other operating system present

Help, when i try to upgrade to xp it stops me by saying i
have another operating system present. how to i get over
this
4 answers Last reply
More about other operating system present

    In news:0b7f01c4ab07$3885f380$a601280a@phx.gbl,
    barcrest@excite.com <barcrest@excite.com> typed:

    > Help, when i try to upgrade to xp it stops me by saying i
    > have another operating system present. how to i get over
    > this

    Presumably you have an OEM of Windows. OEM copies can do clean
    installations only, not upgrades, and you can't "get over this."

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    If you are trying to upgrade with an OEM cd the installer will prevent you.
    Read the details of the message. It may simply be waiting for you to make a
    decision to proceed and replace the existing operating system.

    <barcrest@excite.com> wrote in message
    > Help, when i try to upgrade to xp it stops me by saying i
    > have another operating system present. how to i get over
    > this

    Apparently, you acquired an "OEM Version" of Windows XP.
    OEM versions cannot upgrade an existing Windows installation. Only
    "retail versions" can upgrade. Either purchase a "retail version" of Windows XP
    or reformat your drive to install the OEM version "clean".

    Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "barcrest" wrote:

    | Help, when i try to upgrade to xp it stops me by saying i
    | have another operating system present. how to i get over
    | this

    I am having the same problem!!

    I have a OEM version of XP Home which I am attempting to
    upgrade using a Microsoft XP Pro upgrade ie a Retail
    version.

    Any ideas

    aspx

    >"barcrest" wrote:
    >
    >| Help, when i try to upgrade to xp it stops me by
    saying i
    >| have another operating system present. how to i get
    over
    >| this
    >.

Microsoft Windows XP