use the SATA power cable from the PSU. Boot it up, and lights come on, fans boot up etc, then 4 seconds later... nothing. Again, with a bit of fiddling I can get it on, but that's not what I wanted. So I power down, and remove the SATA cables again, and boot up. Works perfectly.

So, my guess is its the power supply, but Im not 100%. This is what I got off of the box:
+3.3V = 32A
+5V = 34A
+12V = 18A
-5V = 1A
-12V = 1A
+5Vsb = 2A
Total Max Output = 450W

I tried finding the power ratings for all the individual components, but with not much success. Ive read about the 12V rail needing over 20A for high end systems, so I was thinking about getting a new PSU. What do you guys think?

This is the one I have at the moment PSU
If its not addequate, can you recommend me a PSU, or what I need to look for?

Sorry it's a long post, I just wanted to make sure I said everything I tried!

allhell

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Strip it back down to a basic pc & then try it.
1 HD 1 CD rom video card 1 stick of ram cpu keyboard mouse & see f it will come up. Then add a component at a time & see what happens if it consistently fail with 1 particular component it might just be faulty or be the 1 thats overloading your psu.
You should know what to do from there.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Your PSU only has 1 12v rail. It might just be getting overwhelmed from the draw. While 18amps is fine for a rail remember that it is going to be handling more than just the videocard. It handles the board, cpu, and other components (any bling, watercooling, fans, etc). You have some advanced equiptment in there. Perhaps you might consider something with at least a dual 12 rail system (or even quad rail) with a minimum of 36 amps on a dual or 60 on a quad rail.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Quadro FX 540..hmm

the PSU isnt good but if it says 17 amps then it should run.

i would try getting a new PSU. Something 400w-500w Antec or Fortron Source

chenBrazil

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You did not mention any brand for your power supply... generic power supply always carry the values you mentioned in label...but never on wires... if you get a true 450 W PS it could handle your set up ... but for safety I would upgrade the power supply for a true 500 W up power supply from enermax , antec or any trust brand...

Blueyonder

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Ok, Ive just been doing a bit more testing and here's what I got:

With it stripped down to the CPU,2 sticks of RAM, and the video card..... it still won't boot up. I've tried various configurations, and still nothing. On a rare occasion it will bootup, but it's totaly random.

To boot it up, I have to kind of, press the power button, whilst holding the rest button, and as soon as the HDD light goes out, quickly release and re-press the reset button so the light comes back on, then release the button. it works 7/10 times.

According to the Extreme PSU calculator link, I only need approx 350W PSU, however mine is 450W :?:

So Im down to believe the PSU is either faulty, or not adequate. If anyone else can think of another reason, please fire away! I have checked and re-checked all connections, and they are all in firmly. so Im sure it's not that.

Phreejak: I'm hearing what your saying, and I think thats a very liekly case. This PSU was one that I thought would manage, as I can get it fairly cheaply and quickly, and seems to do what I need, with the right connectors etc. Any advances on that?

mad_fitzy: Yes, it is a big hobby of mine, and the whole reason I upgraded my computer. SHould have done a bit more research first though!

So, anyway. Do you think the PSU is faulty, or just inadequate?

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Well, if you cannot test it (the PSU) on another system then we are left to summarize based on what you do have. I believe it to be inadequate - especially along the 12v rail. I wouldn't go with anything less than 16 amps per rail (it would be better with more so that you could still be able to upgrade components and use the PSU) - of course, higher is better but then, so will the price.

That PSU you had the link for is excellent - strong amps across the dual 12v rails (22). The 500+ watts will also help for future requirements. Enermax has a good rep as well. I'm purchasing one from them this week myself.

Blueyonder

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
I AM in a poistion to buy a new PSU, but it really cant be anymore than £100 MAX. £50 would be ideal.

What do you reckon to the Enermax PSU I linked to, 2 posts before? I'm willing to pay that bit extra, if I know it'll be worth it.

EDIT: Ok, cheers! I'll order it today, and I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives. Wish me luck! :)

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I edited my above reply to you but to reinterate, it is a solid choice - I love the amperage across the rails. The fact that it is a dual 12v rail will help in the stability.

Blueyonder

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
lol thats ok I noticed.

Thanks to everyone who's made suggestions etc. Been a very good help to me! I'll post the results when my new PSU arrives.

Base don the issues you're having with the buttons, this may be as simple as the power buttons going out on your case. You can test this by opening the case and removing the 2-wire connector that goes to the power button. Then simply take a screwdriver and short the two pins briefly. If you computer starts immediately and this consistently works, then the power button is going out. $2 for a button or however much for a PSU...

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Strip it back down to a basic pc & then try it.
1 HD 1 CD rom video card 1 stick of ram cpu keyboard mouse & see f it will come up. Then add a component at a time & see what happens if it consistently fail with 1 particular component it might just be faulty or be the 1 thats overloading your psu.
You should know what to do from there.

While you do this kind of test series, watch the +12, +5 and +3V leads on the ATX connector using a quality multimeter. See in particular how much your peripherals drag down the +12.

Blueyonder

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Ok, so the new PSU arrived 2 days ago, and I installed it today.

No joy. Same problem.

A few more things that I thought of.

I made sure the motherboard was attatched to the case securley. Re-tightened the screws so they were comfortabley close.

I ran a memory test, and my RAM came up OK, so Im fairly certain it's not that.

I also tried connecting the Power Pins with a screwdriver incase it was the button failure, but unfortunatly, no luck

So, now Im kinda stuck... and would really appreciate any pearls of wisdom from people.

My only other ideas, are try re-seating the entire motherboard, all the connections. Or that the motherboard is faulty somehow. Would a BIOS reset achieve anything?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
You could try it in a piece by piece type of reseating.

Try it with JUST the videocard/ram (no peripherals) and boot up.

Then try a hard drive and boot up, etc. etc.

One piece at a time...

allhell

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Ok a wild guess here!!!
I have a case that sometimes holds the momentary power on switch in the on position at all times. When this happens the pc shuts down after 4 seconds as per the BIOS setting & it has happened a few times. I suspect your switch may be a bit flaky noting the same 4 seconds on time you mentioned. When using the pins on the MB to stsrt the PSU/system make sure u only short them for no more than 2 seconds.

Blueyonder

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Ok then, so just finished re-seating everything, and heres the results:

When I have just got the CPU and RAM plugged in (Nothing else, not even the video card) it still wont bot up properly. Getting the same few seconds of life, then nothing. During my sequential testing I discovered, if I try 3/4 times and no success, without changing anything, the next time it will usually boot up. (Not always though)

I tried performing a CMOS reset (why not, not much to loose!)

When I touched the pins with a screwdriver I literally only shorted them for 2 seconds, as soon as it came on, I removed the short, but it still came on for just a few seconds.

So, im leaning towards a mobo fault, but dont wanna RMA it until Im certain..

Oh, I just had a thought. I still have my old rig lying around. Would it be worth hooking up the Power Switch from my old rig, to the pins on my new rig? I suppose that would rule out a sticky button, but would that work??

Any help suggestions as what to do next?

Blueyonder

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Its the new Gigabyte socket AM2 board GA-M55plus-S3G.

So your saying its possible to use another power switch to activate this motherboards PSU?

EDIT: Just tried using the button from my old rig, and still nothing. But my guess is that, because it has the same problem when booting down (i.e just stays on the screen "Windows is shutting down") that maybe it's a motherboard fault?

Im sooo low on ideas right now....... :(

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Its the new Gigabyte socket AM2 board GA-M55plus-S3G.

So your saying its possible to use another power switch to activate this motherboards PSU?

EDIT: Just tried using the button from my old rig, and still nothing. But my guess is that, because it has the same problem when booting down (i.e just stays on the screen "Windows is shutting down") that maybe it's a motherboard fault?

Im sooo low on ideas right now....... :(

can u reinstall the OS..maybe be something as simple as that.

Blueyonder

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Hmmm..... I'd rather not go down that route unless I have to.... *suddenly realises he doesn't have many other options*........................Damn.

What makes you think it's an OS problem though? I'm just trying to follow the logic here. lol.

I have a back-up ghost image of my system before I swapped the mobo/cpu/ram over, would I be able to copy that contents of that image back over the OS, or would a fresh install be better? Or even a Repair install? It's just I really dont want to have to go through the process of installing and activating all my products again if I can help it. :(