Epson 640 Color

Hi there - bit of a funny problem.

I keep getting error messages telling me there is no paper in the
printer when i try to print (there is paper in the printer) its a win98
system and before i formatted the hard drive the printer worked fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers
{FireArm}
6 answers Last reply
More about epson color

    "{FireArm}" <FireArm44@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there - bit of a funny problem.
    >
    > I keep getting error messages telling me there is no paper in the
    > printer when i try to print (there is paper in the printer) its a win98
    > system and before i formatted the hard drive the printer worked fine.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Cheers
    > {FireArm}

    The Win98 "no paper" or similar messages are pretty general. It could mean
    any number of things including the printer port is not set up correctly,
    there is an error on the printer (out of ink), or your cable is not
    connected/working properly (even if you only reinstalled the OS).

    It's usually an error on the printer itself, but your Win98 install may have
    left the port uninstalled or the installation of the driver (Epson Printer
    Port) could have corrupted the port driver.

    The best place to start would be the Device Manager (right click on My
    Computer and choose Properties) and see if the Printer Port is disabled (has
    a red X beside it).

    Again, it's usually something simple...so don't reinstall Windows to try to
    fix it...yet!

    This is almost certainly a printer problem, don't worry about your operating
    system I'm sure it's fine.
    Nearly all (perhaps all actually) inkjet printers do NOT have a sensor that
    tells the printer whether there is any paper available. What they do have is a
    sensor deeper in the printer that detects when paper reaches the sensor. So,
    when the printer tries to feed paper it waits for a period of time and if the
    paper has not reached the sensor it will retry once or twice and if there is
    still no paper at the sensor it posts an error which is reported by the
    operating system as an "Out of Paper" message; this really should be a "Paper
    feed failure". So what is probably happening is the printer attempts to feed
    and the feed failed!
    (BTW this does not apply to the majority of laser printers which do have a
    sensor that actually senses paper presence.)
    Causes are-
    1. An obstruction in the paper feed path close to the paper pick up roller. If
    the problem does not happen every time you try to feed paper then this will not
    be the cause.
    2. Most likely the paper feed roller(s) (pick up roller) are smooth or worn and
    they need to be dressed with Isopropyl alcohol, if you can get access to the
    pick up roller then hold a cloth (not a paper towel) that has beed wetted with
    Isopropyl against the roller while you get the printer to print. Make sure the
    cloth does not get dragged into the printer. Do this several times and see if
    that fixes the problem. Usually when you get this problem there will be a scuff
    mark on the top piece of paper where the roller has tried to pick up the paper.
    Also check that the paper you are using is in good condition and not damaged at
    the leading edge, poor quality paper is more likely to fail than good quality
    paper. The above fix is temporary but I have seen it effective for quite long
    periods of time.
    Tony

    "{FireArm}" <FireArm44@gmail.com> wrote:
    >Hi there - bit of a funny problem.
    >
    >I keep getting error messages telling me there is no paper in the
    >printer when i try to print (there is paper in the printer) its a win98
    >system and before i formatted the hard drive the printer worked fine.
    >
    >Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    >Cheers
    >{FireArm}

    TO rule out one printer problem... Does the printer get as far as
    starting to try to load paper or attempt to load paper several times
    unsuccessfully and then getting this message, or does the printer just
    sit there when you put in a print request?

    Art

    "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > TO rule out one printer problem... Does the printer get as far as
    > starting to try to load paper or attempt to load paper several times
    > unsuccessfully and then getting this message, or does the printer just
    > sit there when you put in a print request?
    >
    > Art

    Yes, of course, but I believe they stated initially that the printer was
    working fine prior to the OS reinstall...that would mean the paper should be
    feeding properly otherwise...

    > Marky wrote:
    >
    > > "{FireArm}" <FireArm44@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hi there - bit of a funny problem.
    > >>
    > >>I keep getting error messages telling me there is no paper in the
    > >>printer when i try to print (there is paper in the printer) its a win98
    > >>system and before i formatted the hard drive the printer worked fine.
    > >>
    > >>Anyone have any ideas?
    > >>
    > >>Cheers
    > >>{FireArm}
    > >

    > > The Win98 "no paper" or similar messages are pretty general. It could
    mean
    > > any number of things including the printer port is not set up correctly,
    > > there is an error on the printer (out of ink), or your cable is not
    > > connected/working properly (even if you only reinstalled the OS).
    > >
    > > It's usually an error on the printer itself, but your Win98 install may
    have
    > > left the port uninstalled or the installation of the driver (Epson
    Printer
    > > Port) could have corrupted the port driver.
    > >
    > > The best place to start would be the Device Manager (right click on My
    > > Computer and choose Properties) and see if the Printer Port is disabled
    (has
    > > a red X beside it).
    > >
    > > Again, it's usually something simple...so don't reinstall Windows to try
    > > fix it...yet!

    Yes, of course what?

    I requested this information from the person who was having the
    difficulty, and so far, no reply.

    I have been working with people on printer issues for about 5 years or
    more now and one thing I've learned is never rule out coincidence of
    timing. I don't know how many times a person attributes a certain
    result to an event which turns out to coincidentally have occurred but
    to have no relationship to the problem, so I always start with trying to
    get the problem as well defined as possible.

    Art

    Marky wrote:

    > "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>TO rule out one printer problem... Does the printer get as far as
    >>starting to try to load paper or attempt to load paper several times
    >>unsuccessfully and then getting this message, or does the printer just
    >>sit there when you put in a print request?
    >>
    >>Art
    >

    > Yes, of course, but I believe they stated initially that the printer was
    > working fine prior to the OS reinstall...that would mean the paper should be
    > feeding properly otherwise...
    >

    >>Marky wrote:
    >>

    >>>"{FireArm}" <FireArm44@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>The Win98 "no paper" or similar messages are pretty general. It could
    >
    > mean
    >
    >>>any number of things including the printer port is not set up correctly,
    >>>there is an error on the printer (out of ink), or your cable is not
    >>>connected/working properly (even if you only reinstalled the OS).
    >>>
    >>>It's usually an error on the printer itself, but your Win98 install may
    >
    > have
    >
    >>>left the port uninstalled or the installation of the driver (Epson
    >
    > Printer
    >
    >>>Port) could have corrupted the port driver.
    >>>
    >>>The best place to start would be the Device Manager (right click on My
    >>>Computer and choose Properties) and see if the Printer Port is disabled
    >
    > (has
    >
    >>>a red X beside it).
    >>>
    >>>Again, it's usually something simple...so don't reinstall Windows to try

    >>>fix it...yet!

    Well that makes two of us...it happens quite often by my experience...the
    drivers for Win 98 do strange things to the port and we end up with 'paper
    jam' errors...

    Wonder if they fixed it yet...

    > Yes, of course what?
    >
    > I requested this information from the person who was having the
    > difficulty, and so far, no reply.
    >
    > I have been working with people on printer issues for about 5 years or
    > more now and one thing I've learned is never rule out coincidence of
    > timing. I don't know how many times a person attributes a certain
    > result to an event which turns out to coincidentally have occurred but
    > to have no relationship to the problem, so I always start with trying to
    > get the problem as well defined as possible.
    >
    > Art
    >

    > Marky wrote:
    >
    > > "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>TO rule out one printer problem... Does the printer get as far as
    > >>starting to try to load paper or attempt to load paper several times
    > >>unsuccessfully and then getting this message, or does the printer just
    > >>sit there when you put in a print request?
    > >>
    > >>Art
    > >

    > > Yes, of course, but I believe they stated initially that the printer was
    > > working fine prior to the OS reinstall...that would mean the paper
    should be
    > > feeding properly otherwise...

    > > mean

    > > have