SYSVOL

I have a user that has backed up her laptop by copying certain folders
to her network share. The share is on a domain controller. One of the
folders she backed up was winnt. In there is a sysvol folder and now
all policies and scripts are replicated to and from that folder as well
as the proper sysvol share on this dc. I can't delete it with out
deleting all my policies. Is there a simple solution for getting rid of
this? Thanks in advance for any help.

How does this machine all of a sudden start getting replicated just because
a copy of the data was made? The dfs service has no way of knowing that it
even exists that I'm aware of? Why do you say you know that it is being
replicated?

"jmhj" <jmhj@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a user that has backed up her laptop by copying certain folders to
>her network share. The share is on a domain controller. One of the
>folders she backed up was winnt. In there is a sysvol folder and now all
>policies and scripts are replicated to and from that folder as well as the
>proper sysvol share on this dc. I can't delete it with out deleting all my
>policies. Is there a simple solution for getting rid of this? Thanks in
>advance for any help.

jmhj,

If what you say is correct, then the likely explanation is that the junction
points were copied as well. One way to test it is to do the following:

1) Drop a text file in the following location:

BACKUP DRIVE\USER FOLDER\WINNT\SYSVOL\DOMAIN (the actual folder named domain
not your domain name)

2) See if the file exists in the following locations

a) BACKUP DRIVE\USER FOLDER\WINNT\SYSVOL\SYSVOL\DOMAIN NAME
b) SYSTEM ROOT\WINNT\SYSVOL\DOMAIN
c) SYSTEM ROOT\WINTT\SYSVOL\SYSVOl\DOMAIN NAME

If it exists in any of the above, then junction points were likely copied.
You can use the linkd command from resource kit to examine them. Hope this
helps.

Bart K.

Paul Bergson wrote:

> How does this machine all of a sudden start getting replicated just because
> a copy of the data was made? The dfs service has no way of knowing that it
> even exists that I'm aware of? Why do you say you know that it is being
> replicated?

Paul, Because I see it happen.

Bart,

Thanks. I had already done what you suggested. The way I found this is
my backup would fail trying to backup the share that the user copied
from there laptop. When I tried deleting it, before I realized what was
going on obviously, it deleted all of my scripts and policies. Very bad
and very strange. Never have seen this before. So I did the test that
you suggested. As soon as I would create a txt file in the user share
it would show up in "system root\winnt\sysvol" on all DC's. Crazy!!!
I'll round up the resource kit and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Sorry for the double post. Didn't click reply.

I believe Bart has got it figured out. Just bring up a command prompt and
look for the <Junction> instead of <dir> listing. You should be able to
find the junction point actually there may be two domain name and the
staging area.

> Paul Bergson wrote:
>
>> How does this machine all of a sudden start getting replicated just
>> because a copy of the data was made? The dfs service has no way of
>> knowing that it even exists that I'm aware of? Why do you say you know
>> that it is being replicated?
>>
> Paul, Because I see it happen.
>
> Bart,
>
> Thanks. I had already done what you suggested. The way I found this is
> my backup would fail trying to backup the share that the user copied from
> there laptop. When I tried deleting it, before I realized what was going
> on obviously, it deleted all of my scripts and policies. Very bad and
> very strange. Never have seen this before. So I did the test that you
> suggested. As soon as I would create a txt file in the user share it
> would show up in "system root\winnt\sysvol" on all DC's. Crazy!!! I'll
> round up the resource kit and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
>
> Sorry for the double post. Didn't click reply.

Paul,

Thanks for the tip when running dir, I wasn't aware of that one. I have
found a KB article on how to manipulate junction points that may be of help
to jmhj

How to create and manipulate NTFS junction points
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q205524

"Paul Bergson" wrote:

> I believe Bart has got it figured out. Just bring up a command prompt and
> look for the <Junction> instead of <dir> listing. You should be able to
> find the junction point actually there may be two domain name and the
> staging area.
>
> --
>

> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> "jmhj" <jmhj@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Paul Bergson wrote:
> >
> >> How does this machine all of a sudden start getting replicated just
> >> because a copy of the data was made? The dfs service has no way of
> >> knowing that it even exists that I'm aware of? Why do you say you know
> >> that it is being replicated?
> >>
> > Paul, Because I see it happen.
> >
> > Bart,
> >
> > Thanks. I had already done what you suggested. The way I found this is
> > my backup would fail trying to backup the share that the user copied from
> > there laptop. When I tried deleting it, before I realized what was going
> > on obviously, it deleted all of my scripts and policies. Very bad and
> > very strange. Never have seen this before. So I did the test that you
> > suggested. As soon as I would create a txt file in the user share it
> > would show up in "system root\winnt\sysvol" on all DC's. Crazy!!! I'll
> > round up the resource kit and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
> >
> > Sorry for the double post. Didn't click reply.

You are welcome but you were a step ahead of me on this, nice work.

Paul Bergson wrote:

> You are welcome but you were a step ahead of me on this, nice work.

Got it taken care of now. Thanks guys. I actually used a util. written
by Mark Russinovich over at Systernals called junction. Worked like a
charm. I am not sure how the junction actually was created but it's
gone now. Thanks again.

One thing to keep in mind when working with SYSVOL is that you copy the
SYSVOL directory, the junction points get copied as well. Best thing to do is
to use a backup utility or simply copy only the contents of SYSVOL but not
SYSVOL itself.

Good work and thanks for the tip on the utility :)

"jmhj" wrote:

> Paul Bergson wrote:
>
> > You are welcome but you were a step ahead of me on this, nice work.
> >

> Got it taken care of now. Thanks guys. I actually used a util. written
> by Mark Russinovich over at Systernals called junction. Worked like a
> charm. I am not sure how the junction actually was created but it's
> gone now. Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS