How to obtain the lightest ink laydown with the iP4000>

From time to time, I make up sheets of business cards with special print-price
offers that I hand out at an event shoot. I create the layout with Adobe
Pagemaker then print sheets of 12 business-card-sized handouts. I want to print
on both sides of the letter-sized glossy photo paper.

The glossy side works fine but I find the back side needs a very light ink
laydown because it is not absorbent to any degree and must dry by evaporation.

I've tried to minimize the problem by using ultralight fonts in an effort to
reduce the drying time and "bloom" or "dot gain" but it's not working well.

What setting on the iP4000 will lay down the least ink?

Many thanks!

DaveinFLL
==========================
It's not the heat, it's the humidity
==========================
(Think the humidity's bad?
You should watch us vote!)
==========================
6 answers Last reply
More about obtain lightest laydown ip4000

    Your problem is not the printer, it's the paper. Some glossy photo papers
    have the back coated and won't accept ink. Typical is the Costco Kirkland
    glossy paper which works great with Canon printers (at a great price, I
    might add) but will not accept ink on the backside. Epson glossy photo
    paper also works extremely well but can be printed on the backside. It does
    have a very light Epson logo repeat printed on the back and the weight is a
    little less than some so you may or may not like it for cards. I have used
    it for greeting cards and, when printed on the back the logo is so light in
    comparison to the text or pictures I print that the Epson logo virtually
    disappears. An excellent material that can be printed on both sides and
    has the weight for cards is the Epson double sided matte paper. Pictures
    are not as vivid as when printed on gloss paper, but I use it frequently for
    greeting cards. There are some double sided glossy papers that someone on
    the NG may be able to tell you about. You might just google it. I haven't
    seen this type of paper stocked in the usual store except for specialty art
    stores that cater to graphic artists. Another thought would be to to a fold
    over card by setting up the back side upside down, printing only six per
    page, and folding them over.

    "David Mehall" <pixmaker@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > From time to time, I make up sheets of business cards with special
    > print-price
    > offers that I hand out at an event shoot. I create the layout with Adobe
    > Pagemaker then print sheets of 12 business-card-sized handouts. I want to
    > print
    > on both sides of the letter-sized glossy photo paper.
    >
    > The glossy side works fine but I find the back side needs a very light ink
    > laydown because it is not absorbent to any degree and must dry by
    > evaporation.
    >
    > I've tried to minimize the problem by using ultralight fonts in an effort
    > reduce the drying time and "bloom" or "dot gain" but it's not working
    > well.
    >
    > What setting on the iP4000 will lay down the least ink?
    >
    > Many thanks!
    >
    > DaveinFLL
    > ==========================
    > It's not the heat, it's the humidity
    > ==========================
    > (Think the humidity's bad?
    > You should watch us vote!)
    > ==========================

    The type of paper you are using isn't designed for duplex printing. Try
    finding a double sided photo paper and that would be the best solution. In
    order to reduce the ink laydown, go into properties and select custom for
    the quality setting and reduce it to a lower value. Then under color
    adjustment select manual and reduce the intensity to a low value. The image
    will be light, but it might help.
    Ron

    Burt wrote:

    >Your problem is not the printer, it's the paper. Some glossy photo papers
    >have the back coated and won't accept ink. Typical is the Costco Kirkland
    >glossy paper which works great with Canon printers (at a great price, I
    >might add) but will not accept ink on the backside. Epson glossy photo
    >paper also works extremely well but can be printed on the backside. It does
    >have a very light Epson logo repeat printed on the back and the weight is a
    >little less than some so you may or may not like it for cards. I have used
    >it for greeting cards and, when printed on the back the logo is so light in
    >comparison to the text or pictures I print that the Epson logo virtually
    >disappears. An excellent material that can be printed on both sides and
    >has the weight for cards is the Epson double sided matte paper.

    They also make a single sided matte paper that they call something like
    heavyweight. Yet the double sided is actually heavier and only a couple
    of dollars more at Staples.

    >Pictures
    >are not as vivid as when printed on gloss paper, but I use it frequently for
    >greeting cards. There are some double sided glossy papers that someone on
    >the NG may be able to tell you about. You might just google it. I haven't
    >seen this type of paper stocked in the usual store except for specialty art
    >stores that cater to graphic artists. Another thought would be to to a fold
    >over card by setting up the back side upside down, printing only six per
    >page, and folding them over.
    >
    >"David Mehall" <pixmaker@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>From time to time, I make up sheets of business cards with special
    >>print-price
    >>offers that I hand out at an event shoot. I create the layout with Adobe
    >>Pagemaker then print sheets of 12 business-card-sized handouts. I want to
    >>print
    >>on both sides of the letter-sized glossy photo paper.
    >>
    >>The glossy side works fine but I find the back side needs a very light ink
    >>laydown because it is not absorbent to any degree and must dry by
    >>evaporation.
    >>
    >>I've tried to minimize the problem by using ultralight fonts in an effort
    >>reduce the drying time and "bloom" or "dot gain" but it's not working
    >>well.
    >>
    >>What setting on the iP4000 will lay down the least ink?
    >>
    >>Many thanks!
    >>
    >>DaveinFLL
    >>==========================
    >>It's not the heat, it's the humidity
    >>==========================
    >> (Think the humidity's bad?
    >> You should watch us vote!)
    >>==========================

    I believe that David was inquiring about double side printing and the double
    sided matte paper is designed for optimal printing on both sides with both
    sides coated. Last week Staples had similar paper on sale - two for one -
    and I picked up a few packs to try out.

    > Burt wrote:
    >
    >>Your problem is not the printer, it's the paper. Some glossy photo papers
    >>have the back coated and won't accept ink. Typical is the Costco Kirkland
    >>glossy paper which works great with Canon printers (at a great price, I
    >>might add) but will not accept ink on the backside. Epson glossy photo
    >>paper also works extremely well but can be printed on the backside. It
    >>does have a very light Epson logo repeat printed on the back and the
    >>weight is a little less than some so you may or may not like it for cards.
    >>I have used it for greeting cards and, when printed on the back the logo
    >>is so light in comparison to the text or pictures I print that the Epson
    >>logo virtually disappears. An excellent material that can be printed on
    >>both sides and has the weight for cards is the Epson double sided matte
    >>paper.
    >
    > They also make a single sided matte paper that they call something like
    > heavyweight. Yet the double sided is actually heavier and only a couple
    > of dollars more at Staples.
    >(snip)

    David,
    You might try Kodak "Picture Paper". It's 51 lb, 81/2 x 11 7mil.Soft Gloss
    and can be printed on both sides without any logo or anything like that on
    the other side.
    I think I bought it at Sam's Club some time ago.
    Kodak is not the best photo paper for making photos on a Canon IP4000 or
    any Canon for that matter, but might very well work for the purpose you are
    wanting to use it for.
    Good luck,
    Don

    "Ron Cohen" <drc023@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > The type of paper you are using isn't designed for duplex printing. Try
    > finding a double sided photo paper and that would be the best solution. In
    > order to reduce the ink laydown, go into properties and select custom for
    > the quality setting and reduce it to a lower value. Then under color
    > adjustment select manual and reduce the intensity to a low value. The
    image
    > will be light, but it might help.
    > Ron
    >
    > "David Mehall" <pixmaker@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > From time to time, I make up sheets of business cards with special
    > > print-price
    > > offers that I hand out at an event shoot. I create the layout with
    Adobe
    > > Pagemaker then print sheets of 12 business-card-sized handouts. I want
    > > print
    > > on both sides of the letter-sized glossy photo paper.
    > >
    > > The glossy side works fine but I find the back side needs a very light
    ink
    > > laydown because it is not absorbent to any degree and must dry by
    > > evaporation.
    > >
    > > I've tried to minimize the problem by using ultralight fonts in an
    effort
    > > reduce the drying time and "bloom" or "dot gain" but it's not working
    > > well.
    > >
    > > What setting on the iP4000 will lay down the least ink?
    > >
    > > Many thanks!
    > >
    > > DaveinFLL
    > > It's not the heat, it's the humidity
    > > (Think the humidity's bad?
    > > You should watch us vote!)

    You might want to try the transparency setting, this setting should
    laydown the least amount of ink.

Printers Peripherals Product