Need help with motherboard config - noob!

wakkoguy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
I just got this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144156

and this motherboard
http://www.hypermicro.com/product.asp?pf_id=MBIN527LPT

It did not come with a manual (should've seen that one coming!) so I can't figure out where things go.

I have a 20+4 power connector. The mobo only supports the 20pin power supply. Am I supposed to plug in the 4 pin into the other power plug on the board? (I think it is the 12v slot). It is a p4 cpu.

Also, I can't figure out how to connect the audio from the case to the mobo. I have on board audio as well as an sb live digital card. Neither (that I can tell) have a place for a 10pin connector, only 4 pin. How can I connect the audio for my front panel?
TIA

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Try going to the website of the boards manufacturer and see what you can find.
The power connector, well your power supply is pretty new if it has a 24-pin power connector. Just plug in the 20 that the mobo supports, the extra 4-pins that you have are used for really high-end gaming boards like AsuS or DFI LP
hope this helps. :twisted:

You can't connect the front panel audio connector from your case.
You should install your sound card (better than onboard sound) and hook up the speakers, if you have 2 or 2.1, to the green connector on the back of the sound card.
If you have more speakers, you need to follow the directions from creative or better the speaker manufacturer.
Thanks.

wakkoguy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
Try going to the website of the boards manufacturer and see what you can find.
The power connector, well your power supply is pretty new if it has a 24-pin power connector. Just plug in the 20 that the mobo supports, the extra 4-pins that you have are used for really high-end gaming boards like AsuS or DFI LP
hope this helps. :twisted:

The board is made by intel but is not listed on their website (I can't seem to find a manual for it anywhere! really frustrating for a noob)
So you are saying that I don't need to worry about the 4 hole slot located by the cpu on the motherboard?

wakkoguy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
You can't connect the front panel audio connector from your case.
You should install your sound card (better than onboard sound) and hook up the speakers, if you have 2 or 2.1, to the green connector on the back of the sound card.
If you have more speakers, you need to follow the directions from creative or better the speaker manufacturer.
Thanks.

Why can't I connect the front panel audio connector from my case? Is it because my motherboard doesn't support it? I am using my speakers with my sblive card but was hoping to use the headphone port on the front of the computer for times when I need to be quiet.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Im assuming that you are reffering to the 4-pin molex connector??
Just connect everything you can, if you dont try powering it up and see if it starts up if not, well try connecting everything you can. but if you dont have a molec connector, you need to get a better psu.
With the no manual agenda. just try to connect all the little pins on the mobo, they should all be colour coded, if not.
Trial and Error comes into play :twisted:

If you don't see the external connector for onboard sound, it is not supported. Also if you use a sound card you cannot use the front panel audio connector unless you can connect to the sound card.
Connect your DVD/CD to the sound card plug (4 pin) with a sound cable if you like or use digital transfer. Back of CD/DVD to sound card.
Thanks.

wakkoguy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
Im assuming that you are reffering to the 4-pin molex connector??
Just connect everything you can, if you dont try powering it up and see if it starts up if not, well try connecting everything you can. but if you dont have a molec connector, you need to get a better psu.
I have an antec smartpower 400. It should have one right?

TRENDING THREADS