Overclocking problems...

Bamapits

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I have a Pentium D 930 on a MSI 945PL Neo board. Everytime I increase the FSB passed 200mhz (800) my computer loads as a 586 mhz CPU with 15.0 multiplier. Why is it automatically shifting my FSB down. The CPU temp is at 22-25 C.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
try updating the bios. it might not support oc features, if all does not do well, then it might be your cpu itself, its not bad just manucatured un OC able. Different pieces of silicone have different oc headroom

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Where are you getting the 586 MHz reading from? If your multiplier is truly 15 then that equates to a 39 MHz bus speed. No modern mainboard supports such a low FSB.

What does the POST report the CPU speed as?

Bamapits

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I am getting the readings off of system details and also CPU-Z. The computer is posting at whatever speed I overclock at but the once it hits windows and I check the readings it is 585 x 15 with a bus speed of 39 just as you said. Even if I just OC to 201 FSB!

sailer

Splendid
There's a chance that your motherboard is not accepting the oc, so automatically cycles down as soon as everything is going after the post. Also the bios might not be accepting the oc. Another possible problem is that the voltage is not high enough.

Go to the motherboard manufacturor web site and read up on the specs and any overclock recommendations. Also make sure you have the latest bios. You may need a new board. Don't know. These are ideas to look at, and may or may not help.

Bamapits

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I just added a new BIOS and no help. What voltage should I change? I just don't understand why it is downgrading the FSB speed.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I suggest popping the CMOS battery out for 30 minutes or so hoping that when you reinstall it, the CMOS will be completely clear and the system will POST at the CPU default speed.

Is there anything in your BIOS about CPUID or "Microcode Update"?

Does the vendor explicitly claim PD 930 support for that board?

sailer

Splendid
I just added a new BIOS and no help. What voltage should I change? I just don't understand why it is downgrading the FSB speed.

Sometimes, and just sometimes, the voltage to the cpu needs to be raised when overclocking beyond normal. Otherwise the cpu starves and won't perform to the settings you want, resulting in a drop at the FSB.

An additional thought. Drop everything to stock speeds, cpu, ram, gpu. Measure all the voltages. Then start the oc one step at a time and when failure happens, make note of the voltages again. If there is no variance in the voltages at the point of failure, then as Bluntside suggested, you may have a cpu that won't accept the overclock without failure, or alternatively, your motherboard is not allowing the overclock.

Another thing to doublecheck, if you haven't done it already, is the ram. Use memtest86 and try one stick at a time to test for ram failure. There may be something else going on, but at this point, I'm out of ideas. Need a better thinking cap.

Bamapits

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I tried the battery trick but no success. It did reset everything, but the same scenario is occuring.

I suggest popping the CMOS battery out for 30 minutes or so hoping that when you reinstall it, the CMOS will be completely clear and the system will POST at the CPU default speed.

Is there anything in your BIOS about CPUID or "Microcode Update"?

Does the vendor explicitly claim PD 930 support for that board?

sailer

Splendid
You're right, this is weird. Change the northbridge voltage and check for changes. If none go back to stock voltage on the northbridge and try the ram voltage, though I don't think that's the problem. Its looking to me more like a motherboard problem at this point.

Mondoman

Splendid
Just because it won't OC doesn't mean it's defective. It's only rated as working to 800MHz FSB, right? Even with the same model, not all components will have the same performance limits.

Bamapits

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
So your telling me a MSI brand pretty good motherboard will not overvclock 1 mhz on the FSB? What about when I set it to 200 mhz FSB (default) and it still does the same thing?

sailer

Splendid
The motherboard may be defective, probably is for that matter. Whether or not its an MSI or some other brand doesn't matter. If it doesn't do what you want, then it will never please you. Worse, your's doesn't work well even when it isn't overclocked, so that indicates a big problem.

I had an MSI board once. It didn't do what I wanted, so I bought an ASUS that did. Asus is one of the better boards for overclocking, but not always. You have to check out each board for its characteristics. If you have the experience, DFI makes one of the best boards, IMO, for overclocking. It does take more work in that every step has to be done in setting it up, rather than having standard settings to cover everything. It all depends on what you're looking for.