Heatsink Installation Problem

apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
First time builder needs help.
I just installed the heatsink/fan. AMD AM2 with retail heatsink.
I clipped both sides of the heatsink on to the bracket but I cannot get the lever on the heatsink to move down and lock into place as shown on the AMD video. If I force it, I think that it will break. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Cabletwitch

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
You wont break it, belive me. Those things have to clamp on pretty tight so they dont move about when you move the machine around, and to make sure they have thebest contact with the heatspreader for maximum thermal transfer. Oh, and make sure you have thermal paste! Too many people seem to think they dont need it...

Just be lucky you have a heatspreader on those CPUs... you'd be paranoid if they were like the old Athlons. One too many cracked cores for my liking...

So go ahead, clip the ah heck on properly.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006

I cleaned the pad off my heatsink using rubbing alcohol and applied Arctic Silver V to the CPU. Much more effective. But I think I may have let air into it, because it idles around 54C. Metal transfers heat much better than air.

I may reseat the HSF this weekend.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
as steady as she can be, dont want excessive for on your mobo, Thats what happened to my old athlon xp :D
PLus have a good attitude about it and be patient.
I know I wasnt :D

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Well generally you install the CPU first into the socket, lower the ZIF lever, then install the heatsink on top. Are you sure you did it in the right order? I hope you didn't lock down the heatsink before locking down the CPU with the ZIF lever 8O

apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Boy! did I f**k up. I called AMD technical support. The problem was that I did not seat the heatsink properly. It is in so tight that I cannot get it off. I can think of only one solution. I will cut off one of the clips, then get a new heatsink. Boy this has really been a bad first time build experience.
Thanks for bearing with me.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Boy! did I f**k up. I called AMD technical support. The problem was that I did not seat the heatsink properly. It is in so tight that I cannot get it off. I can think of only one solution. I will cut off one of the clips, then get a new heatsink. Boy this has really been a bad first time build experience.
Thanks for bearing with me.
that's too bad about your heatsink, oh well. I guess this gives you an excuse to get a nice zalman heatsink/fan :lol:

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
a nice zalman heatsink like this would be 1. less likely to break your cpu during install (if you follow the directions on their site) 2. More effecient at getting heat away from the CPU 3. be quieter (i think) and most importantly 4. it looks cool lol

here is the link to the socket AM2 zalman heatsink

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118004)

but if you were to go for a different brand i would say go for ' Thermalright' OR 'Thermaltake'