Replication of AD

Hi;
I have some problem abour replication. I have two machine. One of them
has some user. The other one was installed exchamge server. I need user
from the first computer. So I can replicate them.
But I have saome problem. Firstly, do I have to connect two machine in
one frest? or can I connect them while they are in different forest?
Also can they have differenet domain?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about replication

    We may have a language issue -- no real problem but you may wish to
    get someone to check over your response with you.

    [I assure you that I speak your language much worse than you do English,
    even if your language is one that I have studied. <grin>]

    KEEP POSTING and we will try to help...

    "RAYYILDIZ" <rayyildiz@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi;
    > I have some problem abour replication. I have two machine. One of them
    > has some user. The other one was installed exchamge server. I need user
    > from the first computer. So I can replicate them.
    > But I have saome problem. Firstly, do I have to connect two machine in
    > one frest? or can I connect them while they are in different forest?
    > Also can they have differenet domain?

    Active Directory replication ONLY occurs FULLY between Domain Controllers
    (DCs) of the SAME domain.

    Some limited information is replicated across all DCs of a forest but NOT
    the
    full list of Users or Computers.

    So in general: Yes, you need the DCs in the same domain.

    Also, the "Global Catalog servers" (GC) have a list of "every object" in the
    entire forest -- this list does NOT include "all attributes" but only the
    most
    essential and the information to find the responsible Domain DC for the
    rest.

    A GC is first of all a DC (from any of the Domains of the forest.) No
    replication
    occurs OUTSIDE the Forest.

    Exchange and any application that works with forest wide accounts needs
    access to a GC.

    In a SINGLE domain forest, every DC should be made a GC.

    In a Small Forest it is quite possible this will work well too. (Every DC a
    GC.)

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    RAYYILDIZ wrote:
    > Hi;
    > I have some problem abour replication. I have two machine. One of them
    > has some user. The other one was installed exchamge server. I need user
    > from the first computer. So I can replicate them.
    > But I have saome problem. Firstly, do I have to connect two machine in
    > one frest? or can I connect them while they are in different forest?
    > Also can they have differenet domain?

    First of all You have to look at this configuration not per-machine but
    from domain point of view. From Your post it seems like You have two
    different forests and You want to have mailboxes in forest A on exchange
    server in forest B.
    It is possible but You have to duplicate user accounts from forest A to
    forest B - this is described as I remeber in Exchange 2003 Planning Guide.

    --
    Tomasz Onyszko
    http://www.w2k.pl

Connection Active Directory Windows