Change Computer Name and Domain Name of Active Directory S..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 14, 2005 10:02:02 AM

I have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server that is a domain controller and AD. I
want to change the computer name and the domain name. How do I accomplish
this task? Thank You
--
Paul
Anonymous

2000 Change domain name is not a really easy good thing to do.
http://www.petri.co.il/w2k_domain_rename.htm

2000 Change computer name is a breeze. If you want to change the domain a
computer belongs to that is much simpler
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=232007

>I have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server that is a domain controller and AD. I
> want to change the computer name and the domain name. How do I accomplish
> this task? Thank You
> --
> Paul
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 10:32:02 AM

Paul,

The other Paul is right. On Windows 2000, the best option would be an ADMT
migration to target domain with the desired name. If you have the option of
upgrading to Windows 2003 and switching the domain and forest functional
level to Windows 2003 then the procedure is quite easy.

1) Rename the domain
Windows 2003 domain rename tools:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/downloads/do...

2) The DCs wil have a disjoint namespace which you can fix with a VB script
in the following KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;257623

3) Once the above are done, you can rename the DCs

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...

Personally I would do the ADMT migration on 2000 or upgrade to Windows 2003
and follow the above steps.

!