Pocket Outlook "leave mail on server"

December 11, 2004 8:56:04 AM

I am looking for the option to leave the read mail on the pop server from my
Dell X30. I want to be able to read mail on my PDA then later read the same
mail on my desktop and delete the messages from the server after download to
the desktop. Anyone know if / how that can be enabled?
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 3:02:44 PM

Mike Moore wrote:
> I am looking for the option to leave the read mail on the pop server from my
> Dell X30. I want to be able to read mail on my PDA then later read the same
> mail on my desktop and delete the messages from the server after download to
> the desktop. Anyone know if / how that can be enabled?

In fact, leaving the e-mail on the server is the standard procedure in
Inbox. Only if you delete messages from the server, and empty deleted
items, and then connect to the POP3 server again, those deleted messages
will be deleted from the server. You can control when to empty deleted
messages (automatically or manually) through the account setup.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 7:58:12 PM

Marlof Bregonje, MS-MVP Mobile Devices wrote:
> In fact, leaving the e-mail on the server is the standard procedure in
> Inbox.

Is there any way to disable this standard behavior so that Pocket
Outlook does not leave the e-mail on the server? If it's not an option,
is there a registry tweak?

I ask because the people over at Gmail believe it may be related to an
issue I'm having with Pocket Outlook deleting existing messages from my
Inbox on the PPC when it downloads new messages from Gmail. They
believe that disabling the 'leave mail on server' behavior would solve
the problem.

Thanks,
Adam
December 21, 2004 7:58:13 PM

pocket outlook should only delete messages off the server when they are
deleted from the deleted items folder. if you do not empty the deleted item
folder they should still be on the server.

should be easy enough to run some test and check.

"Adam Herscher" <ahersche@umich.edu> wrote in message
| Marlof Bregonje, MS-MVP Mobile Devices wrote:
| > In fact, leaving the e-mail on the server is the standard procedure in
| > Inbox.
|
| Is there any way to disable this standard behavior so that Pocket
| Outlook does not leave the e-mail on the server? If it's not an option,
| is there a registry tweak?
|
| I ask because the people over at Gmail believe it may be related to an
| issue I'm having with Pocket Outlook deleting existing messages from my
| Inbox on the PPC when it downloads new messages from Gmail. They
| believe that disabling the 'leave mail on server' behavior would solve
| the problem.
|
| Thanks,
| Adam
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 11:57:09 PM

KDE wrote:
> pocket outlook should only delete messages off the server when they are
> deleted from the deleted items folder. if you do not empty the deleted item
> folder they should still be on the server.
>
> should be easy enough to run some test and check.

That's correct, and I appreciate the additional information, but my
initial question still stands. Is there any way to make Pocket Outlook
emulate the default behavior of other pop clients (like Outlook) where
messages are deleted from the server upon being downloaded?
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 11:57:10 PM

No, there isn't. At least not anything normal. I haven't heard of a hack
that does this either, but it is likely one that hasn't been looked for.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices

!