Change Computer Name and Domain Name of Active Directory S..

I have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server that is a domain controller and AD. I
want to change the computer name and the domain name. How do I accomplish
this task? Thank You
--
Paul
2 answers Last reply

    2000 Change domain name is not a really easy good thing to do.
    http://www.petri.co.il/w2k_domain_rename.htm

    2000 Change computer name is a breeze. If you want to change the domain a
    computer belongs to that is much simpler
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=232007

    >I have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server that is a domain controller and AD. I
    > want to change the computer name and the domain name. How do I accomplish
    > this task? Thank You
    > --
    > Paul

    Paul,

    The other Paul is right. On Windows 2000, the best option would be an ADMT
    migration to target domain with the desired name. If you have the option of
    upgrading to Windows 2003 and switching the domain and forest functional
    level to Windows 2003 then the procedure is quite easy.

    1) Rename the domain
    Windows 2003 domain rename tools:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/downloads/domainrename.mspx

    2) The DCs wil have a disjoint namespace which you can fix with a VB script
    in the following KB article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;257623

    3) Once the above are done, you can rename the DCs

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/aad1169a-f0d2-47d5-b0ea-989081ce62be.mspx

    Personally I would do the ADMT migration on 2000 or upgrade to Windows 2003
    and follow the above steps.

    "Paul Bergson" wrote:

    > 2000 Change domain name is not a really easy good thing to do.
    > http://www.petri.co.il/w2k_domain_rename.htm
    >
    > 2000 Change computer name is a breeze. If you want to change the domain a
    > computer belongs to that is much simpler
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=232007
    >
    > --
    >

    > Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

    > "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server that is a domain controller and AD. I
    > > want to change the computer name and the domain name. How do I accomplish
    > > this task? Thank You
    > > --
    > > Paul

Computers Domain Name Active Directory Windows