disk check for consistency

I am new to windows (about 4 months). Running Windows XP. This AM I booted
my computer and got a blue Windows window recommending i allow automatic disk
check for consistency. I allowed it, but it stopped running at 50%. I
rebooted and it repeated, but stopped after 25% with just a . Can anyone
tell me what is going on? I appreciate your help. Thank you in advance.
--
donald
1 answer Last reply

    It sounds as though there may be problems with your hard drive. The first
    thing you should do is rule out the possibility that it is failing. Go to
    the hard drive manufacturer's website, download their diagnostic tools,
    making note of their instructions for creating a floppy disk to include
    those tools and instructions for running the diagnostic. Then boot from the
    floppy it instructs you to create and run their diagnostic utility to
    determine if the drive is failing. If it is, you will need to replace it as
    soon as possible.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "donald" <donald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am new to windows (about 4 months). Running Windows XP. This AM I
    >booted
    > my computer and got a blue Windows window recommending i allow automatic
    > disk
    > check for consistency. I allowed it, but it stopped running at 50%. I
    > rebooted and it repeated, but stopped after 25% with just a . Can anyone
    > tell me what is going on? I appreciate your help. Thank you in advance.
    > --
    > donald

Microsoft Windows XP