Remote Desktop Control from PocketPC

December 11, 2004 2:54:38 PM

I have the HP iPaq 5455 (with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth)... it'a great device -
running PPC2003... I just downloaded and purchased PocketConsole which
sounds like a great little application allowing you to control your Desktop
PC from the PPC... but I'm working with their support because I can't get it
to connect (well actually once... but it didn't last long). In any case,
anyone else have any luck with this application or others in the same genre?
I'm currently using iTunes and the Airport Express to stream music through
my house, but I have multiple Airport Expresses and the only way to switch
between them is to do it from the Desktop PC (I am using RemoteAmp which is
a great little program allowing you to remotely control iTunes, but it won't
allow you to switch streaming locations)... Any other thoughts?
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 1:05:50 PM

Yep, Ipaq HX4700 sort of works, but makes it unstable and won't work
at all in "accelerated mode".

Had to take it off. May ask for money back.

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:54:38 -0500, "Daniel R. Strack"
<dstrack@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have the HP iPaq 5455 (with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth)... it'a great device -
>running PPC2003... I just downloaded and purchased PocketConsole which
>sounds like a great little application allowing you to control your Desktop
>PC from the PPC... but I'm working with their support because I can't get it
>to connect (well actually once... but it didn't last long). In any case,
>anyone else have any luck with this application or others in the same genre?
>I'm currently using iTunes and the Airport Express to stream music through
>my house, but I have multiple Airport Expresses and the only way to switch
>between them is to do it from the Desktop PC (I am using RemoteAmp which is
>a great little program allowing you to remotely control iTunes, but it won't
>allow you to switch streaming locations)... Any other thoughts?

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 1:05:51 PM

Take a look at vnc, it's free. It was originally an AT&T Labs development
but now several flavors of it are available. Just google for vnc and you'll
find it.

I have a vnc server process running on my desktop pc and connect to it with
my PPC or laptop over my wireless network. It gives me full control of the
pc the server is running on. There is a CE version that will run on your
PPC. Not perfect, there's no screen scaling yet, but I do everything I want
to with it.

I don't allow incoming connections through my cable modem or wireless
router, I don't want to have to bother with the level of security needed for
that to be safe, but I could easily open it up and control my desktop from an
internet connection.

Wayne Davis
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:19:01 PM

I agree, it sounds like a great app. All I get is an error statement when I try to connect, however.

!