Sign in with
Your question

x1900xt and my 450 PSU, Help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 20, 2006 8:26:13 PM

hey, this is my first post here =0

I finally decided to upgrade my 6800gt to a x1900xt, probably a sapphire at that. I have a 450watt Aerocool PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817101206

I was wondering if this PSU would be enough to run my future x1900xt or if I had to upgrade to a better psu? I am not too savvy with the psu tech talk, I believe my +12v rail is rated at 26a? I am running an amd64 chip with a dvd player, a audigy2 card, 1 7200rpm HD and 2 sticks of 1gb corsair ram.

Thanks in advance!

More about : x1900xt 450 psu

July 20, 2006 8:58:34 PM

I personally think you should be fine... and the psu calculator from extreme is telling me 320w... add 25% for safety and it's only 400. The 26amps on the 12v rail is sufficient.

Aerocool is not a brand I would normally recommend but you should be ok if the voltages remain constant.
July 20, 2006 9:43:39 PM

Quote:
I was wondering if this PSU would be enough to run my future x1900xt or if I had to upgrade to a better psu? I am not too savvy with the psu tech talk, I believe my +12v rail is rated at 26a? I am running an amd64 chip with a dvd player, a audigy2 card, 1 7200rpm HD and 2 sticks of 1gb corsair ram.

Even if it powers the GPU initially, I recommend replacing it as soon as funds are available. You can get a significantlt better quality PS for around 80 bucks or get this sweet mushkin for $90. Excellent quality mid-priced PS.
Related resources
July 20, 2006 10:19:23 PM

I would move up to a 550 wt psu or there abouts. You might get by on less, but if you ever decide to add some more hardware, you'll need the extra wts. Besides, as I've found by experience, ATI cards are hungry for power.
July 20, 2006 10:25:25 PM

yup, you are fine man. You do not need all that power like so many ppl say. That calculator waylander mentioned is a pretty good one.

Dont worry about upgrading... unless of course you want a better brand, which can translate into better quality/longer lasting. But for raw power, you have enough.
July 21, 2006 5:21:37 AM

just curious then, what would be the best way to make sure that my PSU's voltage does in fact remain constant?
July 21, 2006 6:24:10 AM

On ATI's website the minimum requirement for a power supply is 450 watts for a system with a X1900 graphics card. I could not find an indication of how many amps they wanted on the 12v rail.
July 21, 2006 1:36:43 PM

Quote:
On ATI's website the minimum requirement for a power supply is 450 watts for a system with a X1900 graphics card. I could not find an indication of how many amps they wanted on the 12v rail.

26A I think. I'd go beefier than that if you want to OC the GPU and/or CPU.
July 21, 2006 1:57:44 PM

my gpu and cpu are oc'd a bit (no voltage increases of course) and I run 2 opticals, saitek keyboard (lights) and fps pad (like belkin nostromo but w/ lights), many usb components (ipod, printer etc.) and all is fine. Even on the psu calculator I cant get over 390 @ peak usage. That gives plenty of headroom for even modest oc's.

You are fine.
July 21, 2006 2:01:15 PM

I'm using a FSP 450. It works fine stock but I can overclock past it's limits. Frankly that is too close for comfort. When I was using my 540 (D0, power hog) at 3.8 GHz it rebooted in 3dmark06. 3.4 worked fine. Now I have my 530j (E0) at 3.75GHz no problems. I think if you have a Pentium 4, Pentium D, or a X2 you want more power. If you have a Athlon 64 or Core 2 Duo it's fine.
July 21, 2006 2:11:56 PM

i'm running an X1800XT and according to ATiTool under full load it draws 24.5A, since your looking at the X1900XT i'm sure it will be just a little more, like 26A, for high end graphics cards i would always reccomend 28A, the amp requirement for a 7900GTX is 26A so i think you'll be okay, but something with more amp would make me feel safer i guess
July 21, 2006 2:35:58 PM

Quote:
...so i think you'll be okay, but something with more amp would make me feel safer i guess

I think that is fair... I am sure that in a year or so I will have to replace mine as they do "wear out" and performance sufferes. You will be fine, but more is always better ;) 
July 21, 2006 8:33:28 PM

sorry for cutting in but, what about a 18A psu? would that be sufficient, im using a Thermaltake Purepower 480W psu , im planing to get a

-asus p5w dh Deluxe mobo
-core 2 duo e6600
-2 gigs of ram
-ati radeon 1900xt (or a new dx10 card(midrange one, thatl cost no more than $400, not planing to do xfire)
-2 hard drives (IDE)
- 2 optical drives (dvd, and cd-rw)
-7x80 mm fans in the case
-mouse is powered from an external power supply(Logitech wireless)

would the psu that im using be enough?

thx
July 21, 2006 8:39:16 PM

many psu's have multiple 12v rails, not sure what yours has (look it up) but if it was only one @ 18A them that is not enough, but 2 or even 3 and you are fine.
July 21, 2006 8:43:38 PM

ok will check it my psu was from the w011 series i thinik, ill check it up
July 21, 2006 8:44:00 PM

ok will check it my psu was from the w011 series i thinik, ill check it up
July 25, 2006 5:29:39 PM

ya, you are in a bad spot there man. Pretty sure it is advised to have 20A on the 12v rail(s) total. b/c you only have one, that 18A will struggle. You are welcome to try it, and it may even work for a while. The problem is that if it is not giving enough, then it could hose the card over time. That would be bad.

sucks, but you prb need a psu w/ more amps on the 12v. (not necessarily more wattage)
July 25, 2006 5:40:11 PM

Quote:
ya, you are in a bad spot there man. Pretty sure it is advised to have 20A on the 12v rail(s) total. b/c you only have one, that 18A will struggle. You are welcome to try it, and it may even work for a while. The problem is that if it is not giving enough, then it could hose the card over time. That would be bad.

sucks, but you prb need a psu w/ more amps on the 12v. (not necessarily more wattage)

(Sitting back relaxing as my mushkin is ready to instantly fuse its 20A 12V rails at a moment's notice) Some things are worth paying extra for...
July 25, 2006 7:21:47 PM

Quote:

(Sitting back relaxing as my mushkin is ready to instantly fuse its 20A 12V rails at a moment's notice) Some things are worth paying extra for...

hm... so ill get a new psu and will replay later on to ur reply in the same way in that year or so ....sitting back relaxing... :wink: at the time when i bought it this psu did cost me that 90$..and that was the cheapest on the net at that time, i didnt even consider looking at the amperage then that 2 years ago

what would be beter geting a new psu (what watage/amperage should it be so i could use it with lets say the dx10 cards even in xfire, and the next gen dx10 cards...i dont want to get new psu's everytime im geting anew gpu lol), or would it be beter to get one of those internal 300W psus only for the gpu? then i could keep my curent psu, and use it for mobo, ram, 2hd's optical drives /fans, and i could use the other one for the gpu, i also have a 360W psu (a bi tolder than the one i have now, i used it about for a year), im shoor its even "crapier" than the thermaltake one, it was the original one from the sony vaio pc (alteast it used to be a vaio lol when i got it :wink: ...before i changed the case, psu, aded ram, and a new gpu, and a hd :wink:
July 25, 2006 7:24:39 PM

Quote:
The problem is that if it is not giving enough, then it could hose the card over time. That would be bad.
quote]

im not shoor if i understood You, but do u mean to say it might fry the gpu, if the psu overloads? ....i didnt have much sleap...sorry lol
July 25, 2006 7:26:52 PM

depends on what you want to spend. If you can afford it (lol) get a PCpower and cooling psu and you would never have to get another one...

...but back to reality (they are EXPENSIVE) I would personally get a good quality 550 watt (or so) psu from thermaltake, enermax, seasonic or the like and make sure that there are at least 2 12v rails. (most of them do, but niche "silent" versions like what you have lose some of the high-power features to keep heat down)

active pfc is of course better, and if you can find it under whatever budget you have then that is better.

The add-in power for gpu's is just a stop-bap solution if you cant afford the full psu. Never used one so cant comment beyond that.
July 25, 2006 7:28:31 PM

Quote:
The problem is that if it is not giving enough, then it could hose the card over time. That would be bad.

im not shoor if i understood You, but do u mean to say it might fry the gpu, if the psu overloads? ....i didnt have much sleap...sorry lol

no, I mean if it underloads... it is a much more subtle hit to the card and takes some time to do it. But sure as a lightening strike and a power surge it can tank your card.
July 25, 2006 9:48:58 PM

thx for the info, the psu which im using has an active pfc, but again i gues it will not be helping me much :wink: ....not enough amps :cry: 
!