Sign in with
Your question

User experience of Conroe X6800 on P5B

Last response: in CPUs
July 20, 2006 3:51:35 PM

Hi There, I yesterday set up my new gaming rig with a conroe X6800 - I am lucky to have a sample to play with and thought I would let you know a few things I have found.

The P5B board is a tad small for all the mobo screws in a P180 case also they are right under the cable duct from the power supply so would not recommend for this case.

Sata Raid on the board is a disappointment.

The chip is really excellent - I have not overclocked yet (waiting for bios update) and here are some real work benchmarks that may be of interest
To setup Windows and all my apps (bitlord, BF2, network sw, spec forces, limewire, messenger and install all windows updates) took 50 minutes.

To restart from windows and go back in to start using apps 26 sec's

To select a BF2 server from BF2tracker and go into the map and start playing = 17 secs (this is amazing...usually i make a rollup during this time)

I can not run Aquamark/3DMark as my RAM gives violation error (corsair DDR2) although it ran 100% faster in the bit that works

Under heavy load CPU 48-52c
Mobo - 40c

Hope this helps people
July 20, 2006 4:14:41 PM

Sorry I have no where to host them and therefore link to, but i do have some yes.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2006 4:28:42 PM

Quote:
Sorry I have no where to host them and therefore link to, but i do have some yes.

Host on www.photobucket.com it's free.
July 20, 2006 6:15:27 PM

Quote:

http://www.tinypic.com

Even gives you a link to post on message boards, and it's free.
July 20, 2006 6:36:47 PM

Quote:
Before you post BS like this, get pics, and include them in your post. Without pics, you're BSing, and no one gives a sh!t about your "experience".

Don't be rude. I am interested.
July 21, 2006 6:25:28 PM

Ahh cut him some slack.

I think if he were going to make up a story, he could come up with one a lot more interesting than this.
July 21, 2006 6:31:13 PM

Until he posts pics, he's just making it up.
July 21, 2006 6:50:22 PM

Quote:
Before you post BS like this, get pics, and include them in your post. Without pics, you're BSing, and no one gives a sh!t about your "experience".

I'm not being rude, I'm stating harsh facts.

Quote:
Until he posts pics, he's just making it up.

Jelous much?
July 21, 2006 7:02:34 PM

Yes, I'm just so jealous to the point that I am making highly illogical and outlandish demands on someone who apparently owns a $1,000 processor that hasn't officially been released yet, announces it on an internet message board but, understandably, just can't seem to find a place to host his pictures of it.

Warning: This post contains unhealthy amounts of sarcasm and cynicism.
July 21, 2006 7:16:51 PM

Actually people would be jealous, especially if he had valid proof of this so called sample he got to "play" with.

Edit:

What if I were to say..:

"Oh.. I just got lucky today!! I got a 4x4 board running 2 FX-62, and it does this in so many secs, and this in so many secs, its grrrrrreat!."
July 21, 2006 7:42:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm just so jealous to the point that I am making highly illogical and outlandish demands on someone who apparently owns a $1,000 processor that hasn't officially been released yet, announces it on an internet message board but, understandably, just can't seem to find a place to host his pictures of it.

Warning: This post contains unhealthy amounts of sarcasm and cynicism.

Quote:
Yea, the CPU isn't even out and I'm SO SO jealous.

The E6800's have been at bestbuy in some places for over a week. Get over yourself and maybe this guy will post. The cpu's may be scarce but they are available.

PS-Even kentsfield is becoming popular with those with connection's now.
July 21, 2006 7:51:52 PM

You're right, what was I thinking? All I have to do is find out which of the 550 Best Buy stores in the U.S. has an E6800 in stock. There's bound to be lots, I doubt anyone was paying any attention to them.
July 21, 2006 7:51:55 PM

Errr.. I can't seem to find it on a BestBuy website.

Even so, I wouldn't not want to buy a CPU (1000.00) from a local dealer like Bestbuy, since state tax is involved.

Thats like tagging 70 bucks to it, when you can get s/h for free in some cases, or anything up to 10 bucks tagged on, from buying it out of state.
July 21, 2006 8:01:01 PM

Thats not the point you guys were being assholes to this guy and probably scared him off.
July 21, 2006 8:01:45 PM

Quote:
Thats not the point you guys were being assholes to this guy and probably scared him off.

and...
July 21, 2006 8:07:41 PM

Quote:

Scare him off? He was being bold enough to post about it.

If he could provide proof of this sample he got to "play" with, perhaps people could offer praise instead of... oh rubbish thoughts.
July 21, 2006 8:08:37 PM

Quote:

Don't be the most stupid poster on THG. I am Alexander the Great, if you are interested in anything worth.
July 21, 2006 8:46:22 PM

Who really cares either way? It's going to be released within the next week so having it now isn't really all that interesting.
July 21, 2006 10:19:00 PM

Very welcoming.
July 21, 2006 10:20:47 PM

Quote:
Who really cares either way? It's going to be released within the next week so having it now isn't really all that interesting.

Actually, I would say yes it is interesting, to see a few days in advance a real user's experience of a brand new CPU architecture.
July 21, 2006 10:30:17 PM

Quote:

No, the point is if you make claims you back them up. I expected better from you.
July 21, 2006 10:37:07 PM

Quote:
No, the point is if you make claims you back them up.

Agreed, and showing up with "proof" after launch will not count either.
July 22, 2006 12:13:33 AM

Quote:

No, the point is if you make claims you back them up. I expected better from you.

ummmm....ok
July 22, 2006 12:39:46 AM

After months of Xtremesystem users posting Conroe results, I'm afraid none of this qualifies as exciting news to me.
July 22, 2006 1:06:11 AM

Yet apparently a picture would make all the difference..... :roll:

Should I include a pitcure of my keyboard as I type this?

Getting back to the point, yes, I would be interested in a genuine user's first impressions of a Core 2 Duo CPU. The only real reviews I've seen so far are commercial websites and engineering samples.

Yes, a pic and some evidence would be great. But if it isn't there straight away, I won't flame the guy off the forums. If that keeps happening, there'll just be AMD vs Intel pnig png BS left here - it's already on the way as it is despite the efforts of some of the more knowledgeable users.
July 22, 2006 1:32:59 AM

Quote:

ummmm....ok

Ok lets just accept everything people say. I have a quad core K8L clocked at 1ghz and it uses 300W and thats just idling! :roll: Don't be such a fanboy.
July 22, 2006 1:35:09 AM

Quote:
Yet apparently a picture would make all the difference..... Rolling Eyes

Should I include a pitcure of my keyboard as I type this?

Theres a difference between a keyboard and a cpu. You typed this so obviously you have a keyboard.
July 22, 2006 2:14:42 AM

I've not once asked for a picture; I don't doubt that a few people have received their Core 2 Duos 1 week before launch.
July 22, 2006 3:13:28 AM

Quote:

ummmm....ok

Ok lets just accept everything people say. I have a quad core K8L clocked at 1ghz and it uses 300W and thats just idling! :roll: Don't be such a fanboy.

I'm confused about how I'm being a fanboy. I've said only good things about Intel in this thread and I've definately made no mention of anything AMD so maybe you should reread my post's and rethink yours. I was merely defending a newcomer who was being unnecessarily hounded by some forum police here which was totally out of line. Anyway i'm done in this thread.
July 22, 2006 3:30:33 AM

Good. When you make claims you back them up. Simple. I'm sure you can comprehend that one.
July 22, 2006 3:56:43 AM

Regardless if he actually has the X6800 or not, he does have a point about the P5B motherboard and the P180 case. Since the P180 has several of its standoffs bolted on to the case, the orientation of motherboard will cause issues. The main 24 pin power connector sits right on top of a standoff and will short the connections. So Buyer Beware!!! Also it uses the ICH8 Southbridge instead of the ICH8R so RAID options are limited to a separate onboard controller.
July 22, 2006 1:26:58 PM

Quote:
Hey, wait a minute, is that really the Lock Ness Monster or is it just a sock puppet going for a swim?

:lol:  :lol:  9nm has been spotted attempting to drown himself after the conroe benchmarks came out.
July 22, 2006 3:09:39 PM

Quote:
The E6800's have been at bestbuy in some places for over a week. Get over yourself and maybe this guy will post. The cpu's may be scarce but they are available.

The X6800 was actually available on newegg on the 14th when all the reviews came out. It had a full listing and was in stock when I got up that morning at 6:30am EST. It was still in stock at 8:00am when I got to work. I checked the status every 20 minutes or so while I was at work, and it went out of stock around 10:00am. The listing was removed altogether by 10:40am. I could have bought one that day for $1075 (at least that's what I remember the price being), but I didn't because I plan on getting an E6600.

That said, I wouldn't be particularly surprised if this guy does in fact have an X6800 system, but I still want to see pictures just like everyone else before I will believe it.
July 24, 2006 3:04:33 PM

Quote:

Don't be the most stupid poster on THG. I am Alexander the Great, if you are interested in anything worth.

Look man, you got a problem? We can take this outside.
July 24, 2006 3:59:10 PM

if you are that excited about a new product your dying to get, when u finally got it and set it up, with everything running, the first instinct reaction wud be

"omfg, i'm going to take a few pics and post it on the site"

digital cameras, camera phones, u name it, with the technology today, it is not rocket science to find a hosting space, if he can afford a X6800, he can afford the $10 a year domain and hosting fee from a hosting company.

if not, he shud post a line saying:" here is my MSN messenger, yahoo messenger, contact me for pics"

And as for BF2 loads in 17 seconds, are u serious? are you playing the game with no graphics detail at all? If you have had all the settings around Medium to High it will take more than that.

so like many here said, PICTURES !!!! IF YOU KNOW HOW TO SETUP A CUSTOMISED PC, U KNOW HOW TO FIND A HOSTING SPACE!!
!