Safe with Intel D975XBX for Kentsfield,or wait for BadAxe2??

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
To make CERTAIN I have a future upgrade path for Intel quad core processors, will I be better off waiting for the Bad Axe 2, or just go with the D975XBX now?

When does the BA2 come out?

Thanks guys. :eek:

marko0

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Kentsfield processors will have a 1333MHz FSB but the 975 is limited to 1066Mhz. Not sure how far you could OC the 975 FSB.

Starskysdad

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I really would wait and get a cheaper board for the time being, there are going to be lots of updates and learnings from the mobo manufacturers as they explore the full impact of conroe let alone Kentsfield.

If you go for a board now hoping to be able to run kentsfield to its fullest you will be nothing but disappointed.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
What a pity. I was hoping to get a mobo now with Conroe, and then pop a Kentsfield chip in next year. I dont want to have to replace the mobo.

I dont want to overclock (don't know how), so which board/boards would you recommend for this situation.

Thanks!

PS. Oh yes, and Crossfire compatible.

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
To make CERTAIN I have a future upgrade path for Intel quad core processors, will I be better off waiting for the Bad Axe 2, or just go with the D975XBX now?

When does the BA2 come out?

Thanks guys. :eek:

i'm 90 percent sure the bad axe 304 can do 1333Fsb right in the bios, so it shoudl handle a quad CPU with ease with a bios update.

dimwhited

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
i've found it best not to look too far into the future... shure, you can wait for price cuts.... in two years conroe will be selling for around eighty bucks... and in a few years you can have a board that has a 2 thz fsb...... who cares. Only worry about right now, the technologies that are available right now, and the boards that are available right now

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
and in a few years you can have a board that has a 2 thz fsb......
Currently there is no way that silicon can get over 10 ghz because it will break down, disintagrate. But in about 6 years or so they are going to use man made diamonds (possible already by slowly adding layers of carbon or something like that). The diamonds should be able to scale to 81 Ghz before disintagration. So we will hit a ceiling and will never be able to reach 2 thz. Unless some amazing breakthroughs happens. Info was takin from popsci magazine.