Cannot Find RPC Server

I am doing my first experiments with building trusts and domains/forests in
a lab environment, and my first attempt at building a trust is failing. I
go to domain1.com and attempt to add domain2.com as a domain I trust (or as
a domain that trusts us), and I get

"RPC Server is unavailable"

I created each corresponding domain as a secondary DNS on the primary DNS
server for each domain. So I am able to fully resolve hosts in either
domain from the console of either domain controller. Ping domain1.com and
ping domain2.com will work from either domain's domain controller's
consoles. So my problem is not that I am not able to locate the domain
controller.

When I attempt to establish the trust from the other domain controller, it
appears to work. The RPC message only appears on one side. I suspect
that I don't have some necessary service running. Can someone guide me to
a solution?

--
Victor

"v yelsukov" <please@postinnewsgroup> wrote in message
> I am doing my first experiments with building trusts and domains/forests
in
> a lab environment, and my first attempt at building a trust is failing.
> go to domain1.com and attempt to add domain2.com as a domain I trust (or
as
> a domain that trusts us), and I get
>
> "RPC Server is unavailable"

Trusts within a Forest are automatic (except for shortcut trusts which
are very seldom needed.)

External trusts require NetBIOS name resolution -- which with multiple
subnets effectively requires WINS server.

> I created each corresponding domain as a secondary DNS on the primary DNS
> server for each domain. So I am able to fully resolve hosts in either
> domain from the console of either domain controller. Ping domain1.com
and
> ping domain2.com will work from either domain's domain controller's
> consoles. So my problem is not that I am not able to locate the domain
> controller.

If it is multiple forests then this is almost certainly a NetBIOS issue.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

> --
> Victor

Hi Victor,

These are useful to you.

"RPC Server Is Unavailable" Error Message When You Try to Establish a Trust
Between Domains
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329705

How to troubleshoot RPC Endpoint Mapper errors
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839880

Troubleshooting "RPC Server is Unavailable" in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224370

br,
Denis