need to help to format disk...

i have a 40gb HD and try to format it before a clean xp isntall. however,
there's only one 38gb partition when i run fdisk, and where is the rest of
about 2 gb space. i assume it's the EISA partition from Novell set up by
previous user ( i saw the wording Novell.....when system startup) or
whatever kind of system partition...

how can I reclaim those spaces?

Thanks

CC
8 answers Last reply
More about need format disk

    See link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

    Andre
    "Calvin C." <CChang@mjlm.com> wrote in message
    >i have a 40gb HD and try to format it before a clean xp isntall. however,
    >there's only one 38gb partition when i run fdisk, and where is the rest of
    >about 2 gb space. i assume it's the EISA partition from Novell set up by
    >previous user ( i saw the wording Novell.....when system startup) or
    >whatever kind of system partition...
    >
    > how can I reclaim those spaces?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > CC

    40gb is the size of the drive in unformatted form.. formatting uses up some
    of the space..

    "Calvin C." <CChang@mjlm.com> wrote in message
    >i have a 40gb HD and try to format it before a clean xp isntall. however,
    >there's only one 38gb partition when i run fdisk, and where is the rest of
    >about 2 gb space. i assume it's the EISA partition from Novell set up by
    >previous user ( i saw the wording Novell.....when system startup) or
    >whatever kind of system partition...
    >
    > how can I reclaim those spaces?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > CC

    Thanks for all your suggestions. I will try again and reply to group. CC

    In news:eV%23eY$vqEHA.1992@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Mike Hall <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> typed:

    > 40gb is the size of the drive in unformatted form.. formatting
    > uses
    > up some of the space..

    No, this isn't correct. He has a 38GB drive, not a 40GB one.

    All hard drive manufacturers define 1GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes,
    while the rest of the computer world, including Windows, defines
    it as 2 to the 30th power (1,073,741,824) bytes. So a 40 billion
    byte drive is actually around 38GB.

    Some people point out that the official international standard
    defines the "G" of GB as one billion, not 1,073,741,824. Correct
    though they are, using the binary value of GB is so well
    established in the computer world that I consider using the
    decimal value of a billion to be deceptive marketing.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Calvin C." <CChang@mjlm.com> wrote in message
    >>i have a 40gb HD and try to format it before a clean xp
    >>isntall.
    >>however, there's only one 38gb partition when i run fdisk, and
    >>where
    >>is the rest of about 2 gb space. i assume it's the EISA
    >>partition
    >>from Novell set up by previous user ( i saw the wording
    >>Novell.....when system startup) or whatever kind of system
    >>partition...
    >> how can I reclaim those spaces?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> CC

    I too have a problem with Trying to fdisk and format a new HD with xp pro.
    How do I do this when it will not boot up with the cd rom? I can use a win98
    boot disk and get the cd to recognize then put in the win xp pro cd and
    select setup, but it says this program cannot be ran in the dos mode. Only in
    windows but I don't have windows on the new HD. Hopefully someone can help me
    with this.
    Thanks

    "Calvin C." wrote:

    > i have a 40gb HD and try to format it before a clean xp isntall. however,
    > there's only one 38gb partition when i run fdisk, and where is the rest of
    > about 2 gb space. i assume it's the EISA partition from Novell set up by
    > previous user ( i saw the wording Novell.....when system startup) or
    > whatever kind of system partition...
    >
    > how can I reclaim those spaces?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > CC

    The XP CD does not include FDISK, you could only run that from a 9x boot
    floppy that contains the utility.

    That said, if you are simply trying to install XP clean, first, are you sure
    the system won't boot from the CD. When you boot, with the CD-ROM first in
    line in the BIOS boot sequence, during the boot, when the CD is detected,
    you should see a message to press any key if you wish to boot from the CD,
    you need to watch for it. In that case, all deleting, creating and
    formatting of partitions can be done from XP setup.

    If your system cannot boot from the CD-ROM drive, there are sets of boot
    floppies for XP Home and Pro to facilitate this type of setup when the
    system doesn't support booting from the CD-ROM:
    XP Home Edition:
    http://tinyurl.com/3azo

    XP Pro:
    http://tinyurl.com/4d3p

    Follow the instructions at the websites for use and installation.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "James O." <James O.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I too have a problem with Trying to fdisk and format a new HD with xp pro.
    > How do I do this when it will not boot up with the cd rom? I can use a
    > win98
    > boot disk and get the cd to recognize then put in the win xp pro cd and
    > select setup, but it says this program cannot be ran in the dos mode. Only
    > in
    > windows but I don't have windows on the new HD. Hopefully someone can help
    > me
    > with this.
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Calvin C." wrote:
    >
    >> i have a 40gb HD and try to format it before a clean xp isntall. however,
    >> there's only one 38gb partition when i run fdisk, and where is the rest
    >> of
    >> about 2 gb space. i assume it's the EISA partition from Novell set up by
    >> previous user ( i saw the wording Novell.....when system startup) or
    >> whatever kind of system partition...
    >>
    >> how can I reclaim those spaces?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> CC

    You are right, of course.. it is indeed deceptive marketing.. I will reword
    my replies in future, although I was always led to believe that it is the
    formatting of the drive, or should I say, the way that Windows formats, that
    leads to the anomaly between what a person is told they have and the usable
    space after formatting.. I have also believed that the format information
    does indeed use up some space..

    > In news:eV%23eY$vqEHA.1992@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Mike Hall <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> typed:
    >
    >> 40gb is the size of the drive in unformatted form.. formatting uses
    >> up some of the space..
    >

    > No, this isn't correct. He has a 38GB drive, not a 40GB one.
    >

    > All hard drive manufacturers define 1GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes, while the
    > rest of the computer world, including Windows, defines it as 2 to the 30th
    > power (1,073,741,824) bytes. So a 40 billion byte drive is actually around
    > 38GB.
    >

    > Some people point out that the official international standard defines the
    > "G" of GB as one billion, not 1,073,741,824. Correct though they are,
    > using the binary value of GB is so well established in the computer world
    > that I consider using the decimal value of a billion to be deceptive
    > marketing.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup
    >

    >> "Calvin C." <CChang@mjlm.com> wrote in message
    >>>i have a 40gb HD and try to format it before a clean xp isntall.
    >>>however, there's only one 38gb partition when i run fdisk, and where
    >>>is the rest of about 2 gb space. i assume it's the EISA partition
    >>>from Novell set up by previous user ( i saw the wording
    >>>Novell.....when system startup) or whatever kind of system
    >>>partition...
    >>> how can I reclaim those spaces?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> CC

    I suggest you run Fdisk from a diskette.

    "Calvin C." <CChang@mjlm.com> wrote in message
    i have a 40gb HD and try to format it before a clean xp isntall. however,
    there's only one 38gb partition when i run fdisk, and where is the rest of
    about 2 gb space. i assume it's the EISA partition from Novell set up by
    previous user ( i saw the wording Novell.....when system startup) or
    whatever kind of system partition...

    how can I reclaim those spaces?

    Thanks

    CC