Trying to add my first user...

Hi guys,

yes, I'm a newbie - but please help!

I've set up a server with Windows Server 2003 and Active Directory and
Exchange 2003. All going very well so far! Now I need to add my first
user.

I've been into Active Directory Users and Computers and added a user
called "office". The only thing I've changed in the user properties
from the default settings is the profile path
("\\Crtserver\Documents\Profiles\office") and the logon script wich is
a simple vbscript to map a network drive.

I then logged onto the client machine (clean install of Win XP Pro) as
administrator and joined the domain. All seemed to work fine.
Restarted the client machine and hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to log on. Now I hit
my problem. I logon using my new username (office) and password,
ensuring the "Log on to:" is set to the name of the domain. The machine
logs in without error (though it takes a while). However, the drive
isn't mapped and the profile seems to have been created locally, not on
the server. Under C:\Documents and Settings on the client machine is a
folder called "office". I would have expected "office.CRTSOLUTIONS"
(CRTSOLUTIONS is the name of the domain). Also, there is nothing in
the folder on the server where I asked it to create the profile.

Finally, when I then log off, I get told that windows could not update
my roaming profile.

:(

Now I'm grumpy! Can anyone help?

--
jbxPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

If the drive didn't map how did you expect it to be able to write to the
location? When you are logged in as the user try running the login script
locally and see what happens. Try saving a file to the location where you
want the roaming profile to be saved. You probably have permission issues.
Does the "Office" user have r/w permission to the locations you want it to
update?

There is no reason the office profile should have the crtsolutions appended.

"jbx" <jbx.1s3w4n@> wrote in message

> Hi guys,
>
> yes, I'm a newbie - but please help!
>
> I've set up a server with Windows Server 2003 and Active Directory and
> Exchange 2003. All going very well so far! Now I need to add my first
> user.
>
> I've been into Active Directory Users and Computers and added a user
> called "office". The only thing I've changed in the user properties
> from the default settings is the profile path
> ("\\Crtserver\Documents\Profiles\office") and the logon script wich is
> a simple vbscript to map a network drive.
>
> I then logged onto the client machine (clean install of Win XP Pro) as
> administrator and joined the domain. All seemed to work fine.
> Restarted the client machine and hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to log on. Now I hit
> my problem. I logon using my new username (office) and password,
> ensuring the "Log on to:" is set to the name of the domain. The machine
> logs in without error (though it takes a while). However, the drive
> isn't mapped and the profile seems to have been created locally, not on
> the server. Under C:\Documents and Settings on the client machine is a
> folder called "office". I would have expected "office.CRTSOLUTIONS"
> (CRTSOLUTIONS is the name of the domain). Also, there is nothing in
> the folder on the server where I asked it to create the profile.
>
> Finally, when I then log off, I get told that windows could not update
> my roaming profile.
>
> :(
>
> Now I'm grumpy! Can anyone help?
>

> --