Completely remove XP Pro

I need to completely remove XP from a Compaq Presario system so that I have a
completely clean box with no lurking OS at all. I've been told I need to use
fdisk but fdisk does not appear to be supported by XP. How can I get back to
a pristine system?
14 answers Last reply
More about completely remove

    Probably the easiest way is to remove the hard drive and either mount it in
    another machine or mount it in an external usb2 enclosure and then use the
    second computer's Disk Manager to reformat the disk or run drivescrubber.

    "notapro" <notapro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need to completely remove XP from a Compaq Presario system so that I have
    > completely clean box with no lurking OS at all. I've been told I need to
    > use
    > fdisk but fdisk does not appear to be supported by XP. How can I get back
    > a pristine system?

    Well, this sounds like a reasonable solution but it may take me a while.
    Remember, I'm "not a pro." In any case, I'll give this a try and see where it
    takes me. Thanks a bunch for the suggestion.

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Probably the easiest way is to remove the hard drive and either mount it in
    > another machine or mount it in an external usb2 enclosure and then use the
    > second computer's Disk Manager to reformat the disk or run drivescrubber.
    >
    > "notapro" <notapro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I need to completely remove XP from a Compaq Presario system so that I have
    > > completely clean box with no lurking OS at all. I've been told I need to
    > > use
    > > fdisk but fdisk does not appear to be supported by XP. How can I get back
    > > a pristine system?

    Download the free trial version of DriveScrubber:
    http://www.iolo.com/ds/index.cfm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "notapro" wrote:

    | I need to completely remove XP from a Compaq Presario system so that I have a
    | completely clean box with no lurking OS at all. I've been told I need to use
    | fdisk but fdisk does not appear to be supported by XP. How can I get back to
    | a pristine system?

    Carey & Null,

    Thanks for the info. I'll try drivescrubber but not sure if it will run. If
    not I will try and dig up a dos boot disk with fdisk on it. I'll be back if
    neither work...

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Download the free trial version of DriveScrubber:
    > http://www.iolo.com/ds/index.cfm
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "notapro" wrote:
    >
    > | I need to completely remove XP from a Compaq Presario system so that I have a
    > | completely clean box with no lurking OS at all. I've been told I need to use
    > | fdisk but fdisk does not appear to be supported by XP. How can I get back to
    > | a pristine system?

    Carey,

    I downloaded drivescrubber from another machine (mine is at a DOS prompt),
    copied it onto a diskette, took the diskette to my machine and tried to
    execute from there. The install failed with internal error. I think this is
    because I currently do not have a complete operating system installed - just
    pieces of XP that won't go away. Do I need to re-install XP, then install
    drivescrubber and finally run drivescrubber which will completely remove XP?
    Or, if there is another way to go about this I would be extremely grateful to
    know what it might be. Thanks in advance...

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Download the free trial version of DriveScrubber:
    > http://www.iolo.com/ds/index.cfm
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "notapro" wrote:
    >
    > | I need to completely remove XP from a Compaq Presario system so that I have a
    > | completely clean box with no lurking OS at all. I've been told I need to use
    > | fdisk but fdisk does not appear to be supported by XP. How can I get back to
    > | a pristine system?

    What is it that you are actually trying to do and for what reason? Are you
    trying to remove XP and completely wipe the drive because you are going to
    give the computer or hard drive away? Are you simply trying to wipe the
    system in order to clean install XP, give us a little more information and
    maybe we can guide you better.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    > Carey,
    >
    > I downloaded drivescrubber from another machine (mine is at a DOS prompt),
    > copied it onto a diskette, took the diskette to my machine and tried to
    > execute from there. The install failed with internal error. I think this
    > is
    > because I currently do not have a complete operating system installed -
    > just
    > pieces of XP that won't go away. Do I need to re-install XP, then install
    > drivescrubber and finally run drivescrubber which will completely remove
    > XP?
    > Or, if there is another way to go about this I would be extremely grateful
    > know what it might be. Thanks in advance...
    >

    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Download the free trial version of DriveScrubber:
    >> http://www.iolo.com/ds/index.cfm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >>
    >> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    >>
    >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>
    >> "notapro" wrote:
    >>
    >> | I need to completely remove XP from a Compaq Presario system so that I
    >> have a
    >> | completely clean box with no lurking OS at all. I've been told I need
    >> to use
    >> | fdisk but fdisk does not appear to be supported by XP. How can I get
    >> back to
    >> | a pristine system?

    I am trying to completely remove XP and wipe the drive so that no remnants of
    XP remain. The ultimate goal is to install a server OS but I don't want to
    install that on top of XP.

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > What is it that you are actually trying to do and for what reason? Are you
    > trying to remove XP and completely wipe the drive because you are going to
    > give the computer or hard drive away? Are you simply trying to wipe the
    > system in order to clean install XP, give us a little more information and
    > maybe we can guide you better.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "notapro" <notapro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Carey,
    > >
    > > I downloaded drivescrubber from another machine (mine is at a DOS prompt),
    > > copied it onto a diskette, took the diskette to my machine and tried to
    > > execute from there. The install failed with internal error. I think this
    > > is
    > > because I currently do not have a complete operating system installed -
    > > just
    > > pieces of XP that won't go away. Do I need to re-install XP, then install
    > > drivescrubber and finally run drivescrubber which will completely remove
    > > XP?
    > > Or, if there is another way to go about this I would be extremely grateful
    > > know what it might be. Thanks in advance...
    > >

    > > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Download the free trial version of DriveScrubber:
    > >> http://www.iolo.com/ds/index.cfm
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Carey Frisch
    > >> Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > >>
    > >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    > >> have a
    > >> to use
    > >> back to

    It looks as though Colin, in this thread has an option for you.
    Additionally, you don't need to have an OS installed in order to run FDISK,
    you only need a boot floppy that contains the utility. Then boot from the
    floppy, at the prompt type fdisk and press enter. This by the way, will not
    completely wipe the drive as you appear to want to do though it shouldn't be
    necessary to do anything more than this for your purposes.

    But, if you wish to completely wipe the drive, Colin would seem to have
    provided a means by which you can run the trial utility you have downloaded.

    --

    >I am trying to completely remove XP and wipe the drive so that no remnants
    >of
    > XP remain. The ultimate goal is to install a server OS but I don't want to
    > install that on top of XP.
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> What is it that you are actually trying to do and for what reason? Are
    >> you
    >> trying to remove XP and completely wipe the drive because you are going
    >> give the computer or hard drive away? Are you simply trying to wipe the
    >> system in order to clean install XP, give us a little more information
    >> and
    >> maybe we can guide you better.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "notapro" <notapro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Carey,
    >> >
    >> > I downloaded drivescrubber from another machine (mine is at a DOS
    >> > prompt),
    >> > copied it onto a diskette, took the diskette to my machine and tried to
    >> > execute from there. The install failed with internal error. I think
    >> > this
    >> > is
    >> > because I currently do not have a complete operating system installed -
    >> > just
    >> > pieces of XP that won't go away. Do I need to re-install XP, then
    >> > install
    >> > drivescrubber and finally run drivescrubber which will completely
    >> > remove
    >> > XP?
    >> > Or, if there is another way to go about this I would be extremely
    >> > grateful
    >> > know what it might be. Thanks in advance...

    I'm going to look for a boot disk with fdisk on it and also see if I can do
    as Collin suggests. If neither approach solves my dilemma I will be back with
    additional questions. Thanks for the help.

    notapro wrote:
    > I need to completely remove XP from a Compaq Presario system so that I have a
    > completely clean box with no lurking OS at all. I've been told I need to use
    > fdisk but fdisk does not appear to be supported by XP. How can I get back to
    > a pristine system?

    You can boot to a DOS boot disk that has fdisk on it, then using fdisk
    you can remove the non-dos partition (aka WinXP).

    posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
    of this message.

    If you are installing Windows 2003 server, then you cannot upgrade from XP
    anyway and you can simply format during the installation. Just do not use
    the Quick Format option.

    > Well, this sounds like a reasonable solution but it may take me a while.
    > Remember, I'm "not a pro." In any case, I'll give this a try and see where
    > it
    > takes me. Thanks a bunch for the suggestion.
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> Probably the easiest way is to remove the hard drive and either mount it
    >> in
    >> another machine or mount it in an external usb2 enclosure and then use
    >> the
    >> second computer's Disk Manager to reformat the disk or run drivescrubber.
    >>
    >> "notapro" <notapro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I need to completely remove XP from a Compaq Presario system so that I
    >> >have
    >> > completely clean box with no lurking OS at all. I've been told I need
    >> > use
    >> > fdisk but fdisk does not appear to be supported by XP. How can I get
    >> > back
    >> > a pristine system?

    All you need to do is to create the DriveScrubber floppy
    disk, then insert that disk in your computer, then reboot.

    Instructions for installing DriveScrubber on your computer
    http://www.iolo.com/ds/tutorial.cfm?id=47&collection

    Wiping a disk or drive with DriveScrubber Personal Edition
    http://www.iolo.com/ds/tutorial.cfm?id=45&collection

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "notapro" wrote:

    | Carey,
    |
    | I downloaded drivescrubber from another machine (mine is at a DOS prompt),
    | copied it onto a diskette, took the diskette to my machine and tried to
    | execute from there. The install failed with internal error. I think this is
    | because I currently do not have a complete operating system installed - just
    | pieces of XP that won't go away. Do I need to re-install XP, then install
    | drivescrubber and finally run drivescrubber which will completely remove XP?
    | Or, if there is another way to go about this I would be extremely grateful to
    | know what it might be. Thanks in advance...

    If Compaq still has a hidden proprietary sector, fdisk won't do it.
    you'll need to do a low level format using debug.

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:29:06 -0700, "notapro"
    <notapro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Well, this sounds like a reasonable solution but it may take me a while.
    >Remember, I'm "not a pro." In any case, I'll give this a try and see where it
    >takes me. Thanks a bunch for the suggestion.
    >
    >"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> Probably the easiest way is to remove the hard drive and either mount it in
    >> another machine or mount it in an external usb2 enclosure and then use the
    >> second computer's Disk Manager to reformat the disk or run drivescrubber.
    >>
    >> "notapro" <notapro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I need to completely remove XP from a Compaq Presario system so that I have
    >> > completely clean box with no lurking OS at all. I've been told I need to
    >> > use
    >> > fdisk but fdisk does not appear to be supported by XP. How can I get back
    >> > a pristine system?

    It should not be necessary to fdisk if all you are doing is installing the
    OS and not trying to obliterate sensitive personal data. Formatting the
    drive should be sufficient.

    "Jack Daniels" <Barrister5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If Compaq still has a hidden proprietary sector, fdisk won't do it.
    > you'll need to do a low level format using debug.
    >

    > On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:29:06 -0700, "notapro"
    > <notapro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Well, this sounds like a reasonable solution but it may take me a while.
    >>Remember, I'm "not a pro." In any case, I'll give this a try and see where
    >>it
    >>takes me. Thanks a bunch for the suggestion.
    >>
    >>"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Probably the easiest way is to remove the hard drive and either mount it
    >>> in
    >>> another machine or mount it in an external usb2 enclosure and then use
    >>> the
    >>> second computer's Disk Manager to reformat the disk or run
    >>> drivescrubber.
    >>>
    >>> "notapro" <notapro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Fdisk Microsoft Windows XP