Sign in with
Your question

AMD FX-62 to be Cheaper than Conroe

Last response: in CPUs
July 20, 2006 5:20:24 PM

Quote:
AMD's Athlon 64 FX62 (2.8GHz/1MBx2 L2/1GHz HT) will also be included in the July 24 price cuts, with the new price to be lower than that of the Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (2.93GHz/4MB L2/1066MHz FSB).

See here: http://www.digitimes.com/bits_chips/a20060720VL200.html :lol: 

More about : amd cheaper conroe

July 20, 2006 5:22:12 PM

Good. I don't think very many people were impressed with the original price cut plans. I know i wasn't...
July 20, 2006 5:26:50 PM

the 2.4ghz core 2 duo crushes the fx62 in the majority of benchmarks.

Why would you spend 800 dollars on a processor compared to the 2.4ghz that cost roughly 320 and is just as fast if not faster? The athlon fx62 can't even touch the extreme edition.

Not a fanboy just logic tells me its a ripoff. Hmmm 800 bucks vs 320 ... let me see here ... lol

Quote:
AMD's Athlon 64 FX62 (2.8GHz/1MBx2 L2/1GHz HT) will also be included in the July 24 price cuts, with the new price to be lower than that of the Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (2.93GHz/4MB L2/1066MHz FSB).

Related resources
July 20, 2006 5:43:06 PM

The FX line will not go that low, thats just the way it is. You cant have your flagship model at $300, you just cant. Even the FX-57's are like $700.
July 20, 2006 6:03:50 PM

Quote:

Why would you spend 800 dollars on a processor compared to the 2.4ghz that cost roughly 320 and is just as fast if not faster? The athlon fx62 can't even touch the extreme edition.

Not a fanboy just logic tells me its a ripoff. Hmmm 800 bucks vs 320 ... let me see here ... lol

How many 965EEs were sold when AMD was draggin it up and down the block? Your opinion isnt' what makes people buy CPUs. Their's is.
July 20, 2006 6:09:37 PM

Quote:

How many 965EEs were sold when AMD was draggin it up and down the block? Your opinion isnt' what makes people buy CPUs. Their's is.

how many FX-62s are sold when Conroe kicks them around like puppies? your opinion isn't what makes people buy CPUs. Their's is.
July 20, 2006 6:13:54 PM

Quote:

The fx-62 is already cheaper then that conroe x6800 listed in the digi times

Quote:
AMD's Athlon 64 FX62 (2.8GHz/1MBx2 L2/1GHz HT) will also be included in the July 24 price cuts, with the new price to be lower than that of the Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (2.93GHz/4MB L2/1066MHz FSB)will also be included in the July 24 price cuts, with the new price to be lower than that of the Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (2.93GHz/4MB L2/1066MHz FSB). On May 26, DigiTimes reported that prices for the AMD Athlon 64 FX62 would start at US$999, as of July 23.

there is no way they will lower the prices to compete with the 6600/6700 so keep dreaming about $320 fx series
July 20, 2006 6:14:12 PM

Gah, this type of discussion was *idiotic* the first time it was brought up (by an intel fanboy) and it's still idiotic. Prices will reflect performance, to some degree. The "flagship"models will always be a little overpriced - and there will always be someone who will buy them. Other than that, Intel has the upper hand now and they will determine what the market prices (roughly) per level of performance are. AMD's prices will follow. If the FX is too expensive, it will drop in price until it sells.

Do any of the Intel fanboys here think that AMD would rather NOT sell their processors than drop the price to a point at which they will sell? If so, go back to gradeschool. That's just not how it works.

By the way, I'm going to buy a Core 2. But I'm not turning into some silly Intel Fanboy, anymore than I was an AMD fanboy when AMD CPU's were king of the hill. And when AMD releases a new CPU, as they eventually will, which beats the Intel CPUs, I still won't be a fanboy, for anyone.

PS Just for clarity, I'm not saying that posting this news link is idiotic. I'm saying that people who suggest that AMD's prices will be too high are idiotic. If they are too high, they will drop. Oh, and one other thing - prices on the market are determined by two things - the bulk price, from the manufacturer, and the demand. If the manufacturer sells processors for around 250 and has a MSRP of 300, that doesn't mean they'll sell for 300, not if they are brand new and not out in large enough quantities to fulfill demand. I don't *know* what will happen, but I won't be the least shocked if all of these core2 CPUs cost 500+ for a month or so, and if demand pushes prices up like this you can bet that AMD's prices won't drop quite so fast as they otherwise would.
July 20, 2006 6:30:23 PM

My multi-billion dollar corporation is more edgy and innovative than your multi-billion dollar corporation.
July 20, 2006 6:35:20 PM

So now AMD is saying their best processor (FX-62), which is worse than Intels soon-to-be best (X6800), will definitely be cheaper...

...what a mindf*ck... :roll:
July 20, 2006 6:55:22 PM

EEs have always been 999$
Why? Because they are worth the dang price premium (to a certain extent), something you cannot say about the FartXtreme series.
July 20, 2006 7:47:34 PM

Mrs Bytch, I like you already. You have a great sense of humor.

Though some markets act strange and marketing can affect how products are sold at a price that doesn't coincide with with their true value, I do hope that AMD's cpu's do drop in price to match their value and be more competitive with Conroe.
July 20, 2006 8:08:06 PM

Quote:

Owned. 8)
July 20, 2006 8:22:30 PM

Quote:
The E6300 at about $200 is about as good as the FX62. So, is it really cheaper?

Regardless, at that price please send one of each ASAP.
July 20, 2006 8:24:42 PM

Quote:
Oooh oooh can I be the first to bytch slap you when they do?? :lol: 

Have you had your mouse finger twitching impatiently while waiting to use that line?
July 20, 2006 8:29:42 PM

Oh snap.
July 20, 2006 8:48:12 PM

but, the 965EE can even touch the FX60, mostly on multi-threaded benchies...

the FX60 are only about 3-5% faster than 965EE on office apps / multi-threaded apps.

not like the X6800 performing 20-40% over an FX62
July 20, 2006 8:49:02 PM

just saying its going to be less then the extreme edition isnt saying much.... they are both still way out of my reach budget wise
July 20, 2006 8:50:32 PM

Quote:
there is no way they will lower the prices to compete with the 6600/6700 so keep dreaming about $320 fx series

The market doesnt allow you to sell inferior products at higher prices, it doesnt work that way. Could you see Saturn selling its Ion for $40,000? :roll:

No idiot! you won't be bytch slapping anybody. Keep all that slapping right there in the family. This is a forum. Just calm down and take it with a cold glass of water.
July 20, 2006 9:11:14 PM

Quote:

...If you plan on runing 32-bit forever and ever, then conrunt is 20% better than FX BUT once you put 64-bit on the table conrunt is a loser.
Still, if you don't believe me investigate yourself. :wink:
July 20, 2006 9:28:14 PM

Good work 9nm, you're well on your way to regaining your former titles. Lots of BS and FUD posted too, good work!
July 20, 2006 9:44:21 PM

how did you tell this?

have you already tried to run multiple benchies @ 64bit mode using an FX62 over a X6800?

owned...
July 20, 2006 9:50:21 PM

Quote:

...If you plan on runing 32-bit forever and ever, then conrunt is 20% better than FX BUT once you put 64-bit on the table conrunt is a loser.

Hey 9-inch can you suck your own 9-inch? You always BS about Intel regardless of what you put. Post some links if you seen the test, if not keep your thought cause I think it is pointless hearing a diehard fanboy fighting AMD. GO SUK A COCK B!TCH
July 20, 2006 9:51:16 PM

dude the 6800 is 999 while the fx 62 is 799...it is already cheaper than the 6800....what the heck is with this post?

i know that the 6600 is still beating the 62 and its only 316 but this is not about that.
July 20, 2006 9:56:09 PM

Children, children, children...

...This is some of the worst flaming I've ever seen. I know that some parts of THG may be a joke, but as a general rule, the Forumz are supposed to not, am I right?

I can hardly believe what sort of angry sentiments are flowing around like burning oil here. Why the heck would anyone be acting like this? It's completely irrational behavior.

The truth is the truth: regardless of how they perform against EACH OTHER, we're seeing both Intel and AMD producing competitive processors, and it looks like they'll be at prices that I think we'll all agree are insanely low. AMD's pricing will match the competition, so for the processors already out there, I doubt, in a month, a single one of them will cost as much as $400US. Likewise, you'll probably be able to get a Conroe of equivalent (perhaps slightly better) performance for the same money. (provided that they haven't had shortages, keeping up with the demand)

This is simply GREAT news for system builders. Those people who actually care about having a great system at a price that doesn't make their wallet belch black smoke are actually thrilled at this prospect.

You don't see this sort of fighting even between ATi and nVidia fanboys; when one company makes a major launch, you might see a little bickering, but not a full-fledge flame war; things quiet down pretty quickly.

Please, I'd just like to see these Forumz be a little more civil than this. Last I recalled, they existed to provide a means to share hardware information, not to give angry fans a soap box.
July 20, 2006 10:53:04 PM

So, let's get this straight, the E6600 which will be the basis for my new system, costs less than half of what the FX62 does. The E6600, uses less power, and from early indications, overclocks to around 4GHz on stock cooling in certain cases! All the while, the FX62 is basicaly heading to the limit of that particular cores frequency/power potential.

I've put a considerable amout of time into researching my future machine and really feel like there is no better deal. Fanboys from either side can say what they want, but I feel like I am making an informed decision about todays market. Honestly, even if the FX62 costs less than the E6600 I wouldn't consider it, it is not worth the money, especialy factoring in overclocking.

The current line of AMD products are dead in the water tech wise (it's a really old tech after all). I hope, and do believe, that they will have a competitive solution in 6-12 months time. But for pure power and value, Core 2 Duo is the now. Why anyone is arguing about this is beyound me. Perhaps it is just the very small minority which want to claim that AMD is god-like regardless of the real situation?
July 21, 2006 12:37:00 AM

I think AMD would really benefit from their 4 X 4 platform right about now, they could drop the FX prices to 550 or so, and have a quad CPU rig for 2 X 550 + 260 for motherboard lol then again, ... blah. why bother.
July 21, 2006 1:16:32 AM

Quote:

Conroe still beats AMD. Granted not by as much as 32-bit, but it still wins. YOU lose.
July 21, 2006 3:08:22 AM

Quote:
dude the 6800 is 999 while the fx 62 is 799...it is already cheaper than the 6800....what the heck is with this post?

i know that the 6600 is still beating the 62 and its only 316 but this is not about that.

Sure it is. Why pay more for the same performance? Because of a name? Bragging rights?

Comparing a a FX 62 to a 6800EE based on the fact that both sit at the top of a list of names is fool-hardy. Comparing lines by relative performance relegates the FX62 to the 6600 level. $500 price difference. Simple. Price per unit of performance, not price per unit of dick size. Paying $200 more for better perfromance (6800EE vs FX 62) is a logical statement. Again, price per unit of performance. Again, simple.

If someone wants to brag over a FX62, let em. Id rather have the 6600 and the extra $500 to buy more ram or a better video card.

Peace :) 
July 21, 2006 3:53:59 AM

Quote:
how many FX-62s are sold when Conroe kicks them around like puppies? your opinion isn't what makes people buy CPUs. Their's is.

Poor puppies. :( 
July 21, 2006 3:59:07 AM

Quote:

:lol:  :mrgreen:
July 21, 2006 4:51:56 AM

Quote:

Please, fanboys, don't hurt the puppies. :cry:  :cry:  They can have a full life ahead of them regardless of who sells how many processors and which processor has which score in which benchmark. It is up to you!
July 21, 2006 6:11:06 AM

Quote:

Look good buddy, If E6800 was to be sold @ $10 a dozen, I still wont buy it. It's matter of principle (something your never know the meaning of), and there are millions of us out there w/ principle.
Intel has been ripping you off for more than 4 years w/ the netburst crap, expensive motherboards, and every 6 months upgraded chipset so it can suck more money out of you retards. It got down to the point that the retailer/resellers were forced to go bankrupt because Intel reneged on it's side of agreement (rebate as an example). The antitrust laws of every country were ignored and bribed big distributers not to sell AMD products.
These are a few examples of how Intel operates that has hurt consumers, merchants and all peripheral technology Entities. The Intel employees will tell you the amount of cut throat exist in the workplace, and no “one” employee feels secure if he/she will have a job next day.
You ought to be thanking AMD for giving Intel incentive to wake up and save itself. But I believe the damage is irreversible and Intel will never get back up its feet.
So go a head gloat like a wild goat about your master and enjoy your short lived party. 3 months from now you will regret why you wasted your money on the bustards.
July 21, 2006 6:29:03 AM

I think you're confusing the word "principle" with the word "pride"
July 21, 2006 7:24:31 AM

Or infantile / irrational / pointless / insert next childish adjective here behaviour.

I still don't see why people (and normally those that are least informed) defend a company so much.
July 21, 2006 7:57:01 AM

Wake up. Both Intel and AMD are corporations first and foremost. Their top priority is towards their profit margins! If pleasing us increases their profits (it usually does) then they will do so. :roll:

If AMD was dominating the market and Intel was the underdog I really doubt that they (AMD) would have behaved in a different manner to how Intel did.

I don’t understand the fanatical defence of AMD (and Intel when Prescott was out). Grow up! :evil: 

I think someone should do a study on fan boyism.
:D 
July 21, 2006 8:21:54 AM

Wow, Ycon... did you come up with that all on your own? That was very impressive, you seem to have a bright future ahead of you. You should be a rodeo clown, you would probably be good at it. I really don't see how the EE is worth $999, when you can buy one for half the price and get the same crappy performance. Not even the to be released Conroe EE will be worth $1000 IMO. I can just buy a less expensive one and OC it if I really need to, which I don't see why I would, they are already fast.
July 21, 2006 9:35:54 AM

Do you know what I find intrusting? The fact that when someone told you Intel's processor outperformed AMD's, that you changed the subject to that of moral principles. The question I ask is this: If you support morally (this is objective but to continue) correct companies, would you buy anything? Think about it, Intel may be in the wrong, and I am not saying this is acceptable, but every company in the world would, and probably has, done something morally questionable if it made them more money. Its human nature. So if you try to successfully argue that you wont buy processors from companies that do "unmoral" things, don’t buy Intel or AMD!
July 21, 2006 9:46:26 AM

Quote:
Do you know what I find intrusting? The fact that when someone told you Intel's processor outperformed AMD's, that you changed the subject to that of moral principles. The question I ask is this: If you support morally (this is objective but to continue) correct companies, would you buy anything? Think about it, Intel may be in the wrong, and I am not saying this is acceptable, but every company in the world would, and probably has, done something morally questionable if it made them more money. Its human nature. So if you try to successfully argue that you wont buy processors from companies that do "unmoral" things, don’t buy Intel or AMD!
Yeah...just like the Memory mfgr's price fixing...I wonder what brand of RAM he uses?
July 21, 2006 10:22:46 AM

Quote:

Look good buddy, If E6800 was to be sold @ $10 a dozen, I still wont buy it. It's matter of principle (something your never know the meaning of), and there are millions of us out there w/ principle.
Intel has been ripping you off for more than 4 years w/ the netburst crap, expensive motherboards, and every 6 months upgraded chipset so it can suck more money out of you retards. It got down to the point that the retailer/resellers were forced to go bankrupt because Intel reneged on it's side of agreement (rebate as an example). The antitrust laws of every country were ignored and bribed big distributers not to sell AMD products.
These are a few examples of how Intel operates that has hurt consumers, merchants and all peripheral technology Entities. The Intel employees will tell you the amount of cut throat exist in the workplace, and no “one” employee feels secure if he/she will have a job next day.
You ought to be thanking AMD for giving Intel incentive to wake up and save itself. But I believe the damage is irreversible and Intel will never get back up its feet.
So go a head gloat like a wild goat about your master and enjoy your short lived party. 3 months from now you will regret why you wasted your money on the bustards.

You're what people call a ****ing loser. Why should anyone care what CPUs you buy? Matter of fact, why should you care what kind of CPUs people buy? Whether it be an AMD or an Intel CPU.

Please, Intel immoral? Intel is a CORPORATION. AMD is a CORPORATION. They do what they can to make money. If you buy things based on the companie's morals and principles, I bet you really don't have much in your house. Please name me one corporation that hasn't made an immoral decision (excluding your innocent(not!) little underdog, AMD) to grow.

Face the facts, you're actually boycotting Intel CPUs because you're a fanatic AMD fanboy. You (including some others I know in THG) probably have Hector Ruiz's portrait hung up in your bedroom. Am I right? Now, why don't you go back to jacking off to Hector Ruiz and cursing people for buying Intel CPUs while I enjoy life.
July 21, 2006 10:50:51 AM

Quote:

The market doesnt allow you to sell inferior products at higher prices, it doesnt work that way. Could you see Saturn selling its Ion for $40,000? :roll:

MSI K9N-Neo AM2
Sempron64 3600+ AM2 @2.2ghz
1gb OCZ 4-5-4-15
EVGA 7600GT
80gb WD Ide
Sony dual layer 16x DVDR
Antec 350atx

Please, with the name "MrsBytch," can anyone take you seriously? Couldn't come up with a little more creative name? Not surprising... you do have the IQ of a "bytch." But I take that back... my female Coton de Tulear(look it up on google if you have no idea what a Coton is) will probably feel offended.

By the way, my old ass FX-55 Clawhammer underclocked @ 1.8GHz could probably outperform your Sempron @2.2GHz. It's amazing you critizice others for buying Intel CPUs while you have one of the worst performing CPUs. Can you even afford a FX CPU even if it drops to $300? lol
July 21, 2006 11:08:00 AM

Quote:

Hey 9-inch can you suck your own 9-inch? You always BS about Intel regardless of what you put. Post some links if you seen the test, if not keep your thought cause I think it is pointless hearing a diehard fanboy fighting AMD. GO SUK A **** B!TCH

No he cant, 9-inch cant suck his 9-inch because it is not 9-inch, probably more like half
July 21, 2006 11:21:50 AM

Who is conrunt?
Is it one of your aunites you sold to be able to get a Sempron?
July 21, 2006 11:25:05 AM

Quote:

Please, fanboys, don't hurt the puppies. :cry:  :cry:  They can have a full life ahead of them regardless of who sells how many processors and which processor has which score in which benchmark. It is up to you!

NOTE: No puppies were hurt or killed in the making of this forum.

I think the FX62 should go to around $400 price range that is if AMD wants to compete with the E6600, but that would be a big loss nonetheless comsumer would be buy it more. That or AMD would sell the FX62 in places where people are so dumb they will buy it over the E6600.

No offense intended.
July 21, 2006 11:39:50 AM

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Personally I cant see AMD dropping their prices to levels some of you are suggesting. True AMD aint gonna leave prices at a level where no one will buy em and at the same same time they aint gonna drop em to a point where they start making big losses.

Why doesn't eveyone just leave their predictions on here then wait til after Conre is released to see who's wrong & then start the all the name calling, "Bytch slapping" etc.

My prediction is I cant see FX cpu's dropping to $300. If I'm wrong I'll let you all line up and bitch slap me you c**k jockies.

All I know for sure is I'll buy a Cpu that offers decent performance for decent money, be it AMD or Intel.
a c 99 à CPUs
July 21, 2006 12:22:18 PM

Conroe isn't necessarily a *loser* at 64-bit tasks, but its increase from 32 -> 64-bit applications is generally less than AMD's. Which would make sense since AMD wrote the 64-bit spec...
July 21, 2006 12:30:02 PM

I'm an Intel employee. I can safely say that you are full of crap.
July 21, 2006 12:32:32 PM

Quote:

My god, the REAL 40 year old gay virgin posts at Tom's... and his name is MIKE! :lol:  :lol: 
July 21, 2006 12:34:48 PM

Back to the original topic here,

Quote:
Using general performance data supplied by PCMark05 benchmark tests conducted by Tom's Hardware Guide, it appeared from our initial examination that AMD would actually have to destroy the price floor for its dual-core products, plunging prices by as much as 83%.

AMD dual-core price drop must approach 51%
It seems as though AMD would have to dramaticly reduce their prices to become compreable to intel (in the current generation), but even if AMD only reduces its prices by the rumored 50%, I don't know how well AMD will be able to survive even for six months.
Quote:
2005 Revenue (USD): 5.85B
Net Profit Margin: 7.08%

AMD buisness factsheet
If their current profit margin is so small, and they are cutting their prices by about 50%, and investors are dropping left and right (lost about $1billion worth if investors last quarter alone, AMD is going to be in a very sore spot, with a very ugly balance sheet in just a few months. Now I certianly hope this dosen't happen for sake of some good compition, but I think that intel with its superior manuf. capibilities and lower overhead costs is just trying to push AMD out of the market (creating a very bad thing called monopoly).
!