Sign in with
Your question

FEAR opinions

Last response: in Video Games
October 20, 2005 6:55:34 PM

I thought i would start a post on FEAR, since i just bought it, and would like to see others opinion on the game. I like the game, think the graphics are pretty sick, and all the craziness inbetween is cool. I think the handling of game is kinda clumsy, but i guess this is in order to replicate "realism." Honestly, i think characters and map details look better in HL2. But FEAR's effects are real nice, except that when you shoot a gun the bullet coming out makes the gun look like a super soaker...I think the game gets a little lost in this. Consider, the game offers realism of particle richochet and sparks, dust, etc. Also, when shooting, the gun will lose a lot of aim and a player must compensate for this. And yet all i see are white lines coming out of my gun...kinda gay. Also, there is basically only one speed play in the game, a jog, i guess, cause i don't think anyone bobs up and down so much when walking. The lean options are real cool though, and all developers should consider this when making a FPS. If anyone knows of a/some review sites of graphic cards + FEAR, especially if they have a SLI review, PLEASE POST!

More about : fear opinions

October 20, 2005 11:58:01 PM

amazing game....i just wish it was scarier. i'll give it a 5/10 for scariness. i would put this in my top 10 favorite games, good graphics, great story, even good acting and humor. You can walk in this game instead of jogging too, just hit shift and this will make you aim better and move more quietly. Bullet time is pretty cool too, just throw and watch a grenade in bullet time. I also enjoyed how it was actually sort of challenging on normal mode. Overall its a great game.

With a 9800 Pro 128 i can play 800X600 with max details except for shadows and no AA or aniso.

-I'm sorry, but the UN must be firm with you. Let me in, or else.
-Or else what?
-Or else we will be very angry with you... and we will write you a letter, telling you how angry we are.
October 21, 2005 1:52:16 AM

At least it works for you. The game isn't as fun in 10 minute intervals.

Athlon 64-fx 53, socket 939
K8N Neo 2 Platinum
Sapphire X800XT 256 meg
2 Gig OCZ PC 3200 Dual DDR Platinum Rev 2
74411 in aquamark
Trying to figure out what it all does.
Related resources
October 21, 2005 10:02:25 AM

I don't like it - I get scared too much!

Seriously though, do not play it alone at 2am in the morning!

</font color=red><b><font color=red>■ ■ <font color=blue>■ ■ <font color=orange>■ ■ <font color=green>■ Dirty Little Sausage ■ </font color=green>■ ■ </font color=orange>■ ■ </font color=blue>■ ■</font color=red>
October 21, 2005 10:58:51 AM

I like the game.

The scary moments are really creepy, which is good. The scenery isn't variable enough in my opinion. The storyline (although I'm not that far yet I think, I'm in stage 3) is not too exciting. Not that many different opponents in the game.

The fire fights are amazing and is what makes the game a classic for me. Great physics, great bullet time, great gore effects, superb AI, absolute classic. I notice that while progressing in the game, although the opponents remain more or less the same type, their tactics seem to evolve. It is a perfect game for those that do not get off on the quantity of enemies, but on their ability to put up a good fight.

The multi player is fun too, I favor the elimination type games, but there aren't too many of those around yet. Hopefully more people with similar tastes will buy the game yet.

Gamespot gave it a 9.1. I'm keeping the jury in till I've finished up the single player. "I'll be back"

BigMac

<font color=green>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.</font color=green>
October 21, 2005 11:00:29 AM

You're such a sissie. Go on, and pour yourself another Bacardy. Or take two, and then resume playing the game.

BigMac

<font color=green>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.</font color=green>
October 26, 2005 1:20:28 PM

Good game, scary and all that. It's just not my thing. The game doesn't feel right to me. Give me HL2 or DOD Source.

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>
October 26, 2005 2:04:16 PM

When serving in multi-player, you can actually set the speed of the game, which is nice. Changes the feel of the game noticably.

BigMac

<font color=green>(")_(")
(-x"x-)This was Bunny. He died in a dreadful mattress fire.
(/~~\)</font color=green>
November 1, 2005 6:30:40 PM

Really? I'll have to check that out. I think a little more speed in the game would be nice. When I play single player, I flip out cause the bastard character does this annoying wimp a$$ jog. Dude, this guys is in a tactical unit, can't he move a little faster????? I think not including a sprint option is weak.
November 2, 2005 4:19:27 PM

yea my cousin been telling me about this game for about a week now, I think it's time i go get it.

"STOP BEING LAZY AND GOOGLE IT!"
January 3, 2006 9:26:03 PM

I play F.E.A.R. on my AMD Athlon X2 4800+ overclocked to 2.6GHz with 2GB of PC3200 RAM, Dual eVga Geforce 7800 GT COs and a Creative X-FI Xtreme Music soundcard.

Graphically the game is beautiful, playing on 1280x960 with 4X MSAA and 16X AF.

Only problems, soft shadows do not work correctly with Anti Aliasing, and Vert Sync has some sort of problem that causes my framerate to drop dramatically when enabled. 64-bit or Dual core support would be nice.
January 5, 2006 8:29:58 AM

Quote:
Only problems, soft shadows do not work correctly with Anti Aliasing, and Vert Sync has some sort of problem that causes my framerate to drop dramatically when enabled. 64-bit or Dual core support would be nice.

As it says in the read me and the manual, when enabling soft shadows you cannot use Anti Aliasing and AF and you should turn them off, because if you turn them on, soft shadowing is disabled (even though the UI shows the tickmark). So just turn on soft shadowing and set the resolution to maximum and enjoy.

There were some rumors that Monolith is going to fix this btw (actually it's not broken, it just wasn't implemented).
January 5, 2006 7:24:08 PM

Quote:

As it says in the read me and the manual, when enabling soft shadows you cannot use Anti Aliasing and AF and you should turn them off, because if you turn them on, soft shadowing is disabled (even though the UI shows the tickmark). So just turn on soft shadowing and set the resolution to maximum and enjoy.

There were some rumors that Monolith is going to fix this btw (actually it's not broken, it just wasn't implemented).
Well you're sort of correct, however if I enable soft shadowing first, and apply the changes, and then add AA you can use soft shadows still, however it ruins the edges when your flashlight is used on it.
January 6, 2006 11:09:33 AM

finished it a few weeks ago, cant say i found it scary i was expecting more after playing the demo(the demo was scarrier than the game) it kind of got borring looking at the same bland textures all the way through and the bullet time made fights far too easy, so i turned that off. i liked the ai untill it started to try and do the same thing in every similar situation, i had fun on a few parts just closing a door and waiting for them to open it and killing 4 guys at once.

the chatter of the clones is also so repetitive. ok story line if i where to rate the game i would give it about a 6/10 mark.
January 7, 2006 10:11:18 PM

god whatre you playing in easy mode you weenie those bots are friggin hard and even smarter on higher diffeculty(spelling). yes the dark corriders do get boreing but the game is still hella good and i mean what game textures dont get boreing? and even on easy ive never had more than 2 guys come through a door when i close it i think your computer is just stupid :) .
January 8, 2006 3:31:30 PM

Quote:
god whatre you playing in easy mode you weenie those bots are friggin hard and even smarter on higher diffeculty(spelling). yes the dark corriders do get boreing but the game is still hella good and i mean what game textures dont get boreing? and even on easy ive never had more than 2 guys come through a door when i close it i think your computer is just stupid :) .

hehe, i play all my games on the hardest setting. and it was a part where you go onto a little stair well i heard the clones below me 3 floors down, walked to the door oposite closed it and waited for them to open it..

now i think its just before the bit when you run into the big thing that fires rockets at you, in the garden place thing inbetween the buildings, that was easy too just duck behind a crate up the stairs far away enough from the wall to avoid splash and he wont come up the stairs...
January 8, 2006 5:36:30 PM

wait you havent played the real game yet? the levels are wwayyy different, there are only bits and pieces of the demo in there plus you get to fight a new guy on the office level hes hard and hella annoying. i havent gotten to finish the game due to mannnyy problemsmaybe someone can help, first off after using large amounts of cpu or ram my mouse just freezes in place i can still use it but its invisible and im gonna kill myself if i dont get this fixed!!!! heh i think it may just be the graphic driver anyone know a good driver cleaning utility? thank you.
January 8, 2006 6:00:18 PM

Quote:
wait you havent played the real game yet? the levels are wwayyy different, there are only bits and pieces of the demo in there plus you get to fight a new guy on the office level hes hard and hella annoying. i havent gotten to finish the game due to mannnyy problemsmaybe someone can help, first off after using large amounts of cpu or ram my mouse just freezes in place i can still use it but its invisible and im gonna kill myself if i dont get this fixed!!!! heh i think it may just be the graphic driver anyone know a good driver cleaning utility? thank you.

ive got the full game... as for your mouse, have you still got an AGP gfx? if you have look up the "PCI Latency tool" and change the setting to 64 or 128, that tool is known to solve mouse troubles and it stops certain games from being jumpy/staggering... also a friend of mine on another forum found that a usb card reader was affecting his mouse when he was playing games wierd i know.
January 8, 2006 6:05:17 PM

ya that was the weird thing at first it said my agp card was being read as a pci card so i fixed that but it didnt help ill try the latency thing when i get to my comp. sheesh i hate this right when i start up windows the first fresh install and this starts happening. o anyone know a good iso burning tool? and compression? Thank You.
January 8, 2006 9:43:49 PM

I didn't like it. After the 6th or 7th industrial building crawl I just quit playing. No scenery change, no new weapons or enemies. Bored and frustrated.
I did love the leaning, the tough-as-hell AI, the chipping walls and basically all the cool effects, but I got tired of running around the same sanitation building textures.
It was challenging, and I really, really liked that. I always start games on their second hardest level, to get the most out of them, and FEAR really delivered in that respect.
Overall, good game, but I actually prefer Quake in a lot of ways. If only you could take the AI of FEAR and plunk it into some of those stupid Strogg, Quake would have ruled. Too bad on both counts.
January 10, 2006 3:23:59 PM

I would place FEAR in my top 5 best games of 2005. Was a very fun game to play from begining to end.

I don't know off hand any review sites for FEAR with SLI, however I run an SLI system. FEAR is designed to take advantage of an SLI setup and does so well.

AMD64 4000+
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
2GB OCZ DDR400 Enhanced Latency Dual Channel Platinum
2 eVGA GeForce 7800GTX
MEMOREX 16x16 DUAL FORMAT INTERNAL DVDRW & 4x DOUBLE LAYER DVDR
Windows XP Professional (SP2)
Thermaltake Armor
!