AMD Socket F Opteron to launch in August

Parrot

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005
The dual-core Opteron chip, often referred to as "Revision F" or "Socket F," will support DDR2 memory for the first time, Sunnyvale, Calif.-based AMD has said. Sources familiar with the chip maker's plans said the processor and its socket will be positioned as upgradable to quad-core when available. AMD has said publicly it will release quad-core in the first half of next year.

See here:http://www.crn.com/sections/hardware/hardware.jhtml?articleId=190700091 :lol:

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Woo Hoo, AMD's quad core next year, and Intel will release quad cores on 1 socket this year on 65nm!

Im actually a bit curious by what they mean by "release" I ahve a strong feeling we're talking about one EE chip and/or server chips only. I can't see them doing much more since they were saying they would be churning out mostly netburst chips for the rest of the year. Perhaps I'm wrong in my thinking but if it takes them so long to ramp Conroe to a decent % of shipments it'll take longer to ramp a quad-core (lower yields).

*shrug* I could be wrong...

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Like AM2, non event.

Depends which way you looked at it. If you were BM, 9-mm and the crue then it was a giant leap forward in technology, eclipsed only by the moon landing and the launch of the K6-II processor.

To normal people it was....errr....the neccessity to buy new memory and motherboard if you wanted to go anywhere with your AMD rig with very little (if any) performance change. Woop.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Like AM2, non event.

Depends which way you looked at it. If you were BM, 9-mm and the crue then it was a giant leap forward in technology, eclipsed only by the moon landing and the launch of the K6-II processor.

To normal people it was....errr....the neccessity to buy new memory and motherboard if you wanted to go anywhere with your AMD rig with very little (if any) performance change. Woop.

How dare you presume to imbue the moon landing with greater historical significance than the realease of AM2. :wink:

Peace